True Image & Norton GoBack - Storage

This is a discussion on True Image & Norton GoBack - Storage ; Hello, I am a PC technician and I have been given the task of doing an Image backup of a Windows XP Home system using Acronis True Image 11. The problem is that the system in question is running Norton ...

  1. True Image & Norton GoBack

    Hello,

    I am a PC technician and I have been given the task of doing an Image
    backup of a Windows XP Home system using Acronis True Image 11. The
    problem is that the system in question is running Norton GoBack, which
    Acronis says is incompatible with True Image.

    Can anyone recommend an alternate strategy to back up this disk? Are
    there any Image Backup solutions (besides, presumably, Norton Ghost)
    that will work on a system with Norton GoBack?

    Dave

  2. Re: True Image & Norton GoBack

    "Dave Hardenbrook" wrote in message
    news:MPG.2217dc02f378dcb398968c@news.west.earthlin k.net...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am a PC technician and I have been given the task of doing an Image
    > backup of a Windows XP Home system using Acronis True Image 11. The
    > problem is that the system in question is running Norton GoBack, which
    > Acronis says is incompatible with True Image.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend an alternate strategy to back up this disk? Are
    > there any Image Backup solutions (besides, presumably, Norton Ghost)
    > that will work on a system with Norton GoBack?
    >
    > Dave

    Dave:
    Are you dead-set on creating a disk image of the source HDD rather than a
    disk clone of the source drive? Assuming you would consider a disk-to-disk
    cloning process, would you be using another HDD (internal or external) that
    would be the recipient of the disk clone? I ask all this because I would
    recommend for your consideration the Casper 4 program, however, that program
    is a disk-cloning type of program and does not have disk imaging capability.
    If you're interested I could provide details re that program and its use.
    Anna

  3. Re: True Image & Norton GoBack

    > news:MPG.2217dc02f378dcb398968c@news.west.earthlin k.net...
    >
    > > Hello,

    > > I am a PC technician and I have been given the task of doing an Image
    > > backup of a Windows XP Home system using Acronis True Image 11. *The
    > > problem is that the system in question is running Norton GoBack, which
    > > Acronis says is incompatible with True Image.

    Dave

    You can use both without problem. I usually use Ghost 9 but recently
    had to use True Image. I installed it and was able to access the True
    Image even though my system uses Ghost.
    Personally, I think I will switch to True Image now for 2 reasons: 1)
    My version of Ghost is getting quite old and doesn't work that well
    with new big external USB hard drive and 2) True Image is VERY well
    integrated to Windows (you can access content of your image as if you
    were simply reading it from a folder...).

    On the other hand, I had two type of incidents with Ghost an dTrue
    Image.
    Ghost: corrupted image detected on the 5th DVD after burning 5. I had
    to restart everything!
    True Image: few application crashes while accessing image. I simply
    reopen the image to (successfully) get its content.

    Good luck to you.

+ Reply to Thread