Recommended USB HD kits...?? - Storage

This is a discussion on Recommended USB HD kits...?? - Storage ; Recommended USB HD kits...?? Does anyone have any recommendations on which USB Kit has the best shock mounting..?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Recommended USB HD kits...??

    Recommended USB HD kits...??

    Does anyone have any recommendations on which USB Kit has the best
    shock mounting..?

  2. Re: Recommended USB HD kits...??

    Previously hizark21@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Recommended USB HD kits...??

    > Does anyone have any recommendations on which USB Kit has the best
    > shock mounting..?

    From my observations, none have any shock mounting at all.

    Arno

  3. Re: Recommended USB HD kits...??

    hizark21@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Recommended USB HD kits...??
    >
    > Does anyone have any recommendations on which USB Kit has the best
    > shock mounting..?

    FatWallet.com has a big thread about them, entitled "The official
    external ENCLOSURE thread":

    http://www.fatwallet.com/t/28/496281/

    I don't think any enclosures have shock mounts, but a lot of them have
    poor ventilation (you may want to mount the drive 1/8" above the
    bottom with plastic washers or spacers to fix that), and some have
    internal power supplies that aren't UL listed and could be kind of
    dangerous.

  4. Re: Recommended USB HD kits...??

    larry moe 'n curly wrote in
    > hizark21@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > > Recommended USB HD kits...??
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any recommendations on which USB Kit has the best
    > > shock mounting..?

    > FatWallet.com has a big thread about them, entitled "The official
    > external ENCLOSURE thread":
    >
    > http://www.fatwallet.com/t/28/496281/

    > I don't think any enclosures have shock mounts,

    Maybe because you are not supposed to throw them?
    And when you (accidentally) throw them - no (reasonable)
    amount of shock mount can save them.

    > but a lot of them have poor ventilation

    > (you may want to mount the drive 1/8" above the
    > bottom with plastic washers or spacers to fix that),

    Won't help if no ventilation is available.
    May even worsen the situation since you're adding more insulation.

    > and some have internal power supplies that aren't UL listed
    > and could be kind of dangerous.

  5. Re: Recommended USB HD kits...??

    I am considering Sorbothane rubber washers or using Sorothane sheeting
    on the outside as well. The question is if there will be enough
    clearance for the washers.

    On Jan 19, 9:22 pm, "larry moe 'n curly"
    wrote:
    > hizar...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > Recommended USB HD kits...??

    > > Does anyone have any recommendations on which USB Kit has the best
    > > shock mounting..?

    > FatWallet.com has a big thread about them, entitled "The official
    > external ENCLOSURE thread":
    >
    > http://www.fatwallet.com/t/28/496281/
    >
    > I don't think any enclosures have shock mounts, but a lot of them have
    > poor ventilation (you may want to mount the drive 1/8" above the
    > bottom with plastic washers or spacers to fix that), and some have
    > internal power supplies that aren't UL listed and could be kind of
    > dangerous.

  6. Re: Recommended USB HD kits...??

    Folkert Rienstra wrote:

    > larry moe 'n curly wrote in

    > > I don't think any enclosures have shock mounts,

    > Maybe because you are not supposed to throw them?

    If we're supposed to throw computer equipment, why was Microsoft
    Windows invented?

  7. Re: Recommended USB HD kits...??

    Previously larry moe 'n curly wrote:

    > Folkert Rienstra wrote:

    >> larry moe 'n curly wrote in

    >> > I don't think any enclosures have shock mounts,

    >> Maybe because you are not supposed to throw them?

    > If we're supposed to throw computer equipment, why was Microsoft
    > Windows invented?

    "Created", please. There was no inventing involved.

    Side note: Did you know that the "blue screen of death" is
    blue, because researchers found that blue has a calming effect?

    Arno

  8. Re: Recommended USB HD kits...??

    Arno Wagner wrote:

    > Previously larry moe 'n curly wrote:
    >
    > > Folkert Rienstra wrote:

    > >> larry moe 'n curly wrote in

    > >> Maybe because you are not supposed to throw them?

    > > If we're supposed to throw computer equipment, why was Microsoft
    > > Windows invented?

    > "Created", please. There was no inventing involved.
    >
    > Side note: Did you know that the "blue screen of death" is
    > blue, because researchers found that blue has a calming effect?

    That's true. It causes me to shoot the monitor screen with just my .
    22 instead of my .44 Magnum.

  9. Re: Recommended USB HD kits...??

    hizark21@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I am considering Sorbothane rubber washers or using Sorothane sheeting
    > on the outside as well. The question is if there will be enough
    > clearance for the washers.

    The washers should fit fine, but to prevent the screws from vibrating
    loose, use either those screws with smooth shanks that are a lot
    larger in diameter than the threaded portion, or apply weak Loctite to
    the threads of regular screws

    From Wikipedia:

    "The feel and damping qualities of Sorbothane have been likened to
    those of meat."

    Has anybody tried replacing worn engine mounts with sirloin?

  10. Re: Recommended USB HD kits...??

    larry moe 'n curly wrote in
    > hizark21@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > > I am considering Sorbothane rubber washers or using Sorothane sheeting
    > > on the outside as well. The question is if there will be enough clearance
    > > for the washers.

    > The washers should fit fine,

    Pity washers won't help.
    For this you need either (sorbothane) grommets or studs.
    In order to reduce shock the drive must be able to move in all planes.
    Grommets need much bigger holes, studs require some extra height.

    > but to prevent the screws from vibrating loose, use either those screws
    > with smooth shanks that are a lot larger in diameter than the threaded
    > portion, or apply weak Loctite to the threads of regular screws
    >
    > From Wikipedia:
    >
    > "The feel and damping qualities of Sorbothane have been likened to
    > those of meat."
    >
    > Has anybody tried replacing worn engine mounts with sirloin?

  11. Re: Recommended USB HD kits...??

    larry moe 'n curly wrote in
    > Folkert Rienstra wrote:
    >
    > > larry moe 'n curly wrote in

    > > > I don't think any enclosures have shock mounts,

    > > Maybe because you are not supposed to throw them?

    > If we're supposed to throw computer equipment, why was Microsoft
    > Windows invented?

    Presumably you meant "If we're *not* supposed to throw
    computer equipment, why was Microsoft Windows invented" :-)

  12. Re: Recommended USB HD kits...??

    larry moe 'n curly wrote:
    > hizark21@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >> I am considering Sorbothane rubber washers or using Sorothane
    >> sheeting on the outside as well. The question is if there will be
    >> enough clearance for the washers.

    > The washers should fit fine, but to prevent the screws from vibrating
    > loose, use either those screws with smooth shanks that are a lot
    > larger in diameter than the threaded portion, or apply weak Loctite to
    > the threads of regular screws
    >
    > From Wikipedia:
    >
    > "The feel and damping qualities of Sorbothane have been likened to
    > those of meat."
    >
    > Has anybody tried replacing worn engine mounts with sirloin?

    Yes, but they didnt work too well after the dog had at them.

  13. Re: Recommended USB HD kits...??

    hizark21@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I am considering Sorbothane rubber washers or using Sorothane sheeting
    > on the outside as well. The question is if there will be enough
    > clearance for the washers.

    Why are you so concerned about heat? USB external HDD's are meant for
    data backup and not to be left on all the time so heat is really a
    non-issue. If you want external HDD's that are left on all the time then
    you should get one of those media servers for consumers they have out
    now. I have 4 external HDD's, three are in cheap aluminum NGear USB
    cases that I put together myself and the fourth is a store bought
    Comstar 1TB model that does have a rear ventilation fan. None have had
    issues with heat but the Comstar is the only one I leave on for extended
    periods because it is where I store my MP3 collection. Here's the one I
    am talking about that may suite your purpose.

    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...62&catid=23795

    In the specs it says "remarkably quiet". It's fairly quiet at first but
    the fan must be thermally controlled because one it has been on for a
    while the fan gets noisier. They make a 2TB model too.

  14. Re: Recommended USB HD kits...??

    Previously Backspace wrote:
    > hizark21@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> I am considering Sorbothane rubber washers or using Sorothane sheeting
    >> on the outside as well. The question is if there will be enough
    >> clearance for the washers.

    > Why are you so concerned about heat? USB external HDD's are meant for
    > data backup and not to be left on all the time so heat is really a
    > non-issue.

    Dead wrong (pun intended).

    a) Why do you assume they are only for backup? There is no evidence to
    back that assumption up.
    b) They are often let on all the time and even a backup may take
    long enough to heat the disk up to extreme temperatures.

    > If you want external HDD's that are left on all the time then
    > you should get one of those media servers for consumers they have out
    > now.

    Nonsense. External HDDs are far easier to use and you need to
    administrate only one computer. External HDDs are also far
    cheaper.

    > I have 4 external HDD's, three are in cheap aluminum NGear USB
    > cases that I put together myself and the fourth is a store bought
    > Comstar 1TB model that does have a rear ventilation fan. None have had
    > issues with heat but the Comstar is the only one I leave on for extended
    > periods because it is where I store my MP3 collection.

    Aha. So you assume everybody uses these things youst like you do.
    I would suggest that your reality perception is badly skewed.

    Arno

  15. Re: Recommended USB HD kits...??

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:60b9sfF1q2u0dU1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Backspace wrote:
    > > hizark21@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > > I am considering Sorbothane rubber washers or using Sorothane sheeting
    > > > on the outside as well. The question is if there will be enough
    > > > clearance for the washers.

    > > Why are you so concerned about heat? USB external HDD's are meant for
    > > data backup and not to be left on all the time so heat is really a
    > > non-issue.

    > Dead wrong (pun intended).
    >
    > a) Why do you assume they are only for backup? There is no evidence to
    > back that assumption up.
    > b) They are often let on all the time and even a backup may take
    > long enough to heat the disk up to extreme temperatures.
    >
    > > If you want external HDD's that are left on all the time then
    > > you should get one of those media servers for consumers they have out
    > > now.

    > Nonsense. External HDDs are far easier to use and you need to
    > administrate only one computer. External HDDs are also far
    > cheaper.
    >
    > > I have 4 external HDD's, three are in cheap aluminum NGear USB
    > > cases that I put together myself and the fourth is a store bought
    > > Comstar 1TB model that does have a rear ventilation fan. None have had
    > > issues with heat but the Comstar is the only one I leave on for extended
    > > periods because it is where I store my MP3 collection.

    > Aha. So you assume everybody uses these things youst like you do.
    > I would suggest that your reality perception is badly skewed.

    Wotanidjut.

    > Arno

  16. Re: Recommended USB HD kits...??

    Arno Wagner wrote:

    > Previously Backspace wrote:
    > > hizark21@yahoo.com wrote:
    > >> I am considering Sorbothane rubber washers or using Sorothane sheeting
    > >> on the outside as well. The question is if there will be enough
    > >> clearance for the washers.

    > > Why are you so concerned about heat? USB external HDD's are meant for
    > > data backup and not to be left on all the time so heat is really a
    > > non-issue.

    > Dead wrong (pun intended).

    Hello, Arno:

    Sorry, disagree. My SimpleTech "SimpleDrive" external hard drive (160GB,
    USB 2.0, 7,200 RPM, 3.5") contains a power switch, on its enclosure.
    Hence, I only leave the disk running, fairly briefy (i.e., long enough
    to back up new files, daily).

    My old Micro Solutions "Backpack" external HDD (30GB, USB 1.1/parallel
    port, 5,400 RPM, 3.5") was a different story, however. It had no
    such switch, and its rotational speed was somewhat slower.

    Besides, unlike the SimpleDrive, the Backpack would automatically spin
    down, if it wasn't accessed within a relatively short period of time.

    (Neither device has ever caused any problems, either.)

    Cordially,
    John Turco

  17. Re: Recommended USB HD kits...??

    Previously John Turco wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    >>
    >> Previously Backspace wrote:

    >> > Why are you so concerned about heat? USB external HDD's are meant for
    >> > data backup and not to be left on all the time so heat is really a
    >> > non-issue.

    >> Dead wrong (pun intended).

    > Hello, Arno:

    > Sorry, disagree. My SimpleTech "SimpleDrive" external hard drive (160GB,
    > USB 2.0, 7,200 RPM, 3.5") contains a power switch, on its enclosure.
    > Hence, I only leave the disk running, fairly briefy (i.e., long enough
    > to back up new files, daily).

    You disagree about my general statement, because specifically you
    do something more sensible?

    > My old Micro Solutions "Backpack" external HDD (30GB, USB 1.1/parallel
    > port, 5,400 RPM, 3.5") was a different story, however. It had no
    > such switch, and its rotational speed was somewhat slower.

    > Besides, unlike the SimpleDrive, the Backpack would automatically spin
    > down, if it wasn't accessed within a relatively short period of time.

    > (Neither device has ever caused any problems, either.)

    Well, a sample of two. That is not the way to evaluate reliability
    of specific ways to operate some thing. No failure => Tells you
    the failure rate is not astronomically high. Failure => Tells you
    nothing.

    Also I have evidence that not all enclosures do automatic spin-down,
    since I happen to have 4 different models and not one of them does
    spin-down. Of course these were all bought without drives, so there
    may be some connection to that.

    Arno

  18. Re: Recommended USB HD kits...??

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:60lv9aF1pornjU2@mid.individual.net
    > Previously John Turco wrote:
    > > Arno Wagner wrote:

    > > > Dead wrong (pun intended).

    > > Hello, Arno:

    > > Sorry, disagree. My SimpleTech "SimpleDrive" external hard drive (160GB,
    > > USB 2.0, 7,200 RPM, 3.5") contains a power switch, on its enclosure.
    > > Hence, I only leave the disk running, fairly briefy (i.e., long enough
    > > to back up new files, daily).

    > You disagree about my general statement, because specifically you
    > do something more sensible?
    >
    > > My old Micro Solutions "Backpack" external HDD (30GB, USB 1.1/parallel
    > > port, 5,400 RPM, 3.5") was a different story, however. It had no
    > > such switch, and its rotational speed was somewhat slower.

    > > Besides, unlike the SimpleDrive, the Backpack would automatically spin
    > > down, if it wasn't accessed within a relatively short period of time.

    > > (Neither device has ever caused any problems, either.)

    > Well, a sample of two. That is not the way to evaluate reliability
    > of specific ways to operate some thing.

    > No failure => Tells you the failure rate is not astronomically high.
    > Failure => Tells you nothing.

    Well, there you have it. In a nutshell.

    > Also I have evidence that not all enclosures do automatic spin-down,

    > since I happen to have 4

    Wow, a sample of 4. So much better than a sample of 2.

    > different models and not one of them does spin-down.

    > Of course these were all bought without drives, so there may be some
    > connection to that.

    There you go, babblebot: no drive to spin down. You nailed it.

    > Arno

  19. Re: Recommended USB HD kits...??

    Folkert Rienstra wrote:

    > Arno Wagner wrote in news:60lv9aF1pornjU2@mid.individual.net
    > > Previously John Turco wrote:
    > > > Arno Wagner wrote:

    > > > Sorry, disagree. My SimpleTech "SimpleDrive" external hard drive (160GB,
    > > > USB 2.0, 7,200 RPM, 3.5") contains a power switch, on its enclosure.
    > > > Hence, I only leave the disk running, fairly briefy (i.e., long enough
    > > > to back up new files, daily).

    > > You disagree about my general statement, because specifically you
    > > do something more sensible?

    Hello, Arno:

    The point is, why does the SimpleDrive feature an on/off switch, in the
    first place? I believe it's to keep it from overheating.

    > > > My old Micro Solutions "Backpack" external HDD (30GB, USB 1.1/parallel
    > > > port, 5,400 RPM, 3.5") was a different story, however. It had no
    > > > such switch, and its rotational speed was somewhat slower.

    > > > Besides, unlike the SimpleDrive, the Backpack would automatically spin
    > > > down, if it wasn't accessed within a relatively short period of time.

    > > > (Neither device has ever caused any problems, either.)

    > > Well, a sample of two. That is not the way to evaluate reliability
    > > of specific ways to operate some thing.

    Just offering an opposing view, nothing more.

    > > No failure => Tells you the failure rate is not astronomically high.
    > > Failure => Tells you nothing.

    Well, I never claimed to have made a scientific study of the issue.

    > Well, there you have it. In a nutshell.
    >

    > > Also I have evidence that not all enclosures do automatic spin-down,

    > > since I happen to have 4

    > Wow, a sample of 4. So much better than a sample of 2.
    >
    > > different models and not one of them does spin-down.

    > > Of course these were all bought without drives, so there may be some
    > > connection to that.

    > There you go, babblebot: no drive to spin down. You nailed it.

    Hello, Folkert:

    I couldn't reply to Arno's post, directly, because it never appeared
    on my news server. (Oddly, the same thing has happened with >all< of
    Timothy Daniels' messages, lately.)

    Cordially,
    John Turco

  20. Re: Recommended USB HD kits...??

    Previously John Turco wrote:
    > Folkert Rienstra wrote:
    >>
    >> Arno Wagner wrote in news:60lv9aF1pornjU2@mid.individual.net

    >> > You disagree about my general statement, because specifically you
    >> > do something more sensible?

    > Hello, Arno:

    > The point is, why does the SimpleDrive feature an on/off switch, in the
    > first place? I believe it's to keep it from overheating.

    Ah, that would make sense. It also is an indicator that coooing
    is inadequate then.

    >> > Well, a sample of two. That is not the way to evaluate reliability
    >> > of specific ways to operate some thing.

    > Just offering an opposing view, nothing more.

    Ok.

    >> > No failure => Tells you the failure rate is not astronomically high.
    >> > Failure => Tells you nothing.

    > Well, I never claimed to have made a scientific study of the issue.

    True. I am just pointing that out. If you aready know that, fine.

    >> Well, there you have it. In a nutshell.
    >>

    >> > Also I have evidence that not all enclosures do automatic spin-down,

    >> > since I happen to have 4

    >> Wow, a sample of 4. So much better than a sample of 2.

    That was not claimed or implied.

    >> > different models and not one of them does spin-down.

    >> > Of course these were all bought without drives, so there may be some
    >> > connection to that.

    >> There you go, babblebot: no drive to spin down. You nailed it.

    Wrong as allways. What I saitd was "there are drives that do not spin
    down". A negative can never be demonstrated with a sample. A positive
    can. But I guess thet is way beyond your mental capabilities....

    > Hello, Folkert:

    > I couldn't reply to Arno's post, directly, because it never appeared
    > on my news server. (Oddly, the same thing has happened with >all< of
    > Timothy Daniels' messages, lately.)

    Strange. Maybe complain to your news-operator, since I post
    via News.Individual.NET, which is pretty large.

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast