Acronis Version 8/11 Rescue Cd fails to fully load - Storage

This is a discussion on Acronis Version 8/11 Rescue Cd fails to fully load - Storage ; I borrowed a friend's version11 Acronis home Rescue CD and like my version 8, it wont load. I tried using the F11 commands like acpi=off noapic. I was able to see the logs before i got the black screen of ...

  1. Acronis Version 8/11 Rescue Cd fails to fully load

    I borrowed a friend's version11 Acronis home Rescue CD and like my
    version 8, it
    wont load. I tried using the F11 commands like acpi=off noapic. I was
    able to see the logs before i got the black screen of death. Lots of
    lost interrupt erros and dma time outs. Failed to discover some devices
    but all HDD were identified.

    I am using an Asus ACPI board with a 2.8 GHZ. Rescue CD worked on my
    Dell notebook.

    Any suggestions?

  2. Re: Acronis Version 8/11 Rescue Cd fails to fully load

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Sam wrote:
    > I borrowed a friend's version11 Acronis home Rescue CD and like my
    > version 8, it
    > wont load. I tried using the F11 commands like acpi=off noapic.

    I deduce that this is a Linux-based system. Correct?

    > I was
    > able to see the logs before i got the black screen of death. Lots of
    > lost interrupt erros and dma time outs. Failed to discover some devices
    > but all HDD were identified.

    Hmm.

    > I am using an Asus ACPI board with a 2.8 GHZ. Rescue CD worked on my
    > Dell notebook.

    > Any suggestions?

    For comparison, you could get a current Knoppix CD and try whether
    it boots. If it does not, there is likely something seriously
    wrong with your hardware.

    Arno

  3. Re: Acronis Version 8/11 Rescue Cd fails to fully load

    Sam wrote:
    > I borrowed a friend's version11 Acronis home Rescue CD and like my
    > version 8, it
    > wont load. I tried using the F11 commands like acpi=off noapic. I
    > was able to see the logs before i got the black screen of death.
    > Lots of lost interrupt erros and dma time outs. Failed to discover
    > some devices but all HDD were identified.
    >
    > I am using an Asus ACPI board with a 2.8 GHZ. Rescue CD worked on my
    > Dell notebook.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Try a later build of TI.

  4. Re: Acronis Version 8/11 Rescue Cd fails to fully load

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message

    >>> Try a later build of TI.

    I tried using the TI version 11.

    I figured out the problem though. Have no freaken idea why and I don't
    like the solution either.

    I disconnected all my USB hubs and peripherals including keyboard. My
    mouse is still PS2. I tried again. And presto, it worked. I have no
    flipping idea why. I repeated this several times with and without USB
    and sure enough, with USB connections Acronis won't work.

    BTW, I managed to borrow a version 11 Rescue CD and the same results
    were experienced.

    Also, I had tonnes of hda interrupts errors and dma time outs while in
    "diagnostic mode" when Acronis failed to load.

    Do you think I am suppose to do something to my motherboard to fix
    this problem? Perhaps there's a command that I'm not familiar with?
    I would hate to think in my next system where I would have USB
    everything I wouldnt be able to use Acronis at all.

  5. Re: Acronis Version 8/11 Rescue Cd fails to fully load

    Sam wrote:
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Sam wrote

    >>> I borrowed a friend's version11 Acronis home Rescue CD and like
    >>> my version 8, it wont load. I tried using the F11 commands like
    >>> acpi=off noapic. I was able to see the logs before i got the black
    >>> screen of death. Lots of lost interrupt erros and dma time outs.
    >>> Failed to discover some devices but all HDD were identified.

    >>> I am using an Asus ACPI board with a 2.8 GHZ.
    >>> Rescue CD worked on my Dell notebook.

    >>> Any suggestions?

    >> Try a later build of TI.

    > I tried using the TI version 11.

    I meant a later build of 11.

    > I figured out the problem though. Have no freaken
    > idea why and I don't like the solution either.

    A later build of 11 may well fix the problem.

    > I disconnected all my USB hubs and peripherals including keyboard.
    > My mouse is still PS2. I tried again. And presto, it worked. I have no
    > flipping idea why. I repeated this several times with and without USB
    > and sure enough, with USB connections Acronis won't work.

    The rescue CD runs on Linux, and for some reason it isnt handling the USB devices properly.

    > BTW, I managed to borrow a version 11 Rescue CD
    > and the same results were experienced.

    Like Arno said, you should try some of the linux live CDs like Knoppix and Ubuntu.

    Likely there is something about the USB on that system they wont like either.

    > Also, I had tonnes of hda interrupts errors and dma time
    > outs while in "diagnostic mode" when Acronis failed to load.

    > Do you think I am suppose to do something to my motherboard to fix this problem?

    Its possible, depending on whether the Linux live CDs load successfully or not.

    > Perhaps there's a command that I'm not familiar with?

    Yes, since its running on Linux, thats certainly possible.

    > I would hate to think in my next system where I would have
    > USB everything I wouldnt be able to use Acronis at all.

    That isnt the case, it runs fine on my systems that have everything on USB and you wont find
    everyone in the support forums howling about not being able to use it on systems with just USB.
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65

  6. Re: Acronis Version 8/11 Rescue Cd fails to fully load

    Rod Speed wrote:
    >>> I would hate to think in my next system where I would have
    >>> USB everything I wouldnt be able to use Acronis at all.

    >> That isnt the case, it runs fine on my systems that have everything
    >> on USB and you wont find everyone in the support forums howling
    >> about not being able to use it on systems with just USB.
    >> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65

    I disconnected the USB hub (it's from my monitor) and removed everything
    else from my tower and just plugged in my USB keyboard and PS2 mouse.
    TI Rescue does boot and loads the Rescue CD.

    I guess it's possible my Asus chipset is just flaky with Acronis.

    BTW, I don't see Arno's post. :-/

  7. Re: Acronis Version 8/11 Rescue Cd fails to fully load

    Sam wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote

    >>> That isnt the case, it runs fine on my systems that have everything
    >>> on USB and you wont find everyone in the support forums howling
    >>> about not being able to use it on systems with just USB.
    >>> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65

    > I disconnected the USB hub (it's from my monitor) and removed
    > everything else from my tower and just plugged in my USB keyboard
    > and PS2 mouse. TI Rescue does boot and loads the Rescue CD.

    > I guess it's possible my Asus chipset is just flaky with Acronis.

    Nope, I use Asus motherboards myself and they work fine with TI.

    > BTW, I don't see Arno's post. :-/

    He just suggested you try the Knoppix live CD and see if your system will boot that successfully.

  8. Re: Acronis Version 8/11 Rescue Cd fails to fully load

    Hi,

    Have you tried to install the safemedia plugin before burning the boot CD ?
    If yes, please boot using this mode.

    Best regards

    Sid
    "Sam" a écrit dans le message de
    >I borrowed a friend's version11 Acronis home Rescue CD and like my
    > version 8, it
    > wont load. I tried using the F11 commands like acpi=off noapic. I was
    > able to see the logs before i got the black screen of death. Lots of
    > lost interrupt erros and dma time outs. Failed to discover some devices
    > but all HDD were identified.
    >
    > I am using an Asus ACPI board with a 2.8 GHZ. Rescue CD worked on my
    > Dell notebook.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

  9. Re: Acronis Version 8/11 Rescue Cd fails to fully load

    Sam wrote in news:Lzxoj.30653$4w.20214@pd7urf2no

    > > > That isnt the case, it runs fine on my systems that have everything
    > > > on USB and you wont find everyone in the support forums howling
    > > > about not being able to use it on systems with just USB.
    > > > http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65

    > I disconnected the USB hub (it's from my monitor) and removed everything
    > else from my tower and just plugged in my USB keyboard and PS2 mouse.
    > TI Rescue does boot and loads the Rescue CD.
    >
    > I guess it's possible my Asus chipset is just flaky with Acronis.

    > BTW, I don't see Arno's post. :-/

    Some news servers now filter sporgers.

  10. Re: Acronis Version 8/11 Rescue Cd fails to fully load

    On Jan 31, 11:51 pm, "Sam" wrote:
    > I disconnected the USB hub (it's from my monitor) and removed everything
    > else from my tower and just plugged in my USB keyboard and PS2 mouse.
    > TI Rescue does boot and loads the Rescue CD.

    From your earlier description, I immediately suspected the USB hub.
    IOW, the devices
    themselves might be working properly but if the chipset in the hub is
    "wonky" then it
    might be the cause of your problem.
    Simple test: plug the hub into a different computer, perhaps even one
    running M$
    and note the behaviour you observe.

    Sudsy

  11. Re: Acronis Version 8/11 Rescue Cd fails to fully load

    In message , Sam writes

    >>> That isnt the case, it runs fine on my systems that have everything
    >>> on USB and you wont find everyone in the support forums howling
    >>> about not being able to use it on systems with just USB.
    >>> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65

    >I disconnected the USB hub (it's from my monitor) and removed everything
    >else from my tower and just plugged in my USB keyboard and PS2 mouse.
    >TI Rescue does boot and loads the Rescue CD.
    >
    >I guess it's possible my Asus chipset is just flaky with Acronis.
    >
    >BTW, I don't see Arno's post. :-/

    I had a similar problem which came down to 2 different USB hubs causing
    my system to hang on boot. Its all OK when I don't use either of the
    hubs. I manage without them. Also using TI v11.
    --
    bertieboy
    One hydrogen atom to another: I've lost an electron. Are you sure? Yes, I'm

  12. Re: Acronis Version 8/11 Rescue Cd fails to fully load

    On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 04:51:55 GMT, "Sam" wrote:

    >>> That isnt the case, it runs fine on my systems that have everything
    >>> on USB and you wont find everyone in the support forums howling
    >>> about not being able to use it on systems with just USB.
    >>> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65

    >I disconnected the USB hub (it's from my monitor) and removed everything
    >else from my tower and just plugged in my USB keyboard and PS2 mouse.
    >TI Rescue does boot and loads the Rescue CD.
    >
    >I guess it's possible my Asus chipset is just flaky with Acronis.
    >
    >BTW, I don't see Arno's post. :-/

    Instead of yanking out all the USB, couldn't you just run Acronis TI
    in "safe mode"? I use v10, and it has that feature. It's saved my
    bacon more than once.
    -

    Bob

+ Reply to Thread