iSCSI failed disk - Storage

This is a discussion on iSCSI failed disk - Storage ; I've been connecting a few MS iSCSI s/w initiator based hosts to our iSCSI SAN without problem. Re-connects survive reboots and everything works ok. I have one host though that has a s/w initiator connection to a 100Gb SAN volume. ...

  1. iSCSI failed disk

    I've been connecting a few MS iSCSI s/w initiator based hosts to our iSCSI
    SAN without problem. Re-connects survive reboots and everything works ok.

    I have one host though that has a s/w initiator connection to a 100Gb SAN
    volume. It runs the SAN connection over a dedicated NIC, and mounts the
    volume fine. While the volume is mounted, all i/o works without fault.
    Trouble is, when the server is rebooted, the SAN volume doesn't re-mount,
    and always shows as 'failed'. If I re-activate the volume, it re-mounts and
    all the data is intact. The volume then performs as usual. The MPIO module
    is loaded, and I've tried v2.05 and v2.06 of the initiator. The host is
    Windows 2000 SP4.

    I've tried setting a persistant mount point, and even set the SERVER service
    to be dependant on the MSiSCSI service, just incase something wasn't
    starting in time, but it hasn't made any difference.

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: iSCSI failed disk

    Per the iSCSI initator release notes:

    Dynamic disks on an iSCSI session are not supported. For best results it is
    recommended that basic disks be used with iSCSI. Basic Disks can be
    expanded in the same way that Dynamic Disks can be expanded. Please see
    KB325590 at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];325590
    for more information on extending a data volume on a basic disk. If you do
    attempt to setup a dynamic disk on an iSCSI volume, after logging into the
    target you may have to manually go into the disk manager and reactivate the
    disk. To do this, right click on the disk and select the Reactivate Disk
    menu item. Please see the iSCSI users guide for more information.

    Regards,
    John

    Visit my blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/jtoner

    "tman" wrote in message
    > I've been connecting a few MS iSCSI s/w initiator based hosts to our iSCSI
    > SAN without problem. Re-connects survive reboots and everything works ok.
    >
    > I have one host though that has a s/w initiator connection to a 100Gb SAN
    > volume. It runs the SAN connection over a dedicated NIC, and mounts the
    > volume fine. While the volume is mounted, all i/o works without fault.
    > Trouble is, when the server is rebooted, the SAN volume doesn't re-mount,
    > and always shows as 'failed'. If I re-activate the volume, it re-mounts

    and
    > all the data is intact. The volume then performs as usual. The MPIO module
    > is loaded, and I've tried v2.05 and v2.06 of the initiator. The host is
    > Windows 2000 SP4.
    >
    > I've tried setting a persistant mount point, and even set the SERVER

    service
    > to be dependant on the MSiSCSI service, just incase something wasn't
    > starting in time, but it hasn't made any difference.
    >
    > Any ideas?

  3. Re: iSCSI failed disk

    > Per the iSCSI initator release notes:
    >
    > Dynamic disks on an iSCSI session are not supported.

    Agree with John, however if you must use dynamic disks :

    certain iSCSI HBA vendors will support this, as they have an iSCSI stack in
    firmware which will run prior to dmboot/dmio... hence you can do dynamic on
    iSCSI ... BUT it will be solely supported by your HBA vendor.

    talk to your HBA vendor !

  4. Re: iSCSI failed disk

    Thanks for the help.

    I've had more success with setting the partition type to basic, and the
    volume now appears to mount ok following a reboot. Our larger servers
    connected to the SAN all run Win2k3 with QLogic iSCSI HBA's, and these mount
    dynamic volumes no problem.

    I hope this is something MS address in a future release of the initiator.

    "tman" wrote in message
    > I've been connecting a few MS iSCSI s/w initiator based hosts to our iSCSI
    > SAN without problem. Re-connects survive reboots and everything works ok.
    >
    > I have one host though that has a s/w initiator connection to a 100Gb SAN
    > volume. It runs the SAN connection over a dedicated NIC, and mounts the
    > volume fine. While the volume is mounted, all i/o works without fault.
    > Trouble is, when the server is rebooted, the SAN volume doesn't re-mount,
    > and always shows as 'failed'. If I re-activate the volume, it re-mounts
    > and all the data is intact. The volume then performs as usual. The MPIO
    > module is loaded, and I've tried v2.05 and v2.06 of the initiator. The
    > host is Windows 2000 SP4.
    >
    > I've tried setting a persistant mount point, and even set the SERVER
    > service to be dependant on the MSiSCSI service, just incase something
    > wasn't starting in time, but it hasn't made any difference.
    >
    > Any ideas?

+ Reply to Thread