WD Passport WD1600U017-005 - Storage

This is a discussion on WD Passport WD1600U017-005 - Storage ; I have a WD 160GB Passport that may have died. When I plug it in I can feel the drive spinning and the little green arrow shows up in the lower right hand corner to "safely remove hardware" , however ...

  1. WD Passport WD1600U017-005

    I have a WD 160GB Passport that may have died. When I plug it in I can
    feel the drive spinning and the little green arrow shows up in the lower
    right hand corner to "safely remove hardware" , however the drive letter
    does not show up in the my comuter file. If I right-click on my
    computer, it locks things up, but if I disconnect the WD Passport, then
    the right-click works properly. If I right-click on my computer and
    click device manager with the WD Passport plugged in, it once again
    locks up the computer. Now if I open the device manager without the WD
    Passport plugged in, click on disk drives, only the main hard drive
    appears. But if I now plug in the WD Passport, it does show up under
    disk drives, and if I click on the WD drive, it tells me that the device
    is working properly. I did back up my data about a month ago, but if
    possible would like to retrieve as much as I can. I will try the bag
    and freezer trick as a last resort. Please help if you can. Hopefully
    my drive is not totally dead. Thanks

  2. Re: WD Passport WD1600U017-005

    bblr wrote:
    > I have a WD 160GB Passport that may have died. When I plug it in I
    > can feel the drive spinning and the little green arrow shows up in
    > the lower right hand corner to "safely remove hardware" , however the
    > drive letter does not show up in the my comuter file. If I
    > right-click on my computer, it locks things up, but if I disconnect
    > the WD Passport, then the right-click works properly. If I
    > right-click on my computer and click device manager with the WD
    > Passport plugged in, it once again locks up the computer. Now if I
    > open the device manager without the WD Passport plugged in, click on
    > disk drives, only the main hard drive appears. But if I now plug in
    > the WD Passport, it does show up under disk drives, and if I click on
    > the WD drive, it tells me that the device is working properly. I did
    > back up my data about a month ago, but if possible would like to
    > retrieve as much as I can. I will try the bag and freezer trick as a
    > last resort. Please help if you can. Hopefully my drive is not
    > totally dead. Thanks

    The USB stack can get rather screwed. See what happens on a different PC if you can.

  3. Re: WD Passport WD1600U017-005

    I've tried it on 4 different computers. All do the same thing.

  4. Re: WD Passport WD1600U017-005

    bblr wrote:

    > I've tried it on 4 different computers. All do the same thing.

    If you want to get the data off it, it would be worth trying the
    drive in a different enclosure, but that will void the warranty.

  5. Re: WD Passport WD1600U017-005

    Thanks. I will try that. Nothing to lose at this point.

+ Reply to Thread