Good Cheap NetApp System To Explore Feature Set? - Storage

This is a discussion on Good Cheap NetApp System To Explore Feature Set? - Storage ; I'm looking for a few recommendations for NetApp systems I can buy on the cheap that would give a reasonable introduction to the NetApp feature set, particularly for things like snapshots. I'm okay with something that is older technology and ...

  1. Good Cheap NetApp System To Explore Feature Set?

    I'm looking for a few recommendations for NetApp systems I can buy on the
    cheap that would give a reasonable introduction to the NetApp feature set,
    particularly for things like snapshots. I'm okay with something that is
    older technology and maybe a full release out of the current release. My
    main goal is to understand how and if the feature set might be used in
    various applications we have for disk-based backup.

    --
    Will

  2. Re: Good Cheap NetApp System To Explore Feature Set?

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:06:13 -0800, "Will"
    wrote:

    >I'm looking for a few recommendations for NetApp systems I can buy on the
    >cheap that would give a reasonable introduction to the NetApp feature set,
    >particularly for things like snapshots. I'm okay with something that is
    >older technology and maybe a full release out of the current release. My
    >main goal is to understand how and if the feature set might be used in
    >various applications we have for disk-based backup.

    Cheap is so subjective. Give us a ballpark?

    The lowest-end NetApp that you can get is a 270c, though they have
    been EoL'd and the 2020c is about the same price (maybe a 3%
    differential).
    The 2020 is the new low-end but fairly robust in it's own right.

    I think this is probably your best bet but, like I said, cheap is very
    subjective.

    ~F

  3. Re: Good Cheap NetApp System To Explore Feature Set?

    "Faeandar" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:06:13 -0800, "Will"
    > wrote:
    >>I'm looking for a few recommendations for NetApp systems I can buy on the
    >>cheap that would give a reasonable introduction to the NetApp feature set,
    >>particularly for things like snapshots. I'm okay with something that is
    >>older technology and maybe a full release out of the current release. My
    >>main goal is to understand how and if the feature set might be used in
    >>various applications we have for disk-based backup.

    > Cheap is so subjective. Give us a ballpark?
    >
    > The lowest-end NetApp that you can get is a 270c, though they have
    > been EoL'd and the 2020c is about the same price (maybe a 3%
    > differential).
    > The 2020 is the new low-end but fairly robust in it's own right.

    I'm talking about under $2K bought on eBay, older generation product.

    I'm using this for a test lab experiment just to understand functionality,
    not performance.

    --
    Will

  4. Re: Good Cheap NetApp System To Explore Feature Set?

    On Jan 29, 11:13 pm, "Will" wrote:
    > "Faeandar" wrote in message

    > > On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:06:13 -0800, "Will"
    > > wrote:
    > >>I'm looking for a few recommendations for NetApp systems I can buy on the
    > >>cheap that would give a reasonable introduction to the NetApp feature set,
    > >>particularly for things like snapshots. I'm okay with something that is
    > >>older technology and maybe a full release out of the current release. My
    > >>main goal is to understand how and if the feature set might be used in
    > >>various applications we have for disk-based backup.

    > > Cheap is so subjective. Give us a ballpark?

    > > The lowest-end NetApp that you can get is a 270c, though they have
    > > been EoL'd and the 2020c is about the same price (maybe a 3%
    > > differential).
    > > The 2020 is the new low-end but fairly robust in it's own right.

    > I'm talking about under $2K bought on eBay, older generation product.
    >
    > I'm using this for a test lab experiment just to understand functionality,
    > not performance.
    >
    > --
    > Will

    Well, if its only the feature set that you are interested in, why not
    look at the NetApp simulator, Its free! and simulates all the major
    functions of a real filer, except for FC SAN
    -G

+ Reply to Thread