boot laptop with eSATA ExpressCard? - Storage

This is a discussion on boot laptop with eSATA ExpressCard? - Storage ; Has anyone here booted a laptop using an external HD connected via an eSATA ExpressCard? The ExpressCard that I had been planning to use is this one by SIIG: http://siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=SC-SAEE22-S1 . But a call to SIIG indicates that the HD ...

  1. boot laptop with eSATA ExpressCard?

    Has anyone here booted a laptop using an external HD
    connected via an eSATA ExpressCard? The ExpressCard
    that I had been planning to use is this one by SIIG:
    http://siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=SC-SAEE22-S1 .
    But a call to SIIG indicates that the HD couldn't be used to
    boot a laptop, only to hold data. Has anyone here had
    better luck with this or any other eSATA ExpressCard?

    *TimDaniels*

  2. Re: boot laptop with eSATA ExpressCard?

    Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > Has anyone here booted a laptop using an external HD
    > connected via an eSATA ExpressCard? The ExpressCard
    > that I had been planning to use is this one by SIIG:
    > http://siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=SC-SAEE22-S1 .
    > But a call to SIIG indicates that the HD couldn't be used to
    > boot a laptop, only to hold data. Has anyone here had
    > better luck with this or any other eSATA ExpressCard?

    It aint just the card that matters, the laptop needs to be able
    to specify that you want to boot off the drive on the card too.
    That last isnt that common a capability at all.

  3. Re: boot laptop with eSATA ExpressCard?

    Previously Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > Has anyone here booted a laptop using an external HD
    > connected via an eSATA ExpressCard? The ExpressCard
    > that I had been planning to use is this one by SIIG:
    > http://siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=SC-SAEE22-S1 .
    > But a call to SIIG indicates that the HD couldn't be used to
    > boot a laptop, only to hold data. Has anyone here had
    > better luck with this or any other eSATA ExpressCard?

    > *TimDaniels*

    In principle these cards could be made bootable like
    any other PCI Express HDD controller. I think you
    should just look for one that claims to be bootable.

    Arno

  4. Re: boot laptop with eSATA ExpressCard?

    "Arno Wagner" wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >> Has anyone here booted a laptop using an external HD
    >> connected via an eSATA ExpressCard? The ExpressCard
    >> that I had been planning to use is this one by SIIG:
    >> http://siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=SC-SAEE22-S1 .
    >> But a call to SIIG indicates that the HD couldn't be used to
    >> boot a laptop, only to hold data. Has anyone here had
    >> better luck with this or any other eSATA ExpressCard?

    >> *TimDaniels*

    > In principle these cards could be made bootable like
    > any other PCI Express HDD controller. I think you
    > should just look for one that claims to be bootable.
    >
    > Arno

    IOW, the bootability lies with the ExpressCard and
    not in the laptop's BIOS?

    *TimDaniels*

  5. Re: boot laptop with eSATA ExpressCard?

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message news:609bsmF1q24stU1@mid.individual.net...
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone here booted a laptop using an external HD
    >> connected via an eSATA ExpressCard? The ExpressCard
    >> that I had been planning to use is this one by SIIG:
    >> http://siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=SC-SAEE22-S1 .
    >> But a call to SIIG indicates that the HD couldn't be used to
    >> boot a laptop, only to hold data. Has anyone here had
    >> better luck with this or any other eSATA ExpressCard?

    > It aint just the card that matters, the laptop needs to be able
    > to specify that you want to boot off the drive on the card too.
    > That last isnt that common a capability at all.

    There is the Int13 BIOS on the card, and
    the boot select options in the system BIOS.
    Are you saying the latter is not standard on laptops?

  6. Re: boot laptop with eSATA ExpressCard?

    Previously Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > "Arno Wagner" wrote:
    >> Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >>> Has anyone here booted a laptop using an external HD
    >>> connected via an eSATA ExpressCard? The ExpressCard
    >>> that I had been planning to use is this one by SIIG:
    >>> http://siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=SC-SAEE22-S1 .
    >>> But a call to SIIG indicates that the HD couldn't be used to
    >>> boot a laptop, only to hold data. Has anyone here had
    >>> better luck with this or any other eSATA ExpressCard?

    >>> *TimDaniels*

    >> In principle these cards could be made bootable like
    >> any other PCI Express HDD controller. I think you
    >> should just look for one that claims to be bootable.
    >>
    >> Arno

    > IOW, the bootability lies with the ExpressCard and
    > not in the laptop's BIOS?

    The standard method is for the ExpressCard to have its
    own BIOS, which ''hooks'' into the system BIOS. An alternate
    (cheaper) method is to bring the card up in an IDE compatible
    mode that the laptop BIOS handles. This second method often
    does not work and does indeed depend on the laptop's BIOS.

    Arno

  7. Re: boot laptop with eSATA ExpressCard?

    Eric Gisin wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Timothy Daniels wrote

    >>> Has anyone here booted a laptop using an external HD
    >>> connected via an eSATA ExpressCard? The ExpressCard
    >>> that I had been planning to use is this one by SIIG:
    >>> http://siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=SC-SAEE22-S1 .
    >>> But a call to SIIG indicates that the HD couldn't be used to
    >>> boot a laptop, only to hold data. Has anyone here had
    >>> better luck with this or any other eSATA ExpressCard?

    >> It aint just the card that matters, the laptop needs to be able
    >> to specify that you want to boot off the drive on the card too.
    >> That last isnt that common a capability at all.

    > There is the Int13 BIOS on the card, and
    > the boot select options in the system BIOS.
    > Are you saying the latter is not standard on laptops?

    Yep, nothing like standard on laptops.

  8. Re: boot laptop with eSATA ExpressCard?

    Timothy Daniels wrote
    > Arno Wagner wrote
    >> Timothy Daniels wrote

    >>> Has anyone here booted a laptop using an external HD
    >>> connected via an eSATA ExpressCard? The ExpressCard
    >>> that I had been planning to use is this one by SIIG:
    >>> http://siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=SC-SAEE22-S1 .
    >>> But a call to SIIG indicates that the HD couldn't be used to
    >>> boot a laptop, only to hold data. Has anyone here had
    >>> better luck with this or any other eSATA ExpressCard?

    >> In principle these cards could be made bootable like
    >> any other PCI Express HDD controller. I think you
    >> should just look for one that claims to be bootable.

    > IOW, the bootability lies with the ExpressCard and not in the laptop's BIOS?

    Its more complicated than that with a LAPTOP.

    He doesnt appear to have noticed that you're talking about a laptop.

  9. Re: boot laptop with eSATA ExpressCard?

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:60a5vmF1pujqfU1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > > > In principle these cards could be made bootable like
    > > > any other PCI Express HDD controller. I think you
    > > > should just look for one that claims to be bootable.
    > > >
    > > > Arno

    > > IOW, the bootability lies with the ExpressCard and
    > > not in the laptop's BIOS?

    > The standard method is for the ExpressCard to have its
    > own BIOS, which ''hooks'' into the system BIOS. An alternate
    > (cheaper) method is to bring the card up in an IDE compatible
    > mode that the laptop BIOS handles. This second method often
    > does not work and does indeed depend on the laptop's BIOS.

    Bwahahah.

    > Arno

  10. Re: boot laptop with eSATA ExpressCard?

    Rod Speed wrote in news:60a63cF1pljd8U1@mid.individual.net
    > Timothy Daniels wrote
    > > Arno Wagner wrote
    > > > Timothy Daniels wrote

    > > > In principle these cards could be made bootable like
    > > > any other PCI Express HDD controller. I think you
    > > > should just look for one that claims to be bootable.

    > > IOW, the bootability lies with the ExpressCard and not in the laptop's BIOS?

    > Its more complicated than that with a LAPTOP.
    >
    > He doesnt appear to have noticed that you're talking about a laptop.

    Which of course can't happen with a babblebot.
    So he cooked up a story, as always.

  11. Re: boot laptop with eSATA ExpressCard?

    To start i haven't messed with the eSATA ExpressCard that much but, it
    sounds like you are running into the same issue that used to happen
    with PCMCIA NIC card in laptops before they were integrated into the
    MB. The issue was, on post the bay was never initialized because the
    pc didn't have any native driver that could access the slot preboot.
    So you could never do a PXE boot to a PCMCIA NIC. Once they integrated
    the NIC to the MB you were then able to boot from NIC and USB etc.
    this may be the case with your express card.
    Regards,
    fatmann66

    P.S. Folkert Rienstra stated:
    > Which of course can't happen with a babblebot.

    Why is it that all the posts I read today that you posted on you have
    nothing constructive to say? You are always complaining about a poster
    being a "babblebot" when if fact your post are the most worthless of
    them all because they have nothing relevant to add to the conversation.

  12. Re: boot laptop with eSATA ExpressCard?

    fatmann66 wrote:
    > Folkert Rienstra stated

    >> Which of course can't happen with a babblebot.

    > Why is it that all the posts I read today that you
    > posted on you have nothing constructive to say?

    Because thats all he ever posts.

    > You are always complaining about a poster being a "babblebot"
    > when if fact your post are the most worthless of them all because
    > they have nothing relevant to add to the conversation.

    He's just some loon kept in a padded cell that escapes from it occasionally.

  13. Re: boot laptop with eSATA ExpressCard?

    And how is your response any different except for trolling for the
    inevitable response this type of "question" always gets from the
    resident trolls: Roddles, Odiferous and the Babblebot?

    fatmann66 wrote

    > P.S. Folkert Rienstra stated:
    > > Which of course can't happen with a babblebot.

    > Why is it that all the posts I read today that you posted on you have
    > nothing constructive to say? You are always complaining about a poster
    > being a "babblebot" when if fact your post are the most worthless of
    > them all because they have nothing relevant to add to the conversation.

+ Reply to Thread