Preserve data integrity?? - Storage

This is a discussion on Preserve data integrity?? - Storage ; Hi All, What can you possibly do, with 1 hdd, in any Windows flavour, to preserve integrity of your data? Is there any way, that if a part of your hdd gets corrupted, the system is able to reconstruct the ...

  1. Preserve data integrity??

    Hi All,

    What can you possibly do, with 1 hdd, in any Windows flavour, to
    preserve integrity of your data?

    Is there any way, that if a part of your hdd gets corrupted, the
    system is able to reconstruct the data in that corrupted part?

    My system has RAID 1, and now and then I have a annoying problem that
    this or that app won't boot up properly. I do nothing about it, and
    the next day, it works just fine... Why??

    The way I understand it, RAID 5 would be able to solve my initial
    problem, correct?

    Other than that, what my best with only 1 hdd - in case I decide to
    get a notebook?

    And for the time being, while I'm still stuck with my desktop, what
    else can I do besides using RAID 1, as I already do?

    TIA,
    Jose

  2. Re: Preserve data integrity??

    Jose wrote in news:47aa0921.32487531@news20.forteinc.com
    > Hi All,
    >
    > What can you possibly do, with 1 hdd, in any Windows flavour, to
    > preserve integrity of your data?

    Keep your system in perfect running order.

    > Is there any way, that if a part of your hdd gets corrupted, the
    > system is able to reconstruct the data in that corrupted part?
    >
    > My system has RAID 1, and now and then I have a annoying problem that
    > this or that app won't boot up properly. I do nothing about it, and
    > the next day, it works just fine... Why??

    > The way I understand it, RAID 5 would be able to solve my initial
    > problem, correct?

    Nope.

    > Other than that, what my best with only 1 hdd - in case I decide to
    > get a notebook?
    >
    > And for the time being, while I'm still stuck with my desktop, what
    > else can I do besides using RAID 1, as I already do?

    What exactly makes you think your drive(s) have anything to do with it.
    Drives do not corrupt data.

    > TIA,
    > Jose

  3. Re: Preserve data integrity??

    Previously Jose wrote:
    > Hi All,

    > What can you possibly do, with 1 hdd, in any Windows flavour, to
    > preserve integrity of your data?

    > Is there any way, that if a part of your hdd gets corrupted, the
    > system is able to reconstruct the data in that corrupted part?

    > My system has RAID 1, and now and then I have a annoying problem that
    > this or that app won't boot up properly. I do nothing about it, and
    > the next day, it works just fine... Why??

    > The way I understand it, RAID 5 would be able to solve my initial
    > problem, correct?

    Raid 5 with two disks is the same (practially) as RAID1.
    Best bet is probably to get a good quality RAID1 controller
    or to do software RAID (my preference). If you have an
    on-board RAID controller, these are often pretty bad.

    > Other than that, what my best with only 1 hdd - in case I decide to
    > get a notebook?

    Well, in theroy you can do software RAID1 with partitions.
    If the disk dies, this will not hekp, though.

    > And for the time being, while I'm still stuck with my desktop, what
    > else can I do besides using RAID 1, as I already do?

    Not much. Regular backups come to mind.

    Arno

  4. Re: Preserve data integrity??

    On 6 Feb 2008 23:30:03 GMT, Arno Wagner wrote:

    >Raid 5 with two disks is the same (practially) as RAID1.

    I understand that RAID 5 requires at least 3 hdd, and if that would be
    the answer to my problems, I'd be willing to get 3 hdd, and a RAID 5
    controler.

    So, this time assuming I'd be using 3 hdd, would RAID 5 be of help? If
    still not, any other RAID solution?

    >Best bet is probably to get a good quality RAID1 controller
    >or to do software RAID (my preference). If you have an
    >on-board RAID controller, these are often pretty bad.

    I'm using an Asus onboard controler for RAID 1. At this stage, I'm
    more into planning my next machine, rather considering upgrading this
    one.

    >Well, in theroy you can do software RAID1 with partitions.

    I suppose that would only cover for physical damage in parttion 1,
    correct?

    I guess I'd prefer regular backups, and a mirror to an external drive
    once a week, or something like that.

    Thanks,
    Jose

+ Reply to Thread