External RAID Enclosure Options - Storage

This is a discussion on External RAID Enclosure Options - Storage ; DiFFeReNT wrote in news:cc6263e5-101e-4e9c-9942-b26b246792f8@f13g2000hsa.googlegroups.com > On Nov 17, 3:39 am, Arno Wagner wrote: > > Previously DiFFeReNT wrote: > > > I'm considering buying an 8-bay external enclosure, which has two > > > eSATA multi lane ports on the ...

  1. Re: External RAID Enclosure Options

    DiFFeReNT wrote in news:cc6263e5-101e-4e9c-9942-b26b246792f8@f13g2000hsa.googlegroups.com
    > On Nov 17, 3:39 am, Arno Wagner wrote:
    > > Previously DiFFeReNT wrote:
    > > > I'm considering buying an 8-bay external enclosure, which has two
    > > > eSATA multi lane ports on the back.
    > > > However, I don't if it's possible to RAID the drives they way I want to.
    > > > I want to have a custom setup where, for example, the first two drives
    > > > are spanned as one "drive", the next three are spanned as one "drive"
    > > > and the next three the same.
    > > > Is it possible to do something like that?

    > > > (I'm pretty sure my controller is capable of all raid types).

    Is that a fact.

    > > > Thanks in advance.

    > > That depends entrierly on your controller and has no connection
    > > to where the disks are....
    > >
    > > Arno

    > I figured the fact that the enclosure uses port multipliers

    What fact. Do you even know what that word means.

    > could affect it, since 8 drives would be narrowed down to 2 cables,

    2 multilane cables, not 2 cables.

    > but I guess not.

    Better stop guessing.

    > Thanks

  2. External RAID Enclosure Options

    I'm considering buying an 8-bay external enclosure, which has two
    eSATA multi lane ports on the back.
    However, I don't if it's possible to RAID the drives they way I want
    to.

    I want to have a custom setup where, for example, the first two drives
    are spanned as one "drive", the next three are spanned as one "drive"
    and the next three the same.

    Is it possible to do something like that? (I'm pretty sure my
    controller is capable of all raid types).

    Thanks in advance.

  3. Re: External RAID Enclosure Options

    Previously DiFFeReNT wrote:
    > I'm considering buying an 8-bay external enclosure, which has two
    > eSATA multi lane ports on the back.
    > However, I don't if it's possible to RAID the drives they way I want
    > to.

    > I want to have a custom setup where, for example, the first two drives
    > are spanned as one "drive", the next three are spanned as one "drive"
    > and the next three the same.

    > Is it possible to do something like that? (I'm pretty sure my
    > controller is capable of all raid types).

    > Thanks in advance.

    That depends entrierly on your controller and has no connection
    to where the disks are....

    Arno

  4. Re: External RAID Enclosure Options

    On Nov 17, 3:39 am, Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously DiFFeReNT wrote:
    > > I'm considering buying an 8-bay external enclosure, which has two
    > > eSATA multi lane ports on the back.
    > > However, I don't if it's possible to RAID the drives they way I want
    > > to.
    > > I want to have a custom setup where, for example, the first two drives
    > > are spanned as one "drive", the next three are spanned as one "drive"
    > > and the next three the same.
    > > Is it possible to do something like that? (I'm pretty sure my
    > > controller is capable of all raid types).
    > > Thanks in advance.

    > That depends entrierly on your controller and has no connection
    > to where the disks are....
    >
    > Arno

    I figured the fact that the enclosure uses port multipliers could
    affect it, since 8 drives would be narrowed down to 2 cables, but I
    guess not.
    Thanks

  5. Re: External RAID Enclosure Options

    Previously DiFFeReNT wrote:
    > On Nov 17, 3:39 am, Arno Wagner wrote:
    >> Previously DiFFeReNT wrote:
    >> > I'm considering buying an 8-bay external enclosure, which has two
    >> > eSATA multi lane ports on the back.
    >> > However, I don't if it's possible to RAID the drives they way I want
    >> > to.
    >> > I want to have a custom setup where, for example, the first two drives
    >> > are spanned as one "drive", the next three are spanned as one "drive"
    >> > and the next three the same.
    >> > Is it possible to do something like that? (I'm pretty sure my
    >> > controller is capable of all raid types).
    >> > Thanks in advance.

    >> That depends entrierly on your controller and has no connection
    >> to where the disks are....
    >>
    >> Arno

    > I figured the fact that the enclosure uses port multipliers could
    > affect it, since 8 drives would be narrowed down to 2 cables, but I
    > guess not.

    If your controller works with port-multipliers at all, then it will
    ddo RAID as well. But multilane is not poert-multiplier. Multilane
    is 4 SATA cables in one. Logically and elecrically the same as
    4 cables, but prettier and easier to handle.

    Arno

  6. Re: External RAID Enclosure Options

    On Nov 17, 11:19 pm, Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously DiFFeReNT wrote:

    > >> That depends entrierly on your controller and has no connection
    > >> to where the disks are....

    > >> Arno

    > > I figured the fact that the enclosure uses port multipliers could
    > > affect it, since 8 drives would be narrowed down to 2 cables, but I
    > > guess not.

    > If your controller works with port-multipliers at all, then it will
    > ddo RAID as well. But multilane is not poert-multiplier. Multilane
    > is 4 SATA cables in one. Logically and elecrically the same as
    > 4 cables, but prettier and easier to handle.
    >
    > Arno

    Oops, yeah I seem to have clicked on the identical-looking PM version
    on my last visit.
    (way too much stuff on one page: http://www.cooldrives.com/sataenclosures.html
    )
    Multilane is also faster, but unfortunately most of the controller
    cards that support it are PCI-X or PCI, with rare occurrences of PCI-e
    (usually very expensive or only 1x cards).
    So turns out I have to go with PM anyways. I didn't want to use my
    controller card to RAID, because that method shares some of the same
    downfalls as a software RAID, like portability.

    Thanks a lot for your help.

  7. Re: External RAID Enclosure Options

    @ Folkert Rienstra
    >> I figured the fact that the enclosure uses port multipliers

    >What fact. Do you even know what that word means.
    >Better stop guessing.

    Wow, you could sure use a short course on courtesy.
    Google Groups is for people seeking help, and generous people who take
    the time to help provide a solution.
    I try to utilize this wonderful medium, the same way you've done at
    one time or another, and you provide no useful insight - but instead
    an insult without merit.
    Or then again, maybe since you're a "smart" Slashdot kind of nerd, you
    didn't understand what I said, because you don't understand proper
    grammar.

    That last shot may have been uncalled for, but it felt good and it was
    funny; you know those Slashdot people...

    Thanks again to everyone who gave their input...

  8. Re: External RAID Enclosure Options

    DiFFeReNT wrote:
    > @ Folkert Rienstra
    >>> I figured the fact that the enclosure uses port multipliers

    >> What fact. Do you even know what that word means.
    >> Better stop guessing.

    > Wow, you could sure use a short course on courtesy.

    He'd need the long one, repeated endlessly.

    > Google Groups is for people seeking help, and generous
    > people who take the time to help provide a solution.

    Best have your asbestos undies on when he reads that bit |-(

    > I try to utilize this wonderful medium, the same way
    > you've done at one time or another, and you provide
    > no useful insight - but instead an insult without merit.

    Bet that will make him curl up and die for sure |-)

    > Or then again, maybe since you're a "smart" Slashdot kind of nerd, you didn't
    > understand what I said, because you don't understand proper grammar.

    He's a crusty old pseudokraut, english isnt his first language.

    > That last shot may have been uncalled for,

    And is just a tad hypocritical...

    > but it felt good and it was funny;

    Bet he wont be laughing.

    > you know those Slashdot people...

    Those arent people...

    > Thanks again to everyone who gave their input...

  9. Re: External RAID Enclosure Options

    Thanks Roddles.
    No better way to show off a troll than another one siding with it.

    Rod Speed wrote in news:5rp1t3F15am03U1@mid.individual.net
    > DiFFeReNT wrote:
    > > @ Folkert Rienstra
    > > > What fact. Do you even know what that word means.
    > > > Better stop guessing.

    > > Wow, you could sure use a short course on courtesy.

    > He'd need the long one, repeated endlessly.
    >
    > > Google Groups is for people seeking help, and generous
    > > people who take the time to help provide a solution.

    > Best have your asbestos undies on when he reads that bit |-(
    >
    > > I try to utilize this wonderful medium, the same way
    > > you've done at one time or another, and you provide
    > > no useful insight - but instead an insult without merit.

    > Bet that will make him curl up and die for sure |-)
    >
    > > Or then again, maybe since you're a "smart" Slashdot kind of nerd, you
    > > didn't understand what I said, because you don't understand proper grammar.

    > He's a crusty old pseudokraut, english isnt his first language.
    >
    > > That last shot may have been uncalled for,

    > And is just a tad hypocritical...
    >
    > > but it felt good and it was funny;

    > Bet he wont be laughing.
    >
    > > you know those Slashdot people...

    > Those arent people...
    >
    > > Thanks again to everyone who gave their input...

  10. Re: External RAID Enclosure Options

    DiFFeReNT wrote in news:375f8d20-e657-4ac8-ada2-54b005febe52@f3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com
    > On Nov 17, 11:19 pm, Arno Wagner wrote:
    > > Previously DiFFeReNT wrote:

    > > > I figured the fact that the enclosure uses port multipliers could
    > > > affect it, since 8 drives would be narrowed down to 2 cables, but I
    > > > guess not.

    > > If your controller works with port-multipliers at all, then it will
    > > ddo RAID as well. But multilane is not poert-multiplier. Multilane
    > > is 4 SATA cables in one. Logically and elecrically the same as
    > > 4 cables, but prettier and easier to handle.
    > >
    > > Arno

    > Oops, yeah I seem to have clicked on the identical-looking PM version
    > on my last visit.

    More deliberately vague bull**** by the little troll.
    Neither of the identical looking 8-drive cabinets on that page use port multipliers.
    One uses 2 multilane connectors, the other 8 seperate esata connectors.

    > (way too much stuff on one page: http://www.cooldrives.com/sataenclosures.html)

    > Multilane is also faster,

    Oh it is, is it?

    > but unfortunately most of the controller cards that support it

    Multilane is a connector, no support at all needed but the proper retrofit
    bulkhead connector set. Which is basically the same as used in the cabinets.

    > are PCI-X or PCI, with rare occurrences of

    > PCI-e (usually very expensive or only 1x cards).

    Like PCI-X aren't.

    > So turns out I have to go with PM anyways.

    Whatever you think that is.

    > I didn't want to use my controller card to RAID, because that method
    > shares some of the same> downfalls as a software RAID, like portability.

    Right, you just brought that up to add more confusion.

    > Thanks a lot for your help.

+ Reply to Thread