Seagate, Maxtor and Western Digital - Storage

This is a discussion on Seagate, Maxtor and Western Digital - Storage ; I just replaced 1 Maxtor and 2 Seagate hard drives with Western Digital. All are internal 3.5inch, 7200RPM, 8MB cache. The replacements were made based on SMART data on the drives read by www.grc.com SpinRite application. The Seagates and Maxtor ...

  1. Seagate, Maxtor and Western Digital

    I just replaced 1 Maxtor and 2 Seagate hard drives with Western
    Digital. All are internal 3.5inch, 7200RPM, 8MB cache.

    The replacements were made based on SMART data on the drives read by
    www.grc.com SpinRite application. The Seagates and Maxtor
    (manufactured by Seagate) all reported massive Seek Errors, ECC
    Errors, Write Errors, and others that I don't recall. One of the
    Seagate drives was only 1 month old. I contacted Seagate on the new
    one, and was told to send it in for warranty replacement. I received a
    refurbished drive that had more errors than the one I sent them. YIKES
    - no more of this. The Seagate and Maxtor drives were all under
    warranty, and I chucked them.

    I now have 4 Western Digital drives. Not one is reporting any SMART
    errors; the oldest one is a 40MB and has over 30,000 hours reported by
    SMART data.

    Is this a fluke? Does Seagate make defective drives? Does Western
    Digital report SMART data correctly? I am a bit suspicious since none
    of the WD drives show any SMART errors.

  2. Re: Seagate, Maxtor and Western Digital

    gojlt2 wrote:
    > I just replaced 1 Maxtor and 2 Seagate hard drives with Western
    > Digital. All are internal 3.5inch, 7200RPM, 8MB cache.
    >
    > The replacements were made based on SMART data on the drives read by
    > www.grc.com SpinRite application. The Seagates and Maxtor
    > (manufactured by Seagate) all reported massive Seek Errors, ECC
    > Errors, Write Errors, and others that I don't recall. One of the
    > Seagate drives was only 1 month old. I contacted Seagate on the new
    > one, and was told to send it in for warranty replacement. I received a
    > refurbished drive that had more errors than the one I sent them. YIKES
    > - no more of this. The Seagate and Maxtor drives were all under
    > warranty, and I chucked them.
    >
    > I now have 4 Western Digital drives. Not one is reporting any SMART
    > errors; the oldest one is a 40MB and has over 30,000 hours reported by
    > SMART data.

    > Is this a fluke?

    Nope.

    > Does Seagate make defective drives?

    Certainly some of them do die, just like with any manufacturer.

    > Does Western Digital report SMART data correctly?

    Yes.

    > I am a bit suspicious since none of the WD drives show any SMART errors.

    Post the SMART reports that Everest produces.

  3. Re: Seagate, Maxtor and Western Digital

    Previously gojlt2 wrote:
    > I just replaced 1 Maxtor and 2 Seagate hard drives with Western
    > Digital. All are internal 3.5inch, 7200RPM, 8MB cache.

    > The replacements were made based on SMART data on the drives read by
    > www.grc.com SpinRite application. The Seagates and Maxtor
    > (manufactured by Seagate) all reported massive Seek Errors, ECC
    > Errors, Write Errors, and others that I don't recall. One of the
    > Seagate drives was only 1 month old. I contacted Seagate on the new
    > one, and was told to send it in for warranty replacement. I received a
    > refurbished drive that had more errors than the one I sent them. YIKES
    > - no more of this. The Seagate and Maxtor drives were all under
    > warranty, and I chucked them.

    > I now have 4 Western Digital drives. Not one is reporting any SMART
    > errors; the oldest one is a 40MB and has over 30,000 hours reported by
    > SMART data.

    > Is this a fluke? Does Seagate make defective drives? Does Western
    > Digital report SMART data correctly? I am a bit suspicious since none
    > of the WD drives show any SMART errors.

    Seagate has turned out some really bad drives lately. They used to be
    dependable, but no more. Maxtor is owned by Seagate.

    With seek errors, you can have external sources, such as a bad PSU,
    though. I would be surprised to see seek errors in three different
    drives at the same time without an external reason.

    The ECC errors (ECC recoverd) are normal. Drives do not to
    a precision seek on reading and often need to apply ECC
    or re-read. ECC is faster these days. Write errors are
    troubling, but can be the result of seeking problems.

    Arno

  4. Re: Seagate, Maxtor and Western Digital

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:60durbF1qnnveU3@mid.individual.net
    > Previously gojlt2 wrote:
    > > I just replaced 1 Maxtor and 2 Seagate hard drives with Western
    > > Digital. All are internal 3.5inch, 7200RPM, 8MB cache.

    > > The replacements were made based on SMART data on the drives read by
    > > www.grc.com SpinRite application. The Seagates and Maxtor
    > > (manufactured by Seagate) all reported massive Seek Errors, ECC
    > > Errors, Write Errors, and others that I don't recall. One of the
    > > Seagate drives was only 1 month old. I contacted Seagate on the new
    > > one, and was told to send it in for warranty replacement. I received a
    > > refurbished drive that had more errors than the one I sent them. YIKES
    > > - no more of this. The Seagate and Maxtor drives were all under
    > > warranty, and I chucked them.

    > > I now have 4 Western Digital drives. Not one is reporting any SMART
    > > errors; the oldest one is a 40MB and has over 30,000 hours reported by
    > > SMART data.

    > > Is this a fluke? Does Seagate make defective drives? Does Western
    > > Digital report SMART data correctly? I am a bit suspicious since none
    > > of the WD drives show any SMART errors.

    > Seagate has turned out some really bad drives lately. They used to be
    > dependable, but no more.

    > Maxtor is owned by Seagate.

    Aha, that must be it.

    > With seek errors, you can have external sources, such as a bad PSU,
    > though. I would be surprised to see seek errors in three different
    > drives at the same time without an external reason.
    >
    > The ECC errors (ECC recoverd) are normal. Drives do not to
    > a precision seek on reading and often need to apply ECC

    > or re-read.

    Utter nonsense.

    > ECC is faster these days.

    No. Really? Who would have thought, eh.

    > Write errors are troubling, but can be the result of seeking problems.

    Clueless, as always.

    > Arno

  5. Re: Seagate, Maxtor and Western Digital

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:24:23 -0800 (PST), gojlt2
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >I just replaced 1 Maxtor and 2 Seagate hard drives with Western
    >Digital. All are internal 3.5inch, 7200RPM, 8MB cache.
    >
    >The replacements were made based on SMART data on the drives read by
    >www.grc.com SpinRite application. The Seagates and Maxtor
    >(manufactured by Seagate) all reported massive Seek Errors, ECC
    >Errors, Write Errors, and others that I don't recall. One of the
    >Seagate drives was only 1 month old. I contacted Seagate on the new
    >one, and was told to send it in for warranty replacement. I received a
    >refurbished drive that had more errors than the one I sent them. YIKES
    >- no more of this. The Seagate and Maxtor drives were all under
    >warranty, and I chucked them.
    >
    >I now have 4 Western Digital drives. Not one is reporting any SMART
    >errors; the oldest one is a 40MB and has over 30,000 hours reported by
    >SMART data.
    >
    >Is this a fluke? Does Seagate make defective drives? Does Western
    >Digital report SMART data correctly? I am a bit suspicious since none
    >of the WD drives show any SMART errors.

    Seagate drives appear to report big numbers for these parameters.

    Here are some examples.

    Good 120GB Seagate HD:
    http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/SmartUDM/120GB.RPT

    13GB Seagate HD with bad sectors:
    http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/SmartUDM/13GB.RPT

    Good 6GB Fujitsu HD:
    http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/SmartUDM/6GB.RPT

    See this old post of mine where I attempted to make sense of my
    Seagate SMART data.

    Seagate SMART, Raw Read Error Rate, Seek Error Rate
    http://tinyurl.com/38nxmj

    My testing suggests that the Seek Error Rate number is actually a
    count, not a rate, and it appears to count seeks rather than seek
    errors. Hence it comes as no surprise to me that your refurbished
    drive has larger values for these parameters.

    - Franc Zabkar

  6. Re: Seagate, Maxtor and Western Digital

    gojlt2 wrote:

    > I just replaced 1 Maxtor and 2 Seagate hard drives with Western
    > Digital. All are internal 3.5inch, 7200RPM, 8MB cache.
    >
    > The replacements were made based on SMART data on the drives read by
    > www.grc.com SpinRite application. The Seagates and Maxtor
    > (manufactured by Seagate) all reported massive Seek Errors, ECC
    > Errors, Write Errors, and others that I don't recall. One of the
    > Seagate drives was only 1 month old. I contacted Seagate on the new
    > one, and was told to send it in for warranty replacement. I received a
    > refurbished drive that had more errors than the one I sent them. YIKES
    > - no more of this. The Seagate and Maxtor drives were all under
    > warranty, and I chucked them.
    >
    > I now have 4 Western Digital drives. Not one is reporting any SMART
    > errors; the oldest one is a 40MB and has over 30,000 hours reported by
    > SMART data.
    >
    > Is this a fluke? Does Seagate make defective drives? Does Western
    > Digital report SMART data correctly? I am a bit suspicious since none
    > of the WD drives show any SMART errors.

    I am currently de-engineering some Seagate drives, with the assistance
    of a highly-qualified CNC engineer.

    Seagate drives (at least their higher-capacity drives manufactured
    within the past year) are displaying signs of manufacturing errors,
    resulting in catastrophic failures.

    Once this aberration has been confirmed, it will be made available to
    the world's IT press.

    For the time being, I no longer recommend Seagate drives; I am
    receiving more of these for recovery than all other drives put
    together. Only two years ago, I recommended nothing but Seagate.

    The problem seems to stem from the construction (mal-construction) of
    their fluid bearings.

    I have been in touch with the European / Middle East CEO of Seagate who
    is taking his time to respond to my requests for information.

    Watch this space.

    Duncan
    --
    Retrodata
    www.retrodata.co.uk

  7. Re: Seagate, Maxtor and Western Digital

    Previously Odie Ferrous wrote:
    > gojlt2 wrote:
    >>
    >> I just replaced 1 Maxtor and 2 Seagate hard drives with Western
    >> Digital. All are internal 3.5inch, 7200RPM, 8MB cache.
    >>
    >> The replacements were made based on SMART data on the drives read by
    >> www.grc.com SpinRite application. The Seagates and Maxtor
    >> (manufactured by Seagate) all reported massive Seek Errors, ECC
    >> Errors, Write Errors, and others that I don't recall. One of the
    >> Seagate drives was only 1 month old. I contacted Seagate on the new
    >> one, and was told to send it in for warranty replacement. I received a
    >> refurbished drive that had more errors than the one I sent them. YIKES
    >> - no more of this. The Seagate and Maxtor drives were all under
    >> warranty, and I chucked them.
    >>
    >> I now have 4 Western Digital drives. Not one is reporting any SMART
    >> errors; the oldest one is a 40MB and has over 30,000 hours reported by
    >> SMART data.
    >>
    >> Is this a fluke? Does Seagate make defective drives? Does Western
    >> Digital report SMART data correctly? I am a bit suspicious since none
    >> of the WD drives show any SMART errors.

    > I am currently de-engineering some Seagate drives, with the assistance
    > of a highly-qualified CNC engineer.

    > Seagate drives (at least their higher-capacity drives manufactured
    > within the past year) are displaying signs of manufacturing errors,
    > resulting in catastrophic failures.

    No surprise from my own (smaller, but independent) observations.

    > Once this aberration has been confirmed, it will be made available to
    > the world's IT press.

    Cool. Please post a link here when the results become available.

    > For the time being, I no longer recommend Seagate drives; I am
    > receiving more of these for recovery than all other drives put
    > together. Only two years ago, I recommended nothing but Seagate.

    > The problem seems to stem from the construction (mal-construction) of
    > their fluid bearings.

    > I have been in touch with the European / Middle East CEO of Seagate who
    > is taking his time to respond to my requests for information.

    > Watch this space.

    Will do.

    Arno

  8. Re: Seagate, Maxtor and Western Digital

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:60f4qkF1njncpU3@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Odie Ferrous wrote:
    > > gojlt2 wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I just replaced 1 Maxtor and 2 Seagate hard drives with Western
    > > > Digital. All are internal 3.5inch, 7200RPM, 8MB cache.
    > > >
    > > > The replacements were made based on SMART data on the drives read by
    > > > www.grc.com SpinRite application. The Seagates and Maxtor
    > > > (manufactured by Seagate) all reported massive Seek Errors, ECC
    > > > Errors, Write Errors, and others that I don't recall. One of the
    > > > Seagate drives was only 1 month old. I contacted Seagate on the new
    > > > one, and was told to send it in for warranty replacement. I received a
    > > > refurbished drive that had more errors than the one I sent them. YIKES
    > > > - no more of this. The Seagate and Maxtor drives were all under
    > > > warranty, and I chucked them.
    > > >
    > > > I now have 4 Western Digital drives. Not one is reporting any SMART
    > > > errors; the oldest one is a 40MB and has over 30,000 hours reported by
    > > > SMART data.
    > > >
    > > > Is this a fluke? Does Seagate make defective drives? Does Western
    > > > Digital report SMART data correctly? I am a bit suspicious since none
    > > > of the WD drives show any SMART errors.

    > > I am currently de-engineering some Seagate drives, with the assistance

    > > of a highly-qualified CNC engineer.

    That's what you think.

    > > Seagate drives (at least their higher-capacity drives manufactured
    > > within the past year) are displaying signs of manufacturing errors,
    > > resulting in catastrophic failures.

    > No surprise from my own (smaller, but independent) observations.

    Thats why you still buy them, eh babblebot.
    To make your (smaller, but *independent*) observations.
    So babblebot, how come you didn't strike us down with this earth shat-
    tering news.

    > > Once this aberration has been confirmed, it will be made available to
    > > the world's IT press.

    > Cool.

    Cool? Come on babblebot, a bit more enthusiasm, please.

    > Please post a link here when the results become available.

    You won't be needing that since it will be news so blindingly hot
    that it will burn the skin of your face babblebot. Literally.

    > > For the time being, I no longer recommend Seagate drives; I am
    > > receiving more of these for recovery than all other drives put
    > > together. Only two years ago, I recommended nothing but Seagate.

    > > The problem seems to stem from the construction (mal-construction) of
    > > their fluid bearings.

    > > I have been in touch with the European / Middle East CEO of Seagate who
    > > is taking his time to respond to my requests for information.

    > > Watch this space.

    > Will do.

    Yes please. And don't forget to hold your breath while doing it.

    > Arno

+ Reply to Thread