Acronis 11- is it dangerous? - Storage

This is a discussion on Acronis 11- is it dangerous? - Storage ; I just bought Acronis "True Image 11 Home" and read the 120 page pdf manual. I'm blown away with how powerful the program is. I haven't yet installed the program but will soon. Since the program is so powerful, I'm ...

  1. Acronis 11- is it dangerous?

    I just bought Acronis "True Image 11 Home" and read the 120 page pdf manual.
    I'm blown away with how powerful the program is. I haven't yet installed the
    program but will soon. Since the program is so powerful, I'm afraid I'll hit
    the wrong button somewhere and cause some damage to the system. Or, since
    the program can make major changes to the file system- if it's buggy, it
    could blow up the system.

    Am I being paranoid or is there any real danger? I'm using Vista on a new
    high end Dell which as of now seems very stable. I installed a 500 gig hard
    drive for video editing and as a place for backups, but now that I've read
    the manual, I think I'll also get an external USB drive for backups.

    Joe

  2. Re: Acronis 11- is it dangerous?

    Joe wrote:

    > I just bought Acronis "True Image 11 Home" and read the 120 page pdf manual. I'm blown away with how powerful the
    > program is. I haven't yet installed the program but will soon. Since the program is so powerful, I'm afraid I'll hit
    > the wrong button somewhere and cause some damage to the system.

    Cant see any area where you can do that except that like with
    any imager, you can obviously restore an old image that wont
    work to your system without an image of the current system,
    so you cant go back to the known working system etc.

    > Or, since the program can make major changes to the file system- if it's buggy, it could blow up the system.

    Yes, thats theoretically possible with any imager
    or backup program if the restore doesnt work.

    But with TI, there's a decent support forum so you would be able
    to see that plenty have problems with it before you use it yourself.

    > Am I being paranoid

    Yes.

    > or is there any real danger?

    Just the obvious one I mentioned at the top that any imager has.

    > I'm using Vista on a new high end Dell which as of now seems very stable. I installed a 500 gig hard drive for video
    > editing and as a place for backups, but now that I've read the manual, I think I'll also get an external USB drive for
    > backups.

    Yeah, its very handy. And having plenty of storage to write images to
    minimises the risk that you wont have a current image of the working
    system to return to if you do stuff things up with a restore restoring
    what you thought was a working system but which is a dud one etc.

  3. Re: Acronis 11- is it dangerous?

    Joe wrote:
    > I just bought Acronis "True Image 11 Home" and read the 120 page pdf
    > manual.
    > I'm blown away with how powerful the program is. I haven't yet installed
    > the
    > program but will soon. Since the program is so powerful, I'm afraid I'll
    > hit
    > the wrong button somewhere and cause some damage to the system. Or, since
    > the program can make major changes to the file system- if it's buggy, it
    > could blow up the system.
    >
    > Am I being paranoid or is there any real danger? I'm using Vista on a new
    > high end Dell which as of now seems very stable. I installed a 500 gig hard
    > drive for video editing and as a place for backups, but now that I've read
    > the manual, I think I'll also get an external USB drive for backups.
    >
    > Joe

    I used v11 to create a secure zone on the Vista HDD and after doing a
    backup and rebooting to load up Vista it wouldn't load because it
    claimed a boot file was missing. Had to use my Vista disk to repair it
    and then it was ok. Didn't happen when I did the same thing on XP. I
    complained to Acronis about it and they just told me to do what I had
    already done to fix it. I don't see any great benefit to me of v11 over
    v10. Sure a few new features but nothing I will ever use. They added a
    HDD wipe utility but there are quite a few of those you can get for free
    already.

+ Reply to Thread