Lacie Biggest Quadra RAID: accepts other brands? - Storage

This is a discussion on Lacie Biggest Quadra RAID: accepts other brands? - Storage ; Hi there, we are thinking about purchasing the Lacie Biggest Quadra RAID enclosure http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10950 Unfortunately in the manual it is written that replacing the hard drives with third party drives voids the warranty. This is a pity but we can ...

  1. Lacie Biggest Quadra RAID: accepts other brands?

    Hi there,
    we are thinking about purchasing the Lacie Biggest Quadra RAID enclosure
    http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10950

    Unfortunately in the manual it is written that replacing the hard drives
    with third party drives voids the warranty.

    This is a pity but we can stand that, as long as the unit actually
    RECOGNIZES third party drives! (standard 3.5" SATA drives...)
    Lacie of course doesn't mention this...

    We need to know this answer because the replacement drives that Lacie
    sells are WAY too expensive. We wouldn't buy the unit if other brands
    are not supported.

    Anybody knows the answer?

    Or anybody can suggest a similar object hosting at least 4 drives with
    raid-5 which is RELIABLE, can be configured MANUALLY with precision
    (i.e. does not try to reformat the array by itself if you change the
    drives, etc...), and supports drives of any brand?

    Thank you

  2. Re: Lacie Biggest Quadra RAID: accepts other brands?

    Previously lamman wrote:
    > Hi there,
    > we are thinking about purchasing the Lacie Biggest Quadra RAID enclosure
    > http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10950

    > Unfortunately in the manual it is written that replacing the hard drives
    > with third party drives voids the warranty.

    > This is a pity but we can stand that, as long as the unit actually
    > RECOGNIZES third party drives! (standard 3.5" SATA drives...)
    > Lacie of course doesn't mention this...

    > We need to know this answer because the replacement drives that Lacie
    > sells are WAY too expensive. We wouldn't buy the unit if other brands
    > are not supported.

    > Anybody knows the answer?

    > Or anybody can suggest a similar object hosting at least 4 drives with
    > raid-5 which is RELIABLE, can be configured MANUALLY with precision
    > (i.e. does not try to reformat the array by itself if you change the
    > drives, etc...), and supports drives of any brand?

    What about using a 4x SATA enclosure with a multilane cable and
    a matching RAID controller for the PC? 3ware makes good
    RAID controllers, e.g..

    Arno

  3. Re: Lacie Biggest Quadra RAID: accepts other brands?

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > What about using a 4x SATA enclosure with a multilane cable and
    > a matching RAID controller for the PC? 3ware makes good
    > RAID controllers, e.g..

    Sorry no it should be USB because it should be easily moveable between
    computers. Thanks

+ Reply to Thread