external drive w bultin SFTP - Storage

This is a discussion on external drive w bultin SFTP - Storage ; I'm looking for a way to get physical diversity for backup storage. There are friends and family who would gladly allow me to put a box in their house, but I don't want to mess with their computers and all ...

  1. external drive w bultin SFTP

    I'm looking for a way to get physical diversity for backup storage. There
    are friends and family who would gladly allow me to put a box in their
    house, but I don't want to mess with their computers and all the ongoing
    headaches of that. So my notion is to have an external hardrive with an
    ethernet interface and a built-in secure FTP server. In this way, I could
    hang the box onto their LAN, but not have to fiddle with their computer.
    And, it needs to be relatively inexpensive.

    There are a couple of such inexpensive devices, such as from TrendNet, but
    the ones I've found have an FTP server, but don't support secure FTP (e.g.,
    SFTP).

    Can anyone point me to any such products?

    Many thanks ...

  2. Re: external drive w bultin SFTP

    Why you need SFTP in the network which is physically under your control?

    --
    Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
    StorageCraft Corporation

    "Newser" wrote in message
    > I'm looking for a way to get physical diversity for backup storage. There
    > are friends and family who would gladly allow me to put a box in their
    > house, but I don't want to mess with their computers and all the ongoing
    > headaches of that. So my notion is to have an external hardrive with an
    > ethernet interface and a built-in secure FTP server. In this way, I could
    > hang the box onto their LAN, but not have to fiddle with their computer.
    > And, it needs to be relatively inexpensive.
    >
    > There are a couple of such inexpensive devices, such as from TrendNet, but
    > the ones I've found have an FTP server, but don't support secure FTP (e.g.,
    > SFTP).
    >
    > Can anyone point me to any such products?
    >
    > Many thanks ...

  3. Re: external drive w bultin SFTP

    Because:
    1. The server would be on other people's premises, and the data is private
    and I don't want unauthorized people viewing data on it or adding their own
    data.
    2. I can't trust how well they maintain a firewall.
    3. I'd be communicating with it over the internet to reach the LAN on
    which it would reside.

    Can anyone provide useful information about the original question below?

    Thanks.

    "Maxim S. Shatskih" wrote in message
    > Why you need SFTP in the network which is physically under your
    > control?
    >
    > --
    > Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
    > StorageCraft Corporation
    > maxim@storagecraft.com
    > http://www.storagecraft.com
    >
    > "Newser" wrote in message
    >> I'm looking for a way to get physical diversity for backup storage.
    >> There
    >> are friends and family who would gladly allow me to put a box in their
    >> house, but I don't want to mess with their computers and all the ongoing
    >> headaches of that. So my notion is to have an external hardrive with an
    >> ethernet interface and a built-in secure FTP server. In this way, I
    >> could
    >> hang the box onto their LAN, but not have to fiddle with their computer.
    >> And, it needs to be relatively inexpensive.
    >>
    >> There are a couple of such inexpensive devices, such as from TrendNet,
    >> but
    >> the ones I've found have an FTP server, but don't support secure FTP
    >> (e.g.,
    >> SFTP).
    >>
    >> Can anyone point me to any such products?
    >>
    >> Many thanks ...

+ Reply to Thread