dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive? - Storage

This is a discussion on dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive? - Storage ; It runs fine for ~ half a year. Without any warning, I have trouble powering up. It powers up ok like any other HD I've seen but it also making a clicking noise at a regular pace (~ once a ...

  1. dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive?

    It runs fine for ~ half a year. Without any warning, I have trouble
    powering up. It powers up ok like any other HD I've seen but it also
    making a clicking noise at a regular pace (~ once a second) like it
    got stuck by something at rotation. After a few minutes, it shuts
    itself down. If I power it up again, it would go through the same
    process like described above.

    I have a lot of files on the HD that I'd like to retreive before
    sending it back. Are there tricks that I can temporarily making it
    work? I wonder if I slap at it at certain angle, it may break free and
    work again?? I've seen tips of putting it in a freezer.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,

    cpliu

  2. Re: dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive?

    cpliu wrote:

    > It runs fine for ~ half a year. Without any warning, I have
    > trouble powering up. It powers up ok like any other HD
    > I've seen but it also making a clicking noise at a regular pace
    > (~ once a second) like it got stuck by something at rotation.

    More likely what you hear is the drive recalibrating
    when it cant read the platters properly.

    > After a few minutes, it shuts itself down.

    Because it decides that even recalibrating wont read the platters properly.

    > If I power it up again, it would go through the same process like described above.

    > I have a lot of files on the HD that I'd like to retreive before sending it back.

    Smart move not having proper backups.

    > Are there tricks that I can temporarily making it work?

    You could try putting it in a plastic bag in the freezer for a couple of hours
    and see if it will read the platters properly for a short time before it warms up.

    > I wonder if I slap at it at certain angle, it may break free and work again??

    Its unlikely to stuck and you should be able to feel if its rotating by
    powering it up loose and feeling the drive when its powering up.

    > I've seen tips of putting it in a freezer.

    > Any suggestions?

    Try the freezer, it does sometimes work.

    Professional recovery will likely get the data back, but it isnt cheap.

  3. Re: dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive?

    Previously cpliu wrote:
    > It runs fine for ~ half a year. Without any warning, I have trouble
    > powering up. It powers up ok like any other HD I've seen but it also
    > making a clicking noise at a regular pace (~ once a second) like it
    > got stuck by something at rotation. After a few minutes, it shuts
    > itself down. If I power it up again, it would go through the same
    > process like described above.

    Sounds like excessive read or postioning errors. Please post the
    full SMART attributes here.

    > I have a lot of files on the HD that I'd like to retreive before
    > sending it back. Are there tricks that I can temporarily making it
    > work? I wonder if I slap at it at certain angle, it may break free and
    > work again??

    Stiction does not happen to modern drives due to improved
    surface coating. You may cause additional damage though.

    > I've seen tips of putting it in a freezer.

    Unlikely to help, but you can try it.

    > Any suggestions?

    Next time -- make backups. Seems this is a lession thathas to
    be learned the hard way...

    Arno

  4. Re: dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive?

    Thank you all for the suggestions. I put it in the freezer for one
    night but it didn't help. It might take longer to start the clicking
    noise. Here is the recorded noise: http://66.179.233.115/training/xfer/HD_noise.mp3
    This is the first time that a HD stopped working without any symptons
    first. I carried it to work to backup and retrieve data when needed
    and I didn't drop it or mishandle it. Maybe the motion of walking with
    it inside a bag or putting it on the table gradually kills it.
    I have 90% of files with a second copy or on DVD. There are a few big
    files and newer files I don't have backups. It would be still nice if
    I can still back them up before sending it back.
    The HD won't show up on my laptop. How do I generate SMART attribute?

    Thanks for the help,

    cpliu

  5. Re: dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive?

    cpliu wrote:
    > Thank you all for the suggestions. I put it in the freezer for one
    > night but it didn't help. It might take longer to start the clicking
    > noise. Here is the recorded noise:
    > http://66.179.233.115/training/xfer/HD_noise.mp3 This is the first
    > time that a HD stopped working without any symptons
    > first. I carried it to work to backup and retrieve data when needed
    > and I didn't drop it or mishandle it.

    > Maybe the motion of walking with it inside a
    > bag or putting it on the table gradually kills it.

    Nope, but you might have killed it with static if it wasnt an antistatic bag.

    > I have 90% of files with a second copy or on DVD. There are
    > a few big files and newer files I don't have backups. It would
    > be still nice if I can still back them up before sending it back.

    > The HD won't show up on my laptop. How do I generate SMART attribute?

    Use Everest

  6. Re: dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive?

    cpliu wrote:

    > Thank you all for the suggestions. I put it in the freezer for one
    > night but it didn't help. It might take longer to start the clicking
    > noise. Here is the recorded noise: http://66.179.233.115/training/xfer/HD_noise.mp3
    > This is the first time that a HD stopped working without any symptons
    > first. I carried it to work to backup and retrieve data when needed
    > and I didn't drop it or mishandle it. Maybe the motion of walking with
    > it inside a bag or putting it on the table gradually kills it.
    > I have 90% of files with a second copy or on DVD. There are a few big
    > files and newer files I don't have backups. It would be still nice if
    > I can still back them up before sending it back.
    > The HD won't show up on my laptop. How do I generate SMART attribute?
    >
    > Thanks for the help,
    >
    > cpliu

    I listened to your recording.

    You have either bad firmware or bad heads.

    No amount of freezing or playing around with utilities is going to bring
    this drive back to life.

    I have seen an enormous surge of recently-manufactured Seagate drives
    (high-capacity) coming in for recovery - although admittedly mainly with
    failed bearings rather than bad heads or firmware. It is an issue I
    will be taking up with Seagate and posting on my website in the coming
    days.

    From having been the most reliable drives around two to four years ago,
    I now see more Seagate drives for recovery than any other, and I no
    longer recommend them for reliability.

    Recovering that drive is going to be costly.

    And, no - I am not offering - I'm snowed under at the moment and
    reluctant to take on new work such as that.

    Duncan
    --
    Retrodata
    www.retrodata.co.uk

  7. Re: dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive?

    Previously Odie Ferrous wrote:
    > cpliu wrote:
    >>
    >> Thank you all for the suggestions. I put it in the freezer for one
    >> night but it didn't help. It might take longer to start the clicking
    >> noise. Here is the recorded noise: http://66.179.233.115/training/xfer/HD_noise.mp3
    >> This is the first time that a HD stopped working without any symptons
    >> first. I carried it to work to backup and retrieve data when needed
    >> and I didn't drop it or mishandle it. Maybe the motion of walking with
    >> it inside a bag or putting it on the table gradually kills it.
    >> I have 90% of files with a second copy or on DVD. There are a few big
    >> files and newer files I don't have backups. It would be still nice if
    >> I can still back them up before sending it back.
    >> The HD won't show up on my laptop. How do I generate SMART attribute?
    >>
    >> Thanks for the help,
    >>
    >> cpliu

    > I listened to your recording.

    > You have either bad firmware or bad heads.

    > No amount of freezing or playing around with utilities is going to bring
    > this drive back to life.

    > I have seen an enormous surge of recently-manufactured Seagate drives
    > (high-capacity) coming in for recovery - although admittedly mainly with
    > failed bearings rather than bad heads or firmware. It is an issue I
    > will be taking up with Seagate and posting on my website in the coming
    > days.

    Might that be mainly ones of the famed Chinese origin? Or is it
    Maxtor models?

    > From having been the most reliable drives around two to four years ago,
    > I now see more Seagate drives for recovery than any other, and I no
    > longer recommend them for reliability.

    There seems to be waves of this: A manufacturer has a reputation
    for really good reliability. Then they decide to cut cost or
    mess up some other way and theirs are suddenly the worst on
    the market. Seen with IBM, sow Seagate. Expecting it with
    Samsung some day, although I hope, they manage to avoid it.

    Arno

  8. Re: dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive?

    On Jan 28, 7:21*am, Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Might that be mainly ones of the famed Chinese origin? Or is it
    > Maxtor models?

    It's Seagate made in Singapore.

  9. Re: dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive?

    On Jan 28, 2:12*am, Odie Ferrous wrote:
    > I listened to your recording.
    >
    > You have either bad firmware or bad heads.
    >
    > No amount of freezing or playing around with utilities is going to bring
    > this drive back to life.

    That's too bad. Why would a HD have bad heads? I've just started
    carrying it to work for 1.5 months. Before that, I've used it for a
    while at home (without the need to move it around) without any
    problems. Maybe I have it exposed (internal HD) so it got static? This
    is an internal unit that I access it with a SATA to USB adapter. Or is
    it because of the heat it generated? I carried another external HD to
    work for 9 months without problems.

    > I have seen an enormous surge of recently-manufactured Seagate drives
    > (high-capacity) coming in for recovery - although admittedly mainly with
    > failed bearings rather than bad heads or firmware. *It is an issue I
    > will be taking up with Seagate and posting on my website in the coming
    > days.

    All my seagate HDs failed in the past. Except this one, they were
    refurbished. I also had Maxtor, Western Digital drives. Some had
    problems after a few years. None of them failed suddenly like this
    one.
    Looks like I should avoid Seagate from now on.

    It's indeed a big lesson for me. I will backup from frequently from
    now on.

  10. Re: dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive?

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:5vvi5sF1nnv87U1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously cpliu wrote:
    > > It runs fine for ~ half a year. Without any warning, I have trouble
    > > powering up. It powers up ok like any other HD I've seen but it also
    > > making a clicking noise at a regular pace (~ once a second) like it
    > > got stuck by something at rotation. After a few minutes, it shuts
    > > itself down. If I power it up again, it would go through the same
    > > process like described above.

    > Sounds like excessive read or postioning errors. Please post the
    > full SMART attributes here.
    >
    > > I have a lot of files on the HD that I'd like to retreive before
    > > sending it back. Are there tricks that I can temporarily making it
    > > work? I wonder if I slap at it at certain angle, it may break free and
    > > work again??

    > Stiction does not happen to modern drives due to improved
    > surface coating. You may cause additional damage though.

    Utterly clueless.
    Stiction *does* happen to modern drives *due* to improved surface
    coating. That's why landingzones are specially treated to avoid stiction.
    Other drives have landing ramps to avoid this.
    If for some reason the heads park in the data area stiction becomes a
    real possibility.

    > > I've seen tips of putting it in a freezer.

    > Unlikely to help, but you can try it.
    >
    > > Any suggestions?

    > Next time -- make backups. Seems this is a lession thathas to
    > be learned the hard way...
    >
    > Arno

  11. Re: dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive?

    > > be still nice if I can still back them up before sending it back.
    > > The HD won't show up on my laptop. How do I generate SMART attribute?

    > Use Everesthttp://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

    This program and the application from Seagate can't see the HD at all.
    If I put it to motherboard, the PC freezes at booting stage.

  12. Re: dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive?

    cpliu wrote:

    >>> be still nice if I can still back them up before sending it back.
    >>> The HD won't show up on my laptop. How do I generate SMART attribute?

    >> Use Everesthttp://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

    > This program and the application from Seagate can't see the HD at all.

    Then its passed its useby date and you wont be able to get the data back yourself.

    > If I put it to motherboard, the PC freezes at booting stage.

    See above.

  13. Re: dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive?

    > >> Use Everesthttp://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

    > > This program and the application from Seagate can't see the HD at all.

    > Then its passed its useby date and you wont be able to get the data back yourself.

    thanks for the reponse. I've returned it for replacement. I probably
    won't use USB adapter on HD long term now. Besides moving it around in
    my bag often, heat might be the reason that killed it. It's hard to
    bite that a new HD could have died in 6-8 months.

  14. Re: dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive?

    I am trying to find a external HD enclosure for the replacement HD. I
    found most enclosures do not have a fan anymore. My 500GB is hot to
    touch (although not boiling hot). Is overheat a threat to modern HD
    now? Or are the new enclosures cooling HD differently?

    Thanks for the help,

  15. Re: dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive?

    cpliu wrote:

    > I am trying to find a external HD enclosure for the replacement HD.
    > I found most enclosures do not have a fan anymore. My 500GB is hot to
    > touch (although not boiling hot). Is overheat a threat to modern HD now?

    Yes.

    > Or are the new enclosures cooling HD differently?

    Nope.

  16. Re: dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive?

    Previously cpliu wrote:
    > I am trying to find a external HD enclosure for the replacement HD. I
    > found most enclosures do not have a fan anymore. My 500GB is hot to
    > touch (although not boiling hot). Is overheat a threat to modern HD
    > now?

    It still is. Some people cite the Google-study that it is
    not anymore, but that study 1) did not differentiate brands
    2) are for HDDs in a server environment, were they run 24/7
    and do not get really hot. It seems that a temperature
    diffference between 30C and 40C does indeed not have a major
    impact. The difference between 40C and 50C or above can be
    entirely different.

    > Or are the new enclosures cooling HD differently?

    No. HDD cooling in external enclosures is still exceedingly
    bad in many cases. I have posted reviews of two enclosures
    here, one with fan that could also be suitable for the Seagate.
    The one without fan was unsuitable, except for low-power Samsungs
    and, likely, for the new low-power Hitachis.

    I would not advise use of a fanless enclosure, unless your
    have temperature measurements for your specific disk that
    shows tolerable temperatures under load (say, <= 45C).

    Arno

  17. Re: dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive?

    thank you all for the advice.

  18. Re: dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive?

    cpliu wrote:

    > It runs fine for ~ half a year. Without any warning, I have trouble
    > powering up. It powers up ok like any other HD I've seen but it also
    > making a clicking noise at a regular pace (~ once a second) like it
    > got stuck by something at rotation. After a few minutes, it shuts
    > itself down. If I power it up again, it would go through the same
    > process like described above.
    >
    > I have a lot of files on the HD that I'd like to retreive before
    > sending it back. Are there tricks that I can temporarily making it
    > work? I wonder if I slap at it at certain angle, it may break free and
    > work again?? I've seen tips of putting it in a freezer.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > cpliu

    Just noticed this post.

    Of the newer than 1-year-old high capacity drives I am receiving for
    recovery, Seagate make up for about 65% of the _total_ drives I am
    receiving - including Western Digital, Samsung (not one HD501LJ in for
    recovery so far) and Hitachi. All of them display bearing seizure,
    which is difficult to recover from.

    From having dropped from being (in my opinion) the best drives available
    two years ago to now being what I would consider at best not of
    merchantable quality and at worst catastrophically unstable, I would
    avoid Seagate drives (across the entire brand, 2.5" drives included)
    under all circumstances.

    I have approached Seagate about this issue, but they deny the existence
    of any anomalies.

    Duncan
    --
    Retrodata
    www.retrodata.co.uk
    Globally Local Data Recovery Experts

  19. Re: dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive?

    The replacement Seagate 500GB HD is making some strange beeping noise
    when booting up and copying files.

    What does it mean? It's only a few weeks old. I never had good luck
    with refurbished HDs.

  20. Re: dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive?

    On Mar 7, 9:40*pm, cpliu wrote:
    > The replacement Seagate 500GB HD is making some strange beeping noise
    > when booting up and copying files.
    >
    > What does it mean? It's only a few weeks old. I never had good luck
    > with refurbished HDs.

    I called Seagate and was told that could be a bad HD or HD does not
    get enough power. The beeping was mechanical noise not any warning
    mechanism inside. Strangely, it didn't happen after taking it home.

+ Reply to Thread