Need to rreformat hard drive. - Storage

This is a discussion on Need to rreformat hard drive. - Storage ; While reloading WinXP in Sony laptop, I succeeded in plugging up the HD to the extent that all I get is an error message that leads to an infinite number of reboots. I would like to pull the HD from ...

  1. Need to rreformat hard drive.

    While reloading WinXP in Sony laptop, I succeeded in plugging up the
    HD to the extent that all I get is an error message that leads to an
    infinite number of reboots. I would like to pull the HD from the Sony
    and figure out a way for my main PC to clean it and reformat it, but I
    have no way of knowing how to power it up once it is removed. I have
    available various USB cables and an external HD and and external CD
    burner. I have a portable floppy (USB) drive, but unfortunately, the
    Sony's BIOS does not accept the instruction to boot from it.

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: Need to rreformat hard drive.

    Previously pixsnap@juno.com wrote:
    > While reloading WinXP in Sony laptop, I succeeded in plugging up the
    > HD to the extent that all I get is an error message that leads to an
    > infinite number of reboots. I would like to pull the HD from the Sony
    > and figure out a way for my main PC to clean it and reformat it, but I
    > have no way of knowing how to power it up once it is removed.

    You mean the laptop or the hdd? For the HDD, you need a 2.5" to
    3.5" HDD adapter (it it is ATA), and just a normal SATA data and
    power cable for SATA.

    > I have
    > available various USB cables and an external HD and and external CD
    > burner. I have a portable floppy (USB) drive, but unfortunately, the
    > Sony's BIOS does not accept the instruction to boot from it.

    Why do you want to boot the laptop without disk anyways?

    Arno

  3. Re: Need to rreformat hard drive.

    pixsnap@juno.com wrote in news:d0cd27ce-a7b8-4ec3-b270-2764f2e95496@p69g2000hsa.googlegroups.com
    > While reloading WinXP in Sony laptop,

    > I succeeded in plugging up the HD

    Well, there's your problem. You shouldn't have done that.

    > to the extent that all I get is an error message that leads to an
    > infinite number of reboots. I would like to pull the HD from the Sony
    > and figure out a way for my main PC to clean it and reformat it, but I
    > have no way of knowing how to power it up once it is removed. I have
    > available various USB cables and an external HD and and external CD
    > burner. I have a portable floppy (USB) drive, but unfortunately, the
    > Sony's BIOS does not accept the instruction to boot from it.
    >
    > Any ideas?

  4. Re: Need to rreformat hard drive.

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:613hjfF1tath4U1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously pixsnap@juno.com wrote:
    > > While reloading WinXP in Sony laptop, I succeeded in plugging up the
    > > HD to the extent that all I get is an error message that leads to an
    > > infinite number of reboots. I would like to pull the HD from the Sony
    > > and figure out a way for my main PC to clean it and reformat it, but I
    > > have no way of knowing how to power it up once it is removed.

    > You mean the laptop or the hdd? For the HDD, you need a 2.5" to
    > 3.5" HDD adapter (it it is ATA), and just a normal SATA data and
    > power cable for SATA.

    Ooh, that made a lot of sense.

    > > I have
    > > available various USB cables and an external HD and and external CD
    > > burner. I have a portable floppy (USB) drive, but unfortunately, the
    > > Sony's BIOS does not accept the instruction to boot from it.

    > Why do you want to boot the laptop without disk anyways?

    That too.

    > Arno

+ Reply to Thread