I have a not so new Windows 2000 server that acts as a file server - 2.8Ghz,
2GB Ram. It has a GB network connection and PCI Bus and uses SATA drives.
It has USB 2.0 and Firewire.

I need to add about 1000GB of storage space for files but would like
something as fast as possible on this box and would like something I can
transfer to a new box once I have a few bucks to upgrade the server. I was
thinking of the USB 2.0 (@480mbp) or the 1394 port (@400 or 800) or getting
an eSATA PCI card but don't know what "really" works the fastest, not just
has the highest numbers.

Would also appriciate any input if someone else is using an external RAID or
disk unit.