Exchange feature pack for storage server - Storage

This is a discussion on Exchange feature pack for storage server - Storage ; Hi All We're running exchange 2k3 SP2 in 2 of our offices. In both offices we've got a HP Nas2000 box. Both the NAS and the Exchange servers are on identical hard and software. We ran out of drive space ...

  1. Exchange feature pack for storage server

    Hi All

    We're running exchange 2k3 SP2 in 2 of our offices. In both offices we've
    got a HP Nas2000 box. Both the NAS and the Exchange servers are on
    identical hard and software.

    We ran out of drive space on the exchange server so looked into installing
    the exchange feature pack for windows storage server. After a fair bit of
    reading we installed in on one of the offices. It worked without a hitch
    (including backup) for months. We then decided to set the same thing up in
    the other office. Exact same setup but every day or so the connection to
    the DB on the NAS box would be lost and the store would have to be
    remounted. We only had a test mailbox on it so after trying everything we
    could we eventually scrapped the idea for that server.

    Now on the server that's been working all along we're starting to get the
    same behaviour. Twice in the last week the connection to the remote DB has
    been lost and it had to be remounted. Problem is we have over 60GB of live
    user mailboxes on it!

    The event viewer is giving us little or no useful info other than "the
    connection to the DB has been lost"

    Is anyone running a similar setup or has anyone done so and run into the
    same problems? I can find very little info on trouble shooting indeed very
    little info at all on the subject other than how to set it up!
    Appreciate any assistance anyone can provide!
    Rgds
    GerryR

  2. Re: Exchange feature pack for storage server

    Have you checked the Event Log on the NAS?

    Pat

    "gerryR" wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > We're running exchange 2k3 SP2 in 2 of our offices. In both offices we've
    > got a HP Nas2000 box. Both the NAS and the Exchange servers are on
    > identical hard and software.
    >
    > We ran out of drive space on the exchange server so looked into installing
    > the exchange feature pack for windows storage server. After a fair bit of
    > reading we installed in on one of the offices. It worked without a hitch
    > (including backup) for months. We then decided to set the same thing up
    > in
    > the other office. Exact same setup but every day or so the connection to
    > the DB on the NAS box would be lost and the store would have to be
    > remounted. We only had a test mailbox on it so after trying everything we
    > could we eventually scrapped the idea for that server.
    >
    > Now on the server that's been working all along we're starting to get the
    > same behaviour. Twice in the last week the connection to the remote DB
    > has
    > been lost and it had to be remounted. Problem is we have over 60GB of
    > live
    > user mailboxes on it!
    >
    > The event viewer is giving us little or no useful info other than "the
    > connection to the DB has been lost"
    >
    > Is anyone running a similar setup or has anyone done so and run into the
    > same problems? I can find very little info on trouble shooting indeed
    > very
    > little info at all on the subject other than how to set it up!
    > Appreciate any assistance anyone can provide!
    > Rgds
    > GerryR

  3. Re: Exchange feature pack for storage server

    zero messages in the NAS box, I know that most likely means its the Exchange
    servers problem but I'm finding it very hard to get any info from people who
    have a similar setup so thought I'd try the storage group.

    Thansk
    Gerry

    "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    > Have you checked the Event Log on the NAS?
    >

    > Pat
    >

    > "gerryR" wrote in message
    >> Hi All
    >>
    >> We're running exchange 2k3 SP2 in 2 of our offices. In both offices
    >> we've
    >> got a HP Nas2000 box. Both the NAS and the Exchange servers are on
    >> identical hard and software.
    >>
    >> We ran out of drive space on the exchange server so looked into
    >> installing
    >> the exchange feature pack for windows storage server. After a fair bit
    >> of
    >> reading we installed in on one of the offices. It worked without a hitch
    >> (including backup) for months. We then decided to set the same thing up
    >> in
    >> the other office. Exact same setup but every day or so the connection to
    >> the DB on the NAS box would be lost and the store would have to be
    >> remounted. We only had a test mailbox on it so after trying everything
    >> we
    >> could we eventually scrapped the idea for that server.
    >>
    >> Now on the server that's been working all along we're starting to get the
    >> same behaviour. Twice in the last week the connection to the remote DB
    >> has
    >> been lost and it had to be remounted. Problem is we have over 60GB of
    >> live
    >> user mailboxes on it!
    >>
    >> The event viewer is giving us little or no useful info other than "the
    >> connection to the DB has been lost"
    >>
    >> Is anyone running a similar setup or has anyone done so and run into the
    >> same problems? I can find very little info on trouble shooting indeed
    >> very
    >> little info at all on the subject other than how to set it up!
    >> Appreciate any assistance anyone can provide!
    >> Rgds
    >> GerryR

  4. Re: Exchange feature pack for storage server

    The Exch feature pack came out at about the same time as iSCSI's popularity
    began to increase. They cover very similar scenarios so a lot of folks went
    that direction (incl. MS for later releases of Storage Server).

    A few ideas to try/check:

    1) If there is a switch or router between the Exch. server(s) & NAS box(es)
    they can sometimes terminate the link causing this problem.

    2) Use perfmon to check for dropped packets, bad links, etc.

    3) If you want to try an iSCSI solution, you can get the iSCSI initiator for
    free from MS & an iSCSI target for the NAS box from a number of vendors.

    Pat

+ Reply to Thread