floppy drive problems - Storage

This is a discussion on floppy drive problems - Storage ; A friend of mine is running Windows XP Recently he has had a problem with his floppy drive. he can put a floppy in and read the contents just fine. But that is where the okay status ends. The next ...

  1. floppy drive problems

    A friend of mine is running Windows XP Recently he has had a problem
    with his floppy drive. he can put a floppy in and read the contents just
    fine. But that is where the okay status ends. The next disk that he
    places in will read as the previous disk. any subsequent disk will read
    as the first. The only way that he can get it to read any other disks is
    to restart the computer. What help can I getr to help him with his
    problem?

  2. Re: floppy drive problems

    anniewarbucks wrote:
    > A friend of mine is running Windows XP Recently he has had a problem
    > with his floppy drive. he can put a floppy in and read the contents
    > just fine. But that is where the okay status ends. The next disk that
    > he places in will read as the previous disk. any subsequent disk will
    > read as the first. The only way that he can get it to read any other
    > disks is to restart the computer. What help can I getr to help him
    > with his problem?

    The change signal isnt happening for some reason.

    Thats usually a bad floppy drive, but can be a bad cable or a floppy controller problem.

    Best to change the floppy drive and see if that fixes the problem.
    Then change the ribbon cable if it doesnt.
    If that doesnt fix the problem, give up on floppys.

  3. Re: floppy drive problems

    Previously anniewarbucks wrote:

    > A friend of mine is running Windows XP Recently he has had a problem
    > with his floppy drive. he can put a floppy in and read the contents just
    > fine. But that is where the okay status ends. The next disk that he
    > places in will read as the previous disk. any subsequent disk will read
    > as the first. The only way that he can get it to read any other disks is
    > to restart the computer. What help can I getr to help him with his
    > problem?

    If I remember correctly, disk change detection is done by an optical
    sensor in some drives. If there is enough dust, disk changes
    will not be detected and XP will deliver the data from cache.
    Clean the drive with compressed air or (requires opening) a
    camera lens brush.

    Arno

  4. Re: floppy drive problems

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:49:34 -0600, anniewarbucks
    put finger to keyboard and
    composed:

    >A friend of mine is running Windows XP Recently he has had a problem
    >with his floppy drive. he can put a floppy in and read the contents just
    >fine. But that is where the okay status ends. The next disk that he
    >places in will read as the previous disk. any subsequent disk will read
    >as the first. The only way that he can get it to read any other disks is
    >to restart the computer. What help can I getr to help him with his
    >problem?

    I don't use XP but in Win9x's Explorer one possible workaround is to
    select View -> Refresh.

    - Franc Zabkar

  5. Re: floppy drive problems

    anniewarbucks wrote:

    > A friend of mine is running Windows XP Recently he has had a problem
    > with his floppy drive. he can put a floppy in and read the contents just
    > fine. But that is where the okay status ends. The next disk that he
    > places in will read as the previous disk. any subsequent disk will read
    > as the first. The only way that he can get it to read any other disks is
    > to restart the computer. What help can I getr to help him with his
    > problem?

    This is a well known problem that occurred under certain conditions and settings
    of disk caching. I saw it happen hundreds of times when I worked on copy
    protection schemes, back in the nineties.

    Sometimes, the first track of the floppy inserted into the drive is cashed. The
    cached data consists of the boot sector, FAT and root directory. If the floppy
    is removed and another one is inserted, with its write enable tab in "enable"
    position, then there is a chance that the cached area will be written to the
    newly inserted floppy. Most chances are that the floppies inserted after the
    first one had their system area overwritten and are actually ruined.

    To avoid such mishap, tell your friend to write protect his floppies before
    inserting them for a first read.

    Regards, Zvi
    --
    NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL www.invircible.com
    InVircible Malware Protection, ResQ and Data Recovery

  6. Re: floppy drive problems

    Zvi Netiv wrote in news:j6tgq3h7249edak8mcvfmvtle19qnkifme@4ax.com
    > anniewarbucks wrote:
    >
    > > A friend of mine is running Windows XP Recently he has had a problem
    > > with his floppy drive. he can put a floppy in and read the contents just
    > > fine. But that is where the okay status ends. The next disk that he
    > > places in will read as the previous disk. any subsequent disk will read
    > > as the first. The only way that he can get it to read any other disks is
    > > to restart the computer. What help can I getr to help him with his
    > > problem?

    > This is a well known problem that occurred under certain conditions and
    > settings of disk caching. I saw it happen hundreds of times when I worked on
    > copy protection schemes, back in the nineties.
    >
    > Sometimes, the first track of the floppy inserted into the drive is cashed.
    > The cached data consists of the boot sector, FAT and root directory.

    > If the floppy is removed and another one is inserted, with its
    > write enable tab in "enable" position, then there is a chance that
    > the cached area will be written to the newly inserted floppy.

    Only if the disk change detect switch/line doesn't work.

    > Most chances are that the floppies inserted after the first
    > one had their system area overwritten and are actually ruined.
    >
    > To avoid such mishap, tell your friend to write protect his floppies before
    > inserting them for a first read.
    >
    > Regards, Zvi

  7. Re: floppy drive problems

    "Bud" wrote:

    > Zvi Netiv wrote in news:j6tgq3h7249edak8mcvfmvtle19qnkifme@4ax.com
    > > anniewarbucks wrote:
    > >
    > > > A friend of mine is running Windows XP Recently he has had a problem
    > > > with his floppy drive. he can put a floppy in and read the contents just
    > > > fine. But that is where the okay status ends. The next disk that he
    > > > places in will read as the previous disk. any subsequent disk will read
    > > > as the first. The only way that he can get it to read any other disks is
    > > > to restart the computer. What help can I getr to help him with his
    > > > problem?

    > > This is a well known problem that occurred under certain conditions and
    > > settings of disk caching. I saw it happen hundreds of times when I worked on
    > > copy protection schemes, back in the nineties.
    > >
    > > Sometimes, the first track of the floppy inserted into the drive is cashed.
    > > The cached data consists of the boot sector, FAT and root directory.

    > > If the floppy is removed and another one is inserted, with its
    > > write enable tab in "enable" position, then there is a chance that
    > > the cached area will be written to the newly inserted floppy.

    > Only if the disk change detect switch/line doesn't work.

    Unlikely, for several reasons. First, I must have experimented with quite a few
    machines, many with defective disk change detection if this would have been the
    case. Secondly, even if the disk change detection was in fault, then why should
    the cached track 0 be written to the new floppy? This last observation was
    verified by inspecting the subsequently inserted floppies, write protected this
    time, on a different PC. Overwritten they were.

    My recollection is that I could stop the bizarre behavior by removing SMARTDRV
    from the system configuration files (autoexec, config.sys - we are talking of
    the first half of the nineties, when DOS still ruled), which is what suggested
    that the problem was caused by cache.

    The OP can easily check if cache was the cause here too, by reading his friend
    floppies on a different PC, or even on the same one, but after rebooting. If
    they all show the same root directory content then disk cache is to blame.

    Regards, Zvi

    > > Most chances are that the floppies inserted after the first
    > > one had their system area overwritten and are actually ruined.
    > >
    > > To avoid such mishap, tell your friend to write protect his floppies before
    > > inserting them for a first read.

    --
    NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL www.invircible.com
    InVircible Malware Protection, ResQ and Data Recovery

  8. Re: floppy drive problems

    Zvi Netiv wrote in news21jq359flrh6mshuhs9u6k815gm8hdt2a@4ax.com
    > "Bud" wrote:
    > > Zvi Netiv wrote in news:j6tgq3h7249edak8mcvfmvtle19qnkifme@4ax.com

    > > > This is a well known problem that occurred under certain conditions and
    > > > settings of disk caching. I saw it happen hundreds of times when I
    > > > worked on copy protection schemes, back in the nineties.
    > > >
    > > > Sometimes, the first track of the floppy inserted into the drive is
    > > > cashed. The cached data consists of the boot sector, FAT and root
    > > > directory.

    > > > If the floppy is removed and another one is inserted, with its
    > > > write enable tab in "enable" position, then there is a chance that
    > > > the cached area will be written to the newly inserted floppy.

    > > Only if the disk change detect switch/line doesn't work.

    > Unlikely, for several reasons. First, I must have experimented with quite a
    > few machines, many with defective disk change detection

    It need not necessarily be defective. Not all floppy drives did have that signal.
    Floppy drives were not exactly the most standardized items in those days.

    > if this would have been the case. Secondly, even if the disk change detection
    > was in fault, then why should the cached track 0 be written to the new floppy?

    Because the system isn't aware the disk was changed so the cache isn't invalidated.

    > This last observation was verified by inspecting the subsequently inserted
    > floppies, write protected this time, on a different PC. Overwritten they were.

    Yes, that's not disputed.

    > My recollection is that I could stop the bizarre behavior by removing SMARTDRV
    > from the system configuration files (autoexec, config.sys - we are talking of
    > the first half of the nineties, when DOS still ruled),

    > which is what suggested that the problem was caused by cache.

    That's not disputed either.

    > The OP can easily check if cache was the cause here too, by reading his friend
    > floppies on a different PC, or even on the same one, but after rebooting.

    > If they all show the same root directory content then disk cache is to blame.

    Sure. But not what first caused it.

    > Regards, Zvi
    >
    > > > Most chances are that the floppies inserted after the first
    > > > one had their system area overwritten and are actually ruined.
    > > >
    > > > To avoid such mishap, tell your friend to write protect his floppies
    > > > before inserting them for a first read.

+ Reply to Thread