RAID10 or RAID01 confusion/performance on a 2003 server boxquestions? Virtual servers on it too.. - Storage

This is a discussion on RAID10 or RAID01 confusion/performance on a 2003 server boxquestions? Virtual servers on it too.. - Storage ; I'm still trying to finalize my configuration on our new server.. at this point it will house sql 2005 for great plains dynamics.. for about 10 simulaneous users.. It also houses a bunch of system center apps and 250gb file ...

  1. RAID10 or RAID01 confusion/performance on a 2003 server boxquestions? Virtual servers on it too..

    I'm still trying to finalize my configuration on our new server.. at
    this point it will house sql 2005 for great plains dynamics.. for
    about 10 simulaneous users..

    It also houses a bunch of system center apps and 250gb file serving
    for 40 users..

    I'm going with the typical RAID5 data stripe mainly for great plains
    and the file serving.. but figured on adding another array for virtual
    servers (and/or splitting virtual servers among the two arrays)..
    while the OS is on its own RAID1 array.

    Any thoughts on RAID01 vs RAID10.. still confused on the two and which
    is faster.. dont they both require the same # of drives.. ? At this
    point it looks like RAID5 for virtual servers is out.. due to cpu
    usage, though this box has dual quad core xeon 2.33 processors and 8gb
    ram.. I figure i will put at most.. 5 virtual servers on here in
    addition, mostly system center and live communication server roles per
    VS (and one antivirus role as well).

  2. Re: RAID10 or RAID01 confusion/performance on a 2003 server boxquestions? Virtual servers on it too..

    On Dec 5, 1:52 pm, markm75 wrote:
    > I'm still trying to finalize my configuration on our new server.. at
    > this point it will house sql 2005 for great plains dynamics.. for
    > about 10 simulaneous users..
    >
    > It also houses a bunch of system center apps and 250gb file serving
    > for 40 users..
    >
    > I'm going with the typical RAID5 data stripe mainly for great plains
    > and the file serving.. but figured on adding another array for virtual
    > servers (and/or splitting virtual servers among the two arrays)..
    > while the OS is on its own RAID1 array.
    >
    > Any thoughts on RAID01 vs RAID10.. still confused on the two and which
    > is faster.. dont they both require the same # of drives.. ? At this
    > point it looks like RAID5 for virtual servers is out.. due to cpu
    > usage, though this box has dual quad core xeon 2.33 processors and 8gb
    > ram.. I figure i will put at most.. 5 virtual servers on here in
    > addition, mostly system center and live communication server roles per
    > VS (and one antivirus role as well).

    Also.. if i have 4 x 200gb drives in raid10 or raid01.. this is
    actually 400gb in array size is it not?

    Cheers

+ Reply to Thread