Large volume problem under Windows. - Storage

This is a discussion on Large volume problem under Windows. - Storage ; Hi, I have to setup a IBM file server under Windows. It has 6 x 500 GB HD connected to an Adaptec ServeRaid 8k. This server will be used as a temporary storage for "Drive Snapshot" backups (disk images) of ...

  1. Large volume problem under Windows.

    Hi,

    I have to setup a IBM file server under Windows. It has 6 x 500 GB HD
    connected to an Adaptec ServeRaid 8k.

    This server will be used as a temporary storage for "Drive Snapshot"
    backups (disk images) of other servers. It will contain a small 8 GB
    partition for the OS and the rest for about a hundred large files
    (several GB). Speed is important so I'd like to use RAID0.

    My first attempt failed because I created a RAID0 2.7 TB volume and it
    seems that Windows 2003 Server Enterprise SP2 32 bits cannot create more
    than 2 TB of partitions (and I didn't want to waste more than 700 GB of
    space).

    Do I have to create 2 RAID volumes with 3 disks each (performance
    probably will be lower) ?

    What would be the best stripe size for very large files ? and allocation
    unit size for NTFS ?

    TIA.

    --
    http://ardennes.free.fr

  2. Re: Large volume problem under Windows.

    Previously Paul Atreides wrote:
    > Hi,

    > I have to setup a IBM file server under Windows. It has 6 x 500 GB HD
    > connected to an Adaptec ServeRaid 8k.

    > This server will be used as a temporary storage for "Drive Snapshot"
    > backups (disk images) of other servers. It will contain a small 8 GB
    > partition for the OS and the rest for about a hundred large files
    > (several GB). Speed is important so I'd like to use RAID0.

    > My first attempt failed because I created a RAID0 2.7 TB volume and it
    > seems that Windows 2003 Server Enterprise SP2 32 bits cannot create more
    > than 2 TB of partitions (and I didn't want to waste more than 700 GB of
    > space).

    > Do I have to create 2 RAID volumes with 3 disks each (performance
    > probably will be lower) ?

    > What would be the best stripe size for very large files ? and allocation
    > unit size for NTFS ?

    > TIA.

    For the size problem, you can just partition the whole array into
    smaller partitions. To the computer it looks like one large drive.
    No need to do several separate RAID arrays. (BTW: There are no RAID
    "volumes". That term refers to partitions or filesystems. For RAID the
    term is "array". An array can contain several partitions or "volumes".)

    As to using a 6x RAID0, you are aware that its reliability is
    approximately 1/6 (about 16%) of each single drive? And that
    all data will be gone if one drive fails?

    Arno

  3. Re: Large volume problem under Windows.

    In article <60q4i4F1nofloU1@mid.individual.net>, me@privacy.net says...

    > For the size problem, you can just partition the whole array into
    > smaller partitions. To the computer it looks like one large drive.
    > No need to do several separate RAID arrays. (BTW: There are no RAID
    > "volumes". That term refers to partitions or filesystems. For RAID the
    > term is "array". An array can contain several partitions or "volumes".)
    >
    > As to using a 6x RAID0, you are aware that its reliability is
    > approximately 1/6 (about 16%) of each single drive? And that
    > all data will be gone if one drive fails?
    >
    > Arno

    Thank you for your answer.

    As described in this article http://www.carltonbale.com/2007/05/how-to-
    break-the-2tb-2-terabyte-file-system-limit/
    I'll try option 3. And yes, I know that I could lose everything quickly
    but this server receives other servers drive images during the night and
    all those files are saved to tape in the morning.

    Greetings.

    --
    http://ardennes.free.fr

+ Reply to Thread