cheap HD enclosure won't power up HD - Storage

This is a discussion on cheap HD enclosure won't power up HD - Storage ; I bought this $20 enclosure to house an internal SATA drive. Once powered on, the HD only makes a hmmm, hmmm, hmmm looping noise but never fully powers up. I noticed it does not have a big power supply and ...

  1. cheap HD enclosure won't power up HD

    I bought this $20 enclosure to house an internal SATA drive. Once
    powered on, the HD only makes a hmmm, hmmm, hmmm looping noise but
    never fully powers up. I noticed it does not have a big power supply
    and wonder if it's because it does not have strong enough power for
    the HD? The HD works with a SATA to USB adapter.

    I guess I need to buy a more expensive one. What do you think?

  2. Re: cheap HD enclosure won't power up HD

    cpliu wrote:

    > I bought this $20 enclosure to house an internal SATA drive. Once powered
    > on, the HD only makes a hmmm, hmmm, hmmm looping noise but never fully
    > powers up. I noticed it does not have a big power supply and wonder if it's
    > because it does not have strong enough power for the HD?

    Very likely.

    > The HD works with a SATA to USB adapter.

    > I guess I need to buy a more expensive one. What do you think?

    Or a better power supply, anyway.

  3. Re: cheap HD enclosure won't power up HD

    cpliu wrote:
    > I bought this $20 enclosure to house an internal SATA drive. Once
    > powered on, the HD only makes a hmmm, hmmm, hmmm looping noise but
    > never fully powers up. I noticed it does not have a big power supply
    > and wonder if it's because it does not have strong enough power for
    > the HD? The HD works with a SATA to USB adapter.
    >
    > I guess I need to buy a more expensive one. What do you think?

    I have a USB external HDD case that has the same issue. I just power it
    on/off a few times and it will then work.

+ Reply to Thread