Best way to replace OS disk with new larger one - Storage

This is a discussion on Best way to replace OS disk with new larger one - Storage ; We have a Dell PowerEdge server and the OS mirrored volume needs to be upgraded to larger disks. Is there a better way to do this other than taking a backup, replacing the disks, re-installing the OS and then restoring ...

  1. Best way to replace OS disk with new larger one

    We have a Dell PowerEdge server and the OS mirrored volume needs to be
    upgraded to larger disks. Is there a better way to do this other than
    taking a backup, replacing the disks, re-installing the OS and then
    restoring from my backup? I'd like to avoid the server being down that long.

    I'm sure there must be some good products that can make this easier.
    Does anyone have one they swear by?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Best way to replace OS disk with new larger one

    instead of backup, you can take an image
    many imaging products allow you to restore an image to a larger volume

    "Jan" wrote in message
    > We have a Dell PowerEdge server and the OS mirrored volume needs to be
    > upgraded to larger disks. Is there a better way to do this other than
    > taking a backup, replacing the disks, re-installing the OS and then
    > restoring from my backup? I'd like to avoid the server being down that

    long.

    > I'm sure there must be some good products that can make this easier.
    > Does anyone have one they swear by?
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: Best way to replace OS disk with new larger one

    If you built the server with Server assist it probably wouldn't be a bad
    idea to evacute the data and restore.

    When you build your server with server assist, it first creates a FAT
    partition and converst it to NTFS later in the build process (Dell is the
    example here; the same is true for multiple vendors). This results in an
    allocation unit size of 512 bytes which causes excessive transactional
    overhead on the boot drive (read poor performance) You can check the
    allocation unit or cluster size of a drive by running chkdsk in readonly
    mode. The default allocation size (including those partitions created by
    setup in windows 2000 SP3 or later) is 4K.

    1. From the command line run chkdsk with no options. This runs chkdsk in
    read only mode. Toward the bottom of the output, you'll see a line like
    "512 bytes in each allocation unit."

    2. In the disk defragmentation aplet in the MMC, select the disk and click
    "analyze". After the disk is analyzed, click the "veiw report" button.
    There is no need to actually defragment the disk. In the report, you'll see
    a line like "cluster size = 512 bytes"

    When an application sends an IO request larger than the allocation unit size
    to the filesystem, NTFS splits the request into multiple IO requests of the
    allocation unit size. You can see this with the perfmon physical disk
    counter split IOs/sec. If the allocation unit size is 512 bytes, and the
    application sends a 4K request, NTFS splits it into 8 512byte IOs and sends
    8 IOs to the disk.

    Format the new mirror and create your partitions first with a Windows setup
    disk (yeah, you'll need a disk with the dell raid drivers handy). At this
    point do your system state restore onto the new disks. You'll not only have
    larger drives, you'll improve your performance as well.

    "Jan" wrote in message
    > We have a Dell PowerEdge server and the OS mirrored volume needs to be
    > upgraded to larger disks. Is there a better way to do this other than
    > taking a backup, replacing the disks, re-installing the OS and then
    > restoring from my backup? I'd like to avoid the server being down that
    > long.
    >
    > I'm sure there must be some good products that can make this easier. Does
    > anyone have one they swear by?
    >
    > Thanks

+ Reply to Thread