Need to create a CDFS partition on a USB key - Storage

This is a discussion on Need to create a CDFS partition on a USB key - Storage ; I need to find a way to create a partition on a usb key in CDFS instead of FAT32. Does anyone know a way?! The reason is so that I can put an autorun file in the CDFS partition that ...

  1. Need to create a CDFS partition on a USB key

    I need to find a way to create a partition on a usb key in CDFS
    instead of FAT32. Does anyone know a way?!

    The reason is so that I can put an autorun file in the CDFS partition
    that fires up when you insert the usb key.

    There's already a company called U3 that make usb key's that do this,
    but I need to find a way to do this ourselves - it's proving quite
    tricky!

    I thought there might be some partition software that can do this?
    Windows will only let you format USB key partitions as FAT32.

    Any help or advice would be really appreciated. Thanks guys

    Paul

  2. Re: Need to create a CDFS partition on a USB key

    turnerpaul@gmail.com added these comments in the current
    discussion du jour ...

    > I need to find a way to create a partition on a usb key in
    > CDFS instead of FAT32. Does anyone know a way?!

    What is CDFS? I thought the only two choices, or at least the
    main choices, were FAT32 and NTFS. Or, are you running Linux or
    something other than standards Windows?

    > The reason is so that I can put an autorun file in the CDFS
    > partition that fires up when you insert the usb key.
    >
    > There's already a company called U3 that make usb key's that
    > do this, but I need to find a way to do this ourselves - it's
    > proving quite tricky!
    >
    > I thought there might be some partition software that can do
    > this? Windows will only let you format USB key partitions as
    > FAT32.

    Hmmm. My only choice for native Win XP Pro SP2 is NTFS. If I want
    FAT32 I need a 3rd party utlility such as Partition Magic.

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

  3. Re: Need to create a CDFS partition on a USB key

    In article @b36g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>, turnerpaul@gmail.com says...
    > I need to find a way to create a partition on a usb key in CDFS
    > instead of FAT32. Does anyone know a way?!
    >
    > The reason is so that I can put an autorun file in the CDFS partition
    > that fires up when you insert the usb key.
    >
    > There's already a company called U3 that make usb key's that do this,
    > but I need to find a way to do this ourselves - it's proving quite
    > tricky!
    >
    > I thought there might be some partition software that can do this?
    > Windows will only let you format USB key partitions as FAT32.
    >
    > Any help or advice would be really appreciated. Thanks guys
    >
    > Paul

    You don't need to format it as CDFS to do this. Just stick the
    autorun.inf file in the root of the key.

    --
    Conor

    I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

  4. Re: Need to create a CDFS partition on a USB key

    > You don't need to format it as CDFS to do this. Just stick the
    > autorun.inf file in the root of the key.

    Great idea but I'm afraid it's not as easy as that! XP won't autorun
    from usb sticks. However I think Vista does.

  5. Re: Need to create a CDFS partition on a USB key

    turnerpaul@gmail.com wrote:

    > I need to find a way to create a partition on a usb key in CDFS
    > instead of FAT32. Does anyone know a way?!
    >
    > The reason is so that I can put an autorun file in the CDFS partition
    > that fires up when you insert the usb key.
    >
    > There's already a company called U3 that make usb key's that do this,
    > but I need to find a way to do this ourselves - it's proving quite
    > tricky!
    >
    > I thought there might be some partition software that can do this?
    > Windows will only let you format USB key partitions as FAT32.
    >
    > Any help or advice would be really appreciated. Thanks guys
    >
    > Paul

    There are partition managers that do a wide range of formats, such
    as Partition Logic, but whether that does cdfs I dont know.

    Win will run an autorun file on the drive regardless of filesystem,
    just set your win settings to auto insert notification on if its not
    already.

    NT

  6. Re: Need to create a CDFS partition on a USB key

    > There are partition managers that do a wide range of formats, such
    > as Partition Logic, but whether that does cdfs I dont know.

    No I'm afraid it doesn't.

    > Win will run an autorun file on the drive regardless of filesystem,
    > just set your win settings to auto insert notification on if its not
    > already.

    I need it to work in xp without changing xp settings.

  7. Re: Need to create a CDFS partition on a USB key

    Paul wrote:

    > > There are partition managers that do a wide range of formats, such
    > > as Partition Logic, but whether that does cdfs I dont know.

    > No I'm afraid it doesn't.
    >
    > > Win will run an autorun file on the drive regardless of filesystem,
    > > just set your win settings to auto insert notification on if its not
    > > already.

    > I need it to work in xp without changing xp settings.

    Autoinsert notification is on by default in xp, so if its off it been
    set
    like that deliberately. AFAIK theres no way to autorun files when
    auto-insert-notify is off. Thank god.

    NT

  8. Re: Need to create a CDFS partition on a USB key

    "Paul" wrote in message

    >> You don't need to format it as CDFS to do this. Just stick the
    >> autorun.inf file in the root of the key.

    > Great idea but I'm afraid it's not as easy as that! XP won't autorun
    > from usb sticks. However I think Vista does.

    XP most certainly does autorun from USB sticks. It is possible that the
    autorun is disabled for the drive letter that your stick occupies. TweakUI
    in the Power toys collection from Microsoft (Google 'TweakUI') allows
    individual control of what can autorun.

    Be aware that there is malware about that exploits the autorun feature.

  9. Re: Need to create a CDFS partition on a USB key

    "HEMI-Powered" wrote in message
    > turnerpaul@gmail.com added these comments in the current
    > discussion du jour ...
    >
    >> I need to find a way to create a partition on a usb key in
    >> CDFS instead of FAT32. Does anyone know a way?!

    > What is CDFS? I thought the only two choices, or at least the
    > main choices, were FAT32 and NTFS. Or, are you running Linux or
    > something other than standards Windows?

    CDFS stands for Compact Disk Filing System and is the normal file format
    used for CD-ROM disks. It can also be used for DVD-ROM disks but drives
    vary in their ability to read it. UDF (Unified Disc Format) is prefered for
    DVD.

  10. Re: Need to create a CDFS partition on a USB key

    > XP most certainly does autorun from USB sticks.

    Not by default though. You have to enable it.

  11. Re: Need to create a CDFS partition on a USB key

    "Paul" wrote in message
    >> XP most certainly does autorun from USB sticks.

    > Not by default though. You have to enable it.

    It's enabled by default on all drive letters except A: and B: and it can be
    enabled on those (but not through tweakUI). You have to disable it.

  12. Re: Need to create a CDFS partition on a USB key

    > It's enabled by default on all drive letters except A: and B:

    Sort of. Although by default USB memory keys do not autorun when
    inserted. At least not on XP SP2.

  13. Re: Need to create a CDFS partition on a USB key

    "Paul" wrote in message
    >> It's enabled by default on all drive letters except A: and B:

    > Sort of. Although by default USB memory keys do not autorun when
    > inserted. At least not on XP SP2.

    They do on mine - and I have never changed it (as I have had no need). I
    discovered that it worked when I copied a CD onto a USB stick and copied the
    autorun file as well.

  14. Re: Need to create a CDFS partition on a USB key

    Check out this page: http://www.squidoo.com/usbcd

    I don't know if it works for linux but it might be worth a shot.

  15. Re: Need to create a CDFS partition on a USB key

    Quote Originally Posted by fixUnitUser View Post
    Check out this page: http://www.squidoo.com/usbcd

    I don't know if it works for linux but it might be worth a shot.
    Thanks for providing such important resource. This material is quite informative.

+ Reply to Thread