Recommended USB HD kits...?? - Storage

This is a discussion on Recommended USB HD kits...?? - Storage ; John Turco wrote in news:47A93A64.74130BAA@concentric.net > Folkert Rienstra wrote: > > Arno Wagner wrote in news:60lv9aF1pornjU2@mid.individual.net > > > Previously John Turco wrote: > > > > Arno Wagner wrote: > > > > > > > Sorry, disagree. My ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: Recommended USB HD kits...??

    John Turco wrote in news:47A93A64.74130BAA@concentric.net
    > Folkert Rienstra wrote:
    > > Arno Wagner wrote in news:60lv9aF1pornjU2@mid.individual.net

    > > > You disagree about my general statement, because specifically you
    > > > do something more sensible?

    > Hello, Arno:
    >
    > The point is, why does the SimpleDrive feature an on/off switch, in the
    > first place? I believe it's to keep it from overheating.

    > > > Well, a sample of two. That is not the way to evaluate reliability
    > > > of specific ways to operate some thing.

    > Just offering an opposing view, nothing more.
    >
    > > > No failure => Tells you the failure rate is not astronomically high.
    > > > Failure => Tells you nothing.

    > Well, I never claimed to have made a scientific study of the issue.
    >
    > > Well, there you have it. In a nutshell.
    > >

    > > > Also I have evidence that not all enclosures do automatic spin-down,

    > > > since I happen to have 4

    > > Wow, a sample of 4. So much better than a sample of 2.
    > >
    > > > different models and not one of them does spin-down.

    > > > Of course these were all bought without drives, so there may be some
    > > > connection to that.

    > > There you go, babblebot: no drive to spin down. You nailed it.

    > Hello, Folkert:
    >
    > I couldn't reply to Arno's post, directly, because it never appeared
    > on my news server.

    That's why my posts have attribution lines with the original message's
    address in it so you can still download it.

    > (Oddly, the same thing has happened with >all< of Timothy Daniels'
    > messages, lately.)

    Some news servers now filter sporger posts.

    > Cordially,
    > John Turco

  2. Re: Recommended USB HD kits...??

    Arno Wagner wrote:

    > Previously John Turco wrote:

    > > I couldn't reply to Arno's post, directly, because it never appeared
    > > on my news server. (Oddly, the same thing has happened with >all< of
    > > Timothy Daniels' messages, lately.)

    > Strange. Maybe complain to your news-operator, since I post
    > via News.Individual.NET, which is pretty large.
    >
    > Arno

    Hello, Arno:

    I've been using Aioe.org (a free NNTP server), for about the past ten
    months or so. My dial-up ISP (Concentric) had canceled its own news
    server, shortly beforehand.

    Cordially,
    John Turco

  3. Re: Recommended USB HD kits...??

    Arno Wagner wrote:

    > Dead wrong (pun intended).
    >
    > a) Why do you assume they are only for backup? There is no evidence to
    > back that assumption up.

    Because that is what Comstar says in the manual themselves. I think they
    know more about it than some Usenet geek.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2