Software to copy an entire disk to another ? - Storage

This is a discussion on Software to copy an entire disk to another ? - Storage ; Hello ! An hard disk partition table is corrupted and one of its partitions is no longer accessible/visible. Before using a partition recovery tool, I'd like to make a copy of this entire disk - including the areas which are ...

  1. Software to copy an entire disk to another ?

    Hello !

    An hard disk partition table is corrupted and one of its partitions is
    no longer accessible/visible.

    Before using a partition recovery tool, I'd like to make a copy of this
    entire disk - including the areas which are now in "twilight zone".

    Most, if not all, disk imaging/cloning softwares I know will
    image/clone existing partitions - which would obviously exclude the
    unaccessible partition of the corrupted disk.

    Can you recommend a software to make an exact bit-per-bit copy of the
    entire disk ?

    Thanks

    PS: while on the subject, any experience/opinion on partition recovery
    softwares such as Acronis Disk Director or Active@ Partition Recovery ?

  2. Re: Software to copy an entire disk to another ?

    Previously Louis wrote:
    > Hello !

    > An hard disk partition table is corrupted and one of its partitions is
    > no longer accessible/visible.

    > Before using a partition recovery tool, I'd like to make a copy of this
    > entire disk - including the areas which are now in "twilight zone".

    > Most, if not all, disk imaging/cloning softwares I know will
    > image/clone existing partitions - which would obviously exclude the
    > unaccessible partition of the corrupted disk.

    > Can you recommend a software to make an exact bit-per-bit copy of the
    > entire disk ?

    > Thanks

    > PS: while on the subject, any experience/opinion on partition recovery
    > softwares such as Acronis Disk Director or Active@ Partition Recovery ?

    dd_rescue under Linux, e.g. from a Knoppix Linux CD. Similar
    functionality to dd, but you get a progress indicator.
    Comparison for same contents can be done with the standard
    utility "cmp" under Linux, just use the disk device
    special files as input, e.g. "cmp /dev/sda /dev/sdb".

    Arno

  3. Re: Software to copy an entire disk to another ?

    > Before using a partition recovery tool, I'd like to make a copy of this
    > entire disk - including the areas which are now in "twilight zone".

    Under Linux, you could use dd.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.23.13

  4. Re: Software to copy an entire disk to another ?

    Man-wai Chang ToDie wrote:
    >> Before using a partition recovery tool, I'd like to make a copy of
    >> this entire disk - including the areas which are now in "twilight zone".

    > Under Linux, you could use dd.

    And you should copy/dd the entire disk to another disk A, and then
    attempt recovery on disk A rather than original. DO NOT touch/write
    anything to the original (watch out for those automatic stuff).

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.23.13
    ^ ^ 20:52:01 up 4:05 0 users load average: 0.00 0.00 0.00
    ? ? (CSSA):

  5. Re: Software to copy an entire disk to another ?

    On Jan 10, 12:12*pm, Louis wrote:
    > Hello !
    >
    > An hard disk partition table is corrupted and one of its partitions is
    > no longer accessible/visible.
    >
    > Before using a partition recovery tool, I'd like to make a copy of this
    > entire disk - including the areas which are now in "twilight zone".
    >
    > Most, if not all, disk imaging/cloning softwares I know will
    > image/clone existing partitions - which would obviously exclude the
    > unaccessible partition of the corrupted disk.
    >
    > Can you recommend a software to make an exact bit-per-bit copy of the
    > entire disk ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > PS: while on the subject, any experience/opinion on partition recovery
    > softwares such as Acronis Disk Director or Active@ Partition Recovery ?

    I've found Partition Table Doctor works

    Michael

  6. Re: Software to copy an entire disk to another ?

    Man-wai Chang ToDie wrote in news:47861561_1@rain.i-cable.com
    > Man-wai Chang ToDie wrote:
    > > > Before using a partition recovery tool, I'd like to make a copy of
    > > > this entire disk - including the areas which are now in "twilight zone".

    > > Under Linux, you could use dd.
    > >

    > And you should copy/dd the entire disk to another disk A, and then
    > attempt recovery on disk A rather than original. DO NOT touch/write
    > anything to the original (watch out for those automatic stuff).

    Moron.

  7. Re: Software to copy an entire disk to another ?

    Louis wrote:

    >Can you recommend a software to make an exact bit-per-bit copy of the
    >entire disk ?

    I know that WD has software on their Web site for this, if the drives
    are WD. Other manufacturers may provide this utility as well.

  8. Re: Software to copy an entire disk to another ?

    Louis wrote

    > An hard disk partition table is corrupted and one of its partitions is no longer accessible/visible.

    > Before using a partition recovery tool, I'd like to make a copy of this entire disk - including the areas which are
    > now in "twilight zone".

    > Most, if not all, disk imaging/cloning softwares I know will
    > image/clone existing partitions - which would obviously exclude the unaccessible partition of the corrupted disk.

    > Can you recommend a software to make an exact bit-per-bit copy of the entire disk ?

    The most important consideration is whether the drive is dying and thats whats produced
    the problem or whether its purely a software problem thats made that partition invisible.
    The best way to see if the drive is fine is with the Everest SMART report.

    If the drive is fine, you can use any of the major imagers like True Image
    or Ghost and image the entire physical drive at the sector level.

    You can also use forensic cloners like CloneDisk
    http://invircible.com/resq.php

    > PS: while on the subject, any experience/opinion on partition recovery
    > softwares such as Acronis Disk Director or Active@ Partition Recovery ?

    I prefer Easy Recovery Pro myself, but it isnt cheap if you have pay for it.

  9. Re: Software to copy an entire disk to another ?

    On Jan 10, 1:08*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > Louis wrote
    >
    > > An hard disk partition table is corrupted and one of its partitions is no longer accessible/visible.
    > > Before using a partition recovery tool, I'd like to make a copy of this entire disk - including the areas which are
    > > now in "twilight zone".
    > > Most, if not all, disk imaging/cloning softwares I know will
    > > image/clone existing partitions - which would obviously exclude the unaccessible partition of the corrupted disk.
    > > Can you recommend a software to make an exact bit-per-bit copy of the entire disk ?

    > The most important consideration is whether the drive is dying and thats whats produced
    > the problem or whether its purely a software problem thats made that partition invisible.
    > The best way to see if the drive is fine is with the Everest SMART report.http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
    >
    > If the drive is fine, you can use any of the major imagers like True Image
    > or Ghost and image the entire physical drive at the sector level.
    >
    > You can also use forensic cloners like CloneDiskhttp://invircible.com/resq..php
    >
    > > PS: while on the subject, any experience/opinion on partition recovery
    > > softwares such as Acronis Disk Director or Active@ Partition Recovery ?

    > I prefer Easy Recovery Pro myself, but it isnt cheap if you have pay for it.

    The other thing to watch out for, is bad sectors....I have used ghost
    and other proggies and have had some issue with that in the past. I do
    not know if the other version works better or not......

  10. Re: Software to copy an entire disk to another ?

    Thanks for your reply,

    > If the drive is fine, you can use any of the major imagers like True Image
    > or Ghost and image the entire physical drive at the sector level.

    The drive is fine.

    Are you referring to a specific version of Acronis ? I looked at True
    Image Workstation version 8 and True Image Home version 10 and I can't
    find any indication that imaging an entire disk would include the non
    partitionned disk areas.

  11. Re: Software to copy an entire disk to another ?

    Louis wrote:

    > Thanks for your reply,

    >> If the drive is fine, you can use any of the major imagers like True
    >> Image or Ghost and image the entire physical drive at the sector level.

    > The drive is fine.

    How did you decide that ? You cant just go on the OKs in the Everest SMART report.

    > Are you referring to a specific version of Acronis ?

    Yeah, sorry, that showed up with 11 from memory.

    > I looked at True Image Workstation version 8 and True Image Home version 10 and I can't find any indication that
    > imaging an entire disk would include the non partitionned disk areas.

    Its a tick box with disk and partition backups with 11.

  12. Re: Software to copy an entire disk to another ?

    Thanks to all who replied..

    I'm currently cloning the disk (with "dd" - quite long !), and as soon
    as I'll get a working image, I'll feel safer to experiment other
    proposed solutions to clone the disk and repair the partition table.

    Louis

  13. Re: Software to copy an entire disk to another ?

    Previously Man-wai Chang ToDie wrote:
    > Man-wai Chang ToDie wrote:
    >>> Before using a partition recovery tool, I'd like to make a copy of
    >>> this entire disk - including the areas which are now in "twilight zone".

    >> Under Linux, you could use dd.
    >>

    > And you should copy/dd the entire disk to another disk A, and then
    > attempt recovery on disk A rather than original. DO NOT touch/write
    > anything to the original (watch out for those automatic stuff).

    Exactly. If you are very careful, you make a second copy as well, that
    you do not touch.

    Arno

    > --
    > @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    > / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you!
    > /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.23.13
    > ^ ^ 20:52:01 up 4:05 0 users load average: 0.00 0.00 0.00
    > ? ? (CSSA):
    > http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_...ub_addressesa/

  14. Re: Software to copy an entire disk to another ?

    Previously amj rescue repair co 01@gmail.com wrote:
    [...]
    > The other thing to watch out for, is bad sectors....I have used ghost
    > and other proggies and have had some issue with that in the past. I do
    > not know if the other version works better or not......

    That is one of the reasons why I recommend dd_rescue indstead of
    dd. dd_rescue can deal with defect sectors, as this was its design
    motivation.

    Arno

  15. Re: Software to copy an entire disk to another ?

    > Moron.

    ??? Wanna OT?

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.23.13
    ^ ^ 15:06:01 up 22:19 0 users load average: 0.00 0.06 0.03
    ? ? (CSSA):

  16. Re: Software to copy an entire disk to another ?

    > I'm currently cloning the disk (with "dd" - quite long !), and as soon
    > as I'll get a working image, I'll feel safer to experiment other
    > proposed solutions to clone the disk and repair the partition table.

    Just don't touch the original disk at this point of time. Use the clones
    to attempt recovery. Hard disks are cheap these days.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.23.13
    ^ ^ 15:06:01 up 22:19 0 users load average: 0.00 0.06 0.03
    ? ? (CSSA):

  17. Re: Software to copy an entire disk to another ?

    Rod Speed a utilisé son clavier pour écrire :
    > Louis wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for your reply,

    >>> If the drive is fine, you can use any of the major imagers like True
    >>> Image or Ghost and image the entire physical drive at the sector level.

    >> Are you referring to a specific version of Acronis ?

    > Yeah, sorry, that showed up with 11 from memory.
    >
    >> I looked at True Image Workstation version 8 and True Image Home version 10
    >> and I can't find any indication that imaging an entire disk would include
    >> the non partitionned disk areas.

    > Its a tick box with disk and partition backups with 11.

    My understanding is that it will image the unused parts of an existing
    partition, not the unpartitioned parts of a disk..

    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...sector-backup/

    Is this the same with Ghost ?

  18. Re: Software to copy an entire disk to another ?

    Louis wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote

    >>> Are you referring to a specific version of Acronis ?

    >> Yeah, sorry, that showed up with 11 from memory.

    >>> I looked at True Image Workstation version 8 and True Image Home version 10 and I can't find any indication that
    >>> imaging an entire disk would include the non partitionned disk areas.

    >> Its a tick box with disk and partition backups with 11.

    > My understanding is that it will image the unused parts of an existing partition, not the unpartitioned parts of a
    > disk..

    Not when you are imaging an entire physical drive, as I originally said.

    > http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...sector-backup/

    > Is this the same with Ghost ?

    Yes, if you do a sector by sector op, the 'free' sectors are copied with both.

+ Reply to Thread