disk boot failure - Storage

This is a discussion on disk boot failure - Storage ; I have a home grown old pc running win 2000 pro sp 4. Intermittently, I get a disk boot failure message. I originally thought it was occuring only after short blackouts (2 seconds or so) and that the power supply ...

  1. disk boot failure

    I have a home grown old pc running win 2000 pro sp 4. Intermittently,
    I get a disk boot failure message. I originally thought it was
    occuring only after short blackouts (2 seconds or so) and that the
    power supply was not coming up correctly. I thought this because hard
    - rebooting the pc would correct the issue. In order to fix that
    problem I have purchased and installed a ups. The other day however
    the problem occurred again. The ups showed NO power issues at the
    time. The symptoms are that simply soft rebooting the PC bios shows
    NO drives connected to the primary controller during selftest. The
    current config is master and slave hard drives on primary controller.
    Cdrom drive is master on Secondary controller. I have checked the
    primary drive using full checkdsk on reboot. It took several hours to
    run and reported NO problems with the drive. Do you think this is a
    drive issue, motherboard issue, power supply problem? What do you
    recommend that I test? Has anyone had this problem before?

  2. Re: disk boot failure

    Previously bygracealne wrote:
    > I have a home grown old pc running win 2000 pro sp 4. Intermittently,
    > I get a disk boot failure message. I originally thought it was
    > occuring only after short blackouts (2 seconds or so) and that the
    > power supply was not coming up correctly. I thought this because hard
    > - rebooting the pc would correct the issue. In order to fix that
    > problem I have purchased and installed a ups. The other day however
    > the problem occurred again. The ups showed NO power issues at the
    > time. The symptoms are that simply soft rebooting the PC bios shows
    > NO drives connected to the primary controller during selftest. The
    > current config is master and slave hard drives on primary controller.
    > Cdrom drive is master on Secondary controller. I have checked the
    > primary drive using full checkdsk on reboot. It took several hours to
    > run and reported NO problems with the drive. Do you think this is a
    > drive issue, motherboard issue, power supply problem? What do you
    > recommend that I test? Has anyone had this problem before?

    Sounds very much like a PSU issue, especially in an old machine.
    Just to be sure you can pit the SMART status of the disk here.
    Get it, e.g., with smartctl or some other SMART monitor tool.

    Arno

  3. Re: disk boot failure

    bygracealne wrote:

    > I have a home grown old pc running win 2000 pro sp 4. Intermittently,
    > I get a disk boot failure message. I originally thought it was
    > occuring only after short blackouts (2 seconds or so) and that the
    > power supply was not coming up correctly. I thought this because hard
    > - rebooting the pc would correct the issue.

    Thats usually because the power glitch leaves the system in a funny state.

    > In order to fix that problem I have purchased and installed a ups. The other
    > day however the problem occurred again. The ups showed NO power issues
    > at the time. The symptoms are that simply soft rebooting the PC bios shows
    > NO drives connected to the primary controller during selftest.

    > The current config is master and slave hard drives on primary controller.
    > Cdrom drive is master on Secondary controller. I have checked the
    > primary drive using full checkdsk on reboot. It took several hours to run

    Thats a hell of a long time for that.

    > and reported NO problems with the drive. Do you think this
    > is a drive issue, motherboard issue, power supply problem?

    Could be any of those. Less likely to be the hard drive tho.

    > What do you recommend that I test?

    I'd check the motherboard for bad caps. These are the usually blue
    or black plastic covered post like things that stick up vertically from
    the motherboard surface. The tops should be flat. Any that have
    bulged or have visibly leaked could well be the problem.

    However, swapping the power supply is easier to do than anything
    else and can be worth trying if you are otherwise fresh out of ideas.

    > Has anyone had this problem before?

    Yep.

  4. Re: disk boot failure

    On Feb 12, 8:18*am, Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously bygracealne wrote:
    > > I have a home grown old pc running win 2000 pro sp 4. *Intermittently,
    > > I get a disk boot failure message. *I originally thought it was
    > > occuring only after short blackouts (2 seconds or so) and that the
    > > power supply was not coming up correctly. *I thought this because hard
    > > - rebooting the pc would correct the issue. *In order to fix that
    > > problem I have purchased and installed a ups. *The other day however
    > > the problem occurred again. *The ups showed NO power issues at the
    > > time. *The symptoms are that simply soft rebooting the PC bios shows
    > > NO drives connected to the primary controller during selftest. *The
    > > current config is master and slave hard drives on primary controller.
    > > Cdrom drive is master on Secondary controller. *I have checked the
    > > primary drive using full checkdsk on reboot. *It took several hours to
    > > run and reported NO problems with the drive. * Do you think this is a
    > > drive issue, motherboard issue, power supply problem? *What do you
    > > recommend that I test? *Has anyone had this problem before?

    > Sounds very much like a PSU issue, especially in an old machine.
    > Just to be sure you can pit the SMART status of the disk here.
    > Get it, e.g., with smartctl or some other SMART monitor tool.
    >
    > Arno- Hide quoted text -

    Arno, Thanks for the advice. Any recommendation on a smart drive tool
    to use?

    Paul

  5. Re: disk boot failure

    Previously bygracealne wrote:
    > On Feb 12, 8:18*am, Arno Wagner wrote:
    >> Previously bygracealne wrote:
    >> > I have a home grown old pc running win 2000 pro sp 4. *Intermittently,
    >> > I get a disk boot failure message. *I originally thought it was
    >> > occuring only after short blackouts (2 seconds or so) and that the
    >> > power supply was not coming up correctly. *I thought this because hard
    >> > - rebooting the pc would correct the issue. *In order to fix that
    >> > problem I have purchased and installed a ups. *The other day however
    >> > the problem occurred again. *The ups showed NO power issues at the
    >> > time. *The symptoms are that simply soft rebooting the PC bios shows
    >> > NO drives connected to the primary controller during selftest. *The
    >> > current config is master and slave hard drives on primary controller.
    >> > Cdrom drive is master on Secondary controller. *I have checked the
    >> > primary drive using full checkdsk on reboot. *It took several hours to
    >> > run and reported NO problems with the drive. * Do you think this is a
    >> > drive issue, motherboard issue, power supply problem? *What do you
    >> > recommend that I test? *Has anyone had this problem before?

    >> Sounds very much like a PSU issue, especially in an old machine.
    >> Just to be sure you can pit the SMART status of the disk here.
    >> Get it, e.g., with smartctl or some other SMART monitor tool.
    >>
    >> Arno- Hide quoted text -

    > Arno, Thanks for the advice. Any recommendation on a smart drive tool
    > to use?

    I use smartctl from the smartmontools (->Google). Commandline-only,
    but has good text-output. Speedfan gives you also a good overview,
    but I was unable to get it to write SMART attributes to file.
    Maybe I just did not look long enough. Some people here like
    Everest, which I have not tried so far. Maybe start with that.

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread