Why are DDR2 SO-DIMMs so much cheaper than DDR SD-RAMs ? - Storage

This is a discussion on Why are DDR2 SO-DIMMs so much cheaper than DDR SD-RAMs ? - Storage ; I bought recently 2x1024 DDR2 SO-DIMMs RAM modules for my notebook over eBay. They cost me around 15 Euros like in other auctions. When I compare this price to "normal" 2x1024 DDR RAM module these traditional desktop memory is at ...

  1. Why are DDR2 SO-DIMMs so much cheaper than DDR SD-RAMs ?

    I bought recently 2x1024 DDR2 SO-DIMMs RAM modules for my notebook over eBay.

    They cost me around 15 Euros like in other auctions.

    When I compare this price to "normal" 2x1024 DDR RAM module
    these traditional desktop memory is at least 5 (!) times more
    expensive on average.

    Why ?

    Are there any adapters which let me use DDR2 SO-DIMMs in DDR SD-RAM memory slots ?

    Joe

  2. Re: Why are DDR2 SO-DIMMs so much cheaper than DDR SD-RAMs ?

    Joe, Legacy Ram is usually always more expensive. I imagine because of
    availability. No, there are no such adaptors.
    "Joe deAngelo" wrote in message
    >I bought recently 2x1024 DDR2 SO-DIMMs RAM modules for my notebook over
    >eBay.
    >
    > They cost me around 15 Euros like in other auctions.
    >
    > When I compare this price to "normal" 2x1024 DDR RAM module
    > these traditional desktop memory is at least 5 (!) times more
    > expensive on average.
    >
    > Why ?
    >
    > Are there any adapters which let me use DDR2 SO-DIMMs in DDR SD-RAM memory
    > slots ?
    >
    > Joe

  3. Re: Why are DDR2 SO-DIMMs so much cheaper than DDR SD-RAMs ?

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Joe deAngelo wrote:
    > I bought recently 2x1024 DDR2 SO-DIMMs RAM modules for my notebook over eBay.

    > They cost me around 15 Euros like in other auctions.

    > When I compare this price to "normal" 2x1024 DDR RAM module
    > these traditional desktop memory is at least 5 (!) times more
    > expensive on average.

    > Why ?

    Seems that the seller really wanted to get rid of these. Better run
    extensive memory tests before truting them. They may have some
    defect, like a weak bit.

    > Are there any adapters which let me use DDR2 SO-DIMMs in DDR SD-RAM
    > memory slots ?

    No.

    Arno

  4. Re: Why are DDR2 SO-DIMMs so much cheaper than DDR SD-RAMs ?

    "Joe deAngelo" wrote in message
    >I bought recently 2x1024 DDR2 SO-DIMMs RAM modules for my notebook over
    >eBay.
    >
    > They cost me around 15 Euros like in other auctions.
    >
    > When I compare this price to "normal" 2x1024 DDR RAM module
    > these traditional desktop memory is at least 5 (!) times more
    > expensive on average.
    >
    > Why ?
    >
    > Are there any adapters which let me use DDR2 SO-DIMMs in DDR SD-RAM memory
    > slots ?
    >
    > Joe

    It's a matter of what's popular at the moment. No major manufacturer is
    currently selling system that use DDR memory, they are all DDR2. Try
    pricing PC100 or PC133 ram for older systems, it's higher yet.
    DDR memory has 184 pins, DDR2 has 240, there are no adapters.

  5. Re: Why are DDR2 SO-DIMMs so much cheaper than DDR SD-RAMs ?

    On 05 Feb 2008 19:03:45 GMT, joeking@hotmail.com (Joe deAngelo) wrote:

    >I bought recently 2x1024 DDR2 SO-DIMMs RAM modules for my notebook over eBay.
    >
    >They cost me around 15 Euros like in other auctions.
    >
    >When I compare this price to "normal" 2x1024 DDR RAM module
    >these traditional desktop memory is at least 5 (!) times more
    >expensive on average.
    >
    >Why ?
    >
    >Are there any adapters which let me use DDR2 SO-DIMMs in DDR SD-RAM memory slots ?
    >
    >Joe

    Better to ask why you post inane questions like this, that have
    absolutely nothing to do with the OS, in this group.

    Ask elsewhere

  6. Re: Why are DDR2 SO-DIMMs so much cheaper than DDR SD-RAMs ?

    "Joe deAngelo" wrote in message
    >I bought recently 2x1024 DDR2 SO-DIMMs RAM modules for my notebook over
    >eBay.
    >
    > They cost me around 15 Euros like in other auctions.
    >
    > When I compare this price to "normal" 2x1024 DDR RAM module
    > these traditional desktop memory is at least 5 (!) times more
    > expensive on average.
    >
    > Why ?
    >
    > Are there any adapters which let me use DDR2 SO-DIMMs in DDR SD-RAM memory
    > slots ?
    >
    > Joe

    Altho' the DDR is essentially a lower-performing or slower ram, fewer
    mfg'r are now producing it. Probably, most of what is for sale is remaining
    stock from when it was the current ram used in production of current
    computers. This means much smaller supply; and here comes economics: supply
    and demand, which steeply increases its price. On the contrary, since DDR2
    is the ram of choice for today's new computers, everybody wants to get on
    the bandwagon for a piece of the action, & mfg'rs are over-producing and
    flooding the market with huge supplies and hence lower prices.
    Like you, I am still using DDR and would love to be able to adapt the
    cheaper DDR2 to my use. Sadly, I know of no such adapter, and likely there
    may never be. Guess we will just have to modernize our systems if we want
    cheap ram! I just had to pay ~$90 for 2@512 sticks of Cas2 Corsair
    XMS(extreme memory speed)--one a 3200 (400 mhz) and other a 3500. To use in
    overclocking, I thought this might be good; however, neither is happy above
    400, tho' it does the 400 with a smile. It runs Cas 2, tho'--2,2,2,5.
    Wanna buy it? My old Kingston HyperX, both 3500, will run 410, 420, and
    never complain; but isn't as happy at the faster Cas2 timings. Luck to you,
    & hope this helps. s

  7. Re: Why are DDR2 SO-DIMMs so much cheaper than DDR SD-RAMs ?

    "Joe deAngelo" wrote in message
    >I bought recently 2x1024 DDR2 SO-DIMMs RAM modules for my notebook over
    >eBay.
    >
    > They cost me around 15 Euros like in other auctions.
    >
    > When I compare this price to "normal" 2x1024 DDR RAM module
    > these traditional desktop memory is at least 5 (!) times more
    > expensive on average.
    >
    > Why ?
    >
    > Are there any adapters which let me use DDR2 SO-DIMMs in DDR SD-RAM memory
    > slots ?
    >
    > Joe

    Altho' the DDR is essentially a lower-performing or slower ram, fewer
    mfg'r are now producing it. Probably, most of what is for sale is remaining
    stock from when it was the current ram used in production of current
    computers. This means much smaller supply; and here comes economics: supply
    and demand, which steeply increases its price. On the contrary, since DDR2
    is the ram of choice for today's new computers, everybody wants to get on
    the bandwagon for a piece of the action, & mfg'rs are over-producing and
    flooding the market with huge supplies and hence lower prices.
    Like you, I am still using DDR and would love to be able to adapt the
    cheaper DDR2 to my use. Sadly, I know of no such adapter, and likely there
    may never be. Guess we will just have to modernize our systems if we want
    cheap ram! I just had to pay ~$90 for 2@512 sticks of Cas2 Corsair
    XMS(extreme memory speed)--one a 3200 (400 mhz) and other a 3500. To use in
    overclocking, I thought this might be good; however, neither is happy above
    400, tho' it does the 400 with a smile. It runs Cas 2, tho'--2,2,2,5.
    Wanna buy it? My old Kingston HyperX, both 3500, will run 410, 420, and
    never complain; but isn't as happy at the faster Cas2 timings. Luck to you,
    & hope this helps. s

  8. Re: Why are DDR2 SO-DIMMs so much cheaper than DDR SD-RAMs ?

    Joe, Legacy Ram is usually always more expensive. I imagine because of
    availability. No, there are no such adaptors.

    "Joe deAngelo" wrote in message
    >I bought recently 2x1024 DDR2 SO-DIMMs RAM modules for my notebook over
    >eBay.
    >
    > They cost me around 15 Euros like in other auctions.
    >
    > When I compare this price to "normal" 2x1024 DDR RAM module
    > these traditional desktop memory is at least 5 (!) times more
    > expensive on average.
    >
    > Why ?
    >
    > Are there any adapters which let me use DDR2 SO-DIMMs in DDR SD-RAM memory
    > slots ?
    >
    > Joe

+ Reply to Thread