Hello the newsgroup!

I've been tinkering with iSCSI targets to move some of our tape drives
closer to staff (without having to move the backup server itself out of the
server room), but as yet I have not have much success getting Windows to
recognise the devices.

I have the portal configured in the initiator itself and it's listing the
targets and will allow me to log on and do a persistent log-on, however it's
not presenting to PnP.

I have tried using the following commands to add the devices and have them
recognised, and the persistent entries appear as expected, but it still isn't
presented to PnP (I am assuming not: they don't appear in device manager).

iscsicli logintarget iqn.2005.example.com:storage.sequential.nst0 T * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * * 0
iscsicli PersistentLoginTarget iqn.2005.example.com:storage.sequential.nst0
T * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 0

The server running the initiator is Windows 2003 R2 x64. The target is set
up as a raw IO mode device. Do I have to create device nodes or something for
the targets to bind to? I thought the PnP option was supposed to do that. Am
I missing something? Is there anything I should know about diagnosing this?

Here’s what diagnostics I did manage to achieve:

>iscsicli ListTargetPortals

Microsoft iSCSI Initiator version 2.0 Build 3392

Total of 1 portals are persisted:

Address and Socket : ssydfs00 3260
Symbolic Name :
Initiator Name :
Port Number :
Security Flags : 0x0
Version : 0
Information Specified: 0x0
Login Flags : 0x0

The operation completed successfully.

>iscsicli ListTargets

Microsoft iSCSI Initiator version 2.0 Build 3392

Targets List:
iqn.2005.example.com:storage.sequential.nts1
iqn.2005.example.com:storage.sequential.nst0
The operation completed successfully.

>iscsicli TargetInfo iqn.2005.example.com:storage.sequential.nst0

Microsoft iSCSI Initiator version 2.0 Build 3392

Get Target information for iqn.2005.example.com:storage.sequential.nst0
discovered by
Discovery Mechanisms :
"SendTargets:*ssydfs00 0003260 Root\SCSIADAPTER\0000_0 "

The operation completed successfully.

>iscsicli ReportTargetMappings

Microsoft iSCSI Initiator version 2.0 Build 3392

Total of 1 mappings returned
Session Id : fffffadfe71c7468-400001370000001b
Target Name : iqn.2005.example.com:storage.sequential.nst0
Initiator : Root\SCSIADAPTER\0000_0
Initiator Scsi Device : \\.\Scsi6:
Initiator Bus : 0
Initiator Target Id : 0