any obvious choices for a data recovery program? - Storage

This is a discussion on any obvious choices for a data recovery program? - Storage ; Hello. Windows xp was kind enough to (quick)format a 500 gb sata drive as 128 gb during an attempt to install it on a different (pata) drive, so now I'm wondering what's the most reliable/convenient software that could be used ...

  1. any obvious choices for a data recovery program?

    Hello.
    Windows xp was kind enough to (quick)format a 500 gb sata drive as 128
    gb during an attempt to install it on a different (pata) drive, so now
    I'm wondering what's the most reliable/convenient software that could
    be used to recover some of the data on the sata drive.
    Is there any obvious choice of a data recovering program that might be
    able to retrieve some data from a ntfs sata drive that has been
    formatted (in quick mode)?

    Kind regards & thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek

  2. Re: any obvious choices for a data recovery program?

    sobriquet wrote:

    > Windows xp was kind enough to (quick)format a 500 gb sata drive as 128
    > gb during an attempt to install it on a different (pata) drive, so now
    > I'm wondering what's the most reliable/convenient software that could
    > be used to recover some of the data on the sata drive.
    > Is there any obvious choice of a data recovering program that might be
    > able to retrieve some data from a ntfs sata drive that has been
    > formatted (in quick mode)?
    >
    > Kind regards & thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek

    Virtually all of the recovery programs can do that fine.

    I like easy recovery pro, but it isnt cheap if you have to pay for it.

  3. Re: any obvious choices for a data recovery program?

    On 23 feb, 22:36, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > sobriquet wrote:
    > > Windows xp was kind enough to (quick)format a 500 gb sata drive as 128
    > > gb during an attempt to install it on a different (pata) drive, so now
    > > I'm wondering what's the most reliable/convenient software that could
    > > be used to recover some of the data on the sata drive.
    > > Is there any obvious choice of a data recovering program that might be
    > > able to retrieve some data from a ntfs sata drive that has been
    > > formatted (in quick mode)?

    > > Kind regards & thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek

    > Virtually all of the recovery programs can do that fine.
    >
    > I like easy recovery pro, but it isnt cheap if you have to pay for it.

    Is there any way to prevent further loss of data when hooking up the
    drive and windows might automatically do things to the drive that
    reduce the chances of data recovery?
    Or can I simply hook up the drive, boot in vista and attempt a
    recovery?

  4. Re: any obvious choices for a data recovery program?

    sobriquet wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> sobriquet wrote

    >>> Windows xp was kind enough to (quick)format a 500 gb sata drive
    >>> as 128 gb during an attempt to install it on a different (pata) drive,
    >>> so now I'm wondering what's the most reliable/convenient software
    >>> that could be used to recover some of the data on the sata drive.
    >>> Is there any obvious choice of a data recovering program that might
    >>> be able to retrieve some data from a ntfs sata drive that has been
    >>> formatted (in quick mode)?

    >>> Kind regards & thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek

    >> Virtually all of the recovery programs can do that fine.

    >> I like easy recovery pro, but it isnt cheap if you have to pay for it.

    > Is there any way to prevent further loss of data when hooking
    > up the drive and windows might automatically do things to the
    > drive that reduce the chances of data recovery?

    > Or can I simply hook up the drive, boot in vista and attempt a recovery?

    You obviously need somewhere to install the recovery program unless
    you run it from a live bootable CD like with Hiren's bootable CD, and
    there is some risk of stuffing things up even worse given that the OS
    does appear to be getting confused about which drive is which if that
    wasnt just you getting confused about which one you told it to quick format.

  5. Re: any obvious choices for a data recovery program?

    On 23 feb, 23:21, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > sobriquet wrote
    >

    > > Rod Speed wrote
    > >> sobriquet wrote
    > >> Virtually all of the recovery programs can do that fine.
    > >> I like easy recovery pro, but it isnt cheap if you have to pay for it.

    > > Is there any way to prevent further loss of data when hooking
    > > up the drive and windows might automatically do things to the
    > > drive that reduce the chances of data recovery?
    > > Or can I simply hook up the drive, boot in vista and attempt a recovery?

    > You obviously need somewhere to install the recovery program unless
    > you run it from a live bootable CD like with Hiren's bootable CD, and
    > there is some risk of stuffing things up even worse given that the OS
    > does appear to be getting confused about which drive is which if that
    > wasnt just you getting confused about which one you told it to quick format.

    I have a 80 gb pata drive with a vista partition and that's were I
    plan to install the recovery software. The 500 gb sata drive is a
    separate physical drive.
    I don't plan to try and install xp next to vista (on a separate
    partition on the 80 gb pata drive) before making a proper backup (with
    acronis) to avoid the hassle of installing vista again (xp didn't just
    format my 500 gb sata drive, but also screwed up my vista installation
    beyond recovery on the pata drive).

  6. Re: any obvious choices for a data recovery program?

    On 23 feb, 23:21, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > sobriquet wrote
    >

    > > Rod Speed wrote
    > >> sobriquet wrote
    > >> Virtually all of the recovery programs can do that fine.
    > >> I like easy recovery pro, but it isnt cheap if you have to pay for it.

    > > Is there any way to prevent further loss of data when hooking
    > > up the drive and windows might automatically do things to the
    > > drive that reduce the chances of data recovery?
    > > Or can I simply hook up the drive, boot in vista and attempt a recovery?

    > You obviously need somewhere to install the recovery program unless
    > you run it from a live bootable CD like with Hiren's bootable CD, and
    > there is some risk of stuffing things up even worse given that the OS
    > does appear to be getting confused about which drive is which if that
    > wasnt just you getting confused about which one you told it to quick format

    Regarding the confusion... I specifically paid carefull attention to
    selecting the proper partition on the pata drive where I intended to
    install windows xp, but subsequently neglected to pay attention to
    windows which somehow suddenly decided it might be a good idea to
    format that other drive.

  7. Re: any obvious choices for a data recovery program?

    On 24 feb, 00:03, sobriquet wrote:
    > On 23 feb, 23:21, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    >

    > > sobriquet wrote

    > > > Rod Speed wrote
    > > > Is there any way to prevent further loss of data when hooking
    > > > up the drive and windows might automatically do things to the
    > > > drive that reduce the chances of data recovery?
    > > > Or can I simply hook up the drive, boot in vista and attempt a recovery?

    > > You obviously need somewhere to install the recovery program unless
    > > you run it from a live bootable CD like with Hiren's bootable CD, and
    > > there is some risk of stuffing things up even worse given that the OS
    > > does appear to be getting confused about which drive is which if that
    > > wasnt just you getting confused about which one you told it to quick format

    > Regarding the confusion... I specifically paid carefull attention to
    > selecting the proper partition on the pata drive where I intended to
    > install windows xp, but subsequently neglected to pay attention to
    > windows which somehow suddenly decided it might be a good idea to
    > format that other drive.

    The logic of this completely eludes me... I specifically pick a
    partition where I want to install windows xp and windows xp responds
    in the next screen by picking another drive and asking me to format
    that drive, which I assumed to be the partition I had picked in the
    previous screen where I intended to install windows xp. So, ok, it's
    my mistake and I should have paid closer attention to what drive or
    partition windows actually was going to format, but from my
    perspective it sort of makes sense that if I pick a partition windows
    asks me where I want to install windows that it is going to format
    that partition in the next step.

  8. Re: any obvious choices for a data recovery program?

    On 23 feb, 22:36, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > sobriquet wrote:
    > > Windows xp was kind enough to (quick)format a 500 gb sata drive as 128
    > > gb during an attempt to install it on a different (pata) drive, so now
    > > I'm wondering what's the most reliable/convenient software that could
    > > be used to recover some of the data on the sata drive.
    > > Is there any obvious choice of a data recovering program that might be
    > > able to retrieve some data from a ntfs sata drive that has been
    > > formatted (in quick mode)?

    > > Kind regards & thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek

    > Virtually all of the recovery programs can do that fine.
    >
    > I like easy recovery pro, but it isnt cheap if you have to pay for it.

    I tried easy recovery pro (version 6, probably a bit dated) but it was
    a complete waste of time. All it could recover after many hours were a
    few lousy system files (e.g. 'desktop.ini').

    I guess even a quick format is pretty permanent.
    Not blaming you or the program or anything.. but at least I'm glad
    I didn't pay for it (got it from piratebay). :-)

  9. Re: any obvious choices for a data recovery program?

    http://www.runtime.org/downloads.htm
    download the trial first to be sure it will work for you... it should do the
    job but one never knows.

    btb

    > I guess even a quick format is pretty permanent.
    > Not blaming you or the program or anything.. but at least I'm glad
    > I didn't pay for it (got it from piratebay). :-)

  10. Re: any obvious choices for a data recovery program?

    On 1 mrt, 18:46, "btb" wrote:
    > http://www.runtime.org/downloads.htm
    > download the trial first to be sure it will work for you... it should do the
    > job but one never knows.
    >
    > btb
    >

    > > I guess even a quick format is pretty permanent.
    > > Not blaming you or the program or anything.. but at least I'm glad
    > > I didn't pay for it (got it from piratebay). :-)- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

    Is there no website where a simple test is performed by
    quickformatting a drive or corrupting the filesystem in some way and
    seeing to what degree various utilities are able to retrieve files?

+ Reply to Thread