Duplicate files and disk space management? - Storage

This is a discussion on Duplicate files and disk space management? - Storage ; Can anyone recommend a good file management tool that can find duplicate files, show graphical and numerical display of file distributions on a volume and produce reports for these? So far the only tools I have found that can do ...

  1. Duplicate files and disk space management?

    Can anyone recommend a good file management tool that can find duplicate
    files, show graphical and numerical display of file distributions on a
    volume and produce reports for these?

    So far the only tools I have found that can do this are:

    SpaceObServer - http://www.jam-software.com/spaceobserver/index.shtml
    TreeSize - http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/index.shtml

    and while these are relatively good tools I am curious to know what other
    options there are in this area. Surely this cannot be the only software that
    does this type in the industry.

    We have a couple of multi-terrabyte storage areas and we need some way to
    get an idea of how the data is distribute among these volumes (file types,
    size, date, etc). Appreciate any advice.

  2. Re: Duplicate files and disk space management?

    amazing.. i'm running one right now... called CT.EXE, and it can parse
    entire directory trees... meant for ensuring a CD burn went ok..

    it's command line, and always will be, tho.. it can work if the dirs and
    files have the same names... now... if you're looking for same files and
    different names....... well... I'd like to know also!!!

    j.

    barkley bees wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a good file management tool that can find duplicate
    > files, show graphical and numerical display of file distributions on a
    > volume and produce reports for these?
    >
    > So far the only tools I have found that can do this are:
    >
    > SpaceObServer - http://www.jam-software.com/spaceobserver/index.shtml
    > TreeSize - http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/index.shtml
    >
    > and while these are relatively good tools I am curious to know what other
    > options there are in this area. Surely this cannot be the only software that
    > does this type in the industry.
    >
    > We have a couple of multi-terrabyte storage areas and we need some way to
    > get an idea of how the data is distribute among these volumes (file types,
    > size, date, etc). Appreciate any advice.

  3. Re: Duplicate files and disk space management?

    One clarification... it works better under XP as a client, instead of on
    the server... no, it won't do anything, but something about memory, or
    somesuch. never really looked into it that much..

    Brains,None wrote:
    > amazing.. i'm running one right now... called CT.EXE, and it can parse
    > entire directory trees... meant for ensuring a CD burn went ok..
    >
    > it's command line, and always will be, tho.. it can work if the dirs and
    > files have the same names... now... if you're looking for same files and
    > different names....... well... I'd like to know also!!!
    >
    > j.
    >
    > barkley bees wrote:
    >> Can anyone recommend a good file management tool that can find
    >> duplicate files, show graphical and numerical display of file
    >> distributions on a volume and produce reports for these?
    >>
    >> So far the only tools I have found that can do this are:
    >>
    >> SpaceObServer - http://www.jam-software.com/spaceobserver/index.shtml
    >> TreeSize - http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/index.shtml
    >>
    >> and while these are relatively good tools I am curious to know what
    >> other options there are in this area. Surely this cannot be the only
    >> software that does this type in the industry.
    >>
    >> We have a couple of multi-terrabyte storage areas and we need some way
    >> to get an idea of how the data is distribute among these volumes (file
    >> types, size, date, etc). Appreciate any advice.

  4. Re: Duplicate files and disk space management?

    The absolute best tool I have found for disk space usage is windirstat
    - http://windirstat.info - free download.

    There are also some new tools in Windows 2003 Server RC 2 that can
    help with file management, including locating duplicate files. Check
    out the File Server Resource Manager

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...e/default.mspx

    Regards
    Jon

    > > barkley bees wrote:
    > >> Can anyone recommend a good file management tool that can find
    > >> duplicate files, show graphical and numerical display of file
    > >> distributions on a volume and produce reports for these?

    > >> So far the only tools I have found that can do this are:

    > >> SpaceObServer -http://www.jam-software.com/spaceobserver/index.shtml
    > >> TreeSize -http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/index.shtml

    > >> and while these are relatively good tools I am curious to know what
    > >> other options there are in this area. Surely this cannot be the only
    > >> software that does this type in the industry.

    > >> We have a couple of multi-terrabyte storage areas and we need some way
    > >> to get an idea of how the data is distribute among these volumes (file
    > >> types, size, date, etc). Appreciate any advice.

  5. RE: Duplicate files and disk space management?

    Try Duplicate Finder this very good tool to find and eliminate true duplicate
    files.

    Duplicate Finder search duplicates using byte by byte or crc32 to give you
    most accurate and faster results.

    I really like Duplicate Finder. An especially nice touch was when it told me
    that I was deleting all copies of a file. I tried a few other duplicate file
    finders and hated them.

    Good interface with lots of features.

    Try it free: http://www.ashisoft.com

    "barkley bees" wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a good file management tool that can find duplicate
    > files, show graphical and numerical display of file distributions on a
    > volume and produce reports for these?
    >
    > So far the only tools I have found that can do this are:
    >
    > SpaceObServer - http://www.jam-software.com/spaceobserver/index.shtml
    > TreeSize - http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/index.shtml
    >
    > and while these are relatively good tools I am curious to know what other
    > options there are in this area. Surely this cannot be the only software that
    > does this type in the industry.
    >
    > We have a couple of multi-terrabyte storage areas and we need some way to
    > get an idea of how the data is distribute among these volumes (file types,
    > size, date, etc). Appreciate any advice.

+ Reply to Thread