Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id? - Storage

This is a discussion on Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id? - Storage ; I don't mind calling Microsoft at 1-888-571-2048, but, where do I get my WIndows XP 50-digit installation ID? After my kid's hard disk crashed I put a spare disk, which was long lying around, in the computer. Up popped "Activate ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

  1. Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

    I don't mind calling Microsoft at 1-888-571-2048, but, where do I get my
    WIndows XP 50-digit installation ID?

    After my kid's hard disk crashed I put a spare disk, which was long lying
    around, in the computer. Up popped "Activate Windows" which hangs forever
    with the laptop on my desk not hooked to anything but power.

    Googling, I find this is the Windows XP activation process:
    - Start with a unique 25-character product key on the CDROM case
    - This creates a 20-digit product id
    - A hardware hash is created from 10 hardware items
    - The hardware hash + product key combine to a 50-digit installation ID
    - You give that 50-digit installation ID to Microsoft (1-888-571-2048)
    - Start -> Run -> oobe/msoobe /a
    - This modifies the two files wpa.dbl & wpa.bak (save them for future use)
    - C:\windows\system32\wpa.dbl & c:\windows\system32\wpa.bak
    - In the future, press F8 to boot to safe mode = minimal
    - And just copy those files back onto the newly formatted hard disk

    When I run "Start -> Run -> oobe/msoobe /a" on my second laptop, it says:
    "Windows is already activated. Click OK to exit"

    However, my kid's laptop with the spare hard drive in it, won't boot.
    It's stuck at the "Activate Windows" screen with nothing to press or hit
    except the red x to close the window.

    I don't mind calling Microsoft at 1-888-571-2048, but, where do I get my
    Windows XP 50-digit installation ID?

  2. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

    On Nov 4, 8:55 am, Erica Eshoo wrote:
    > I don't mind calling Microsoft at 1-888-571-2048, but, where do I get my
    > WIndows XP 50-digit installation ID?
    >
    > After my kid's hard disk crashed I put a spare disk, which was long lying
    > around, in the computer. Up popped "Activate Windows" which hangs forever
    > with the laptop on my desk not hooked to anything but power.
    >
    > Googling, I find this is the Windows XP activation process:
    > - Start with a unique 25-character product key on the CDROM case
    > - This creates a 20-digit product id
    > - A hardware hash is created from 10 hardware items
    > - The hardware hash + product key combine to a 50-digit installation ID
    > - You give that 50-digit installation ID to Microsoft (1-888-571-2048)
    > - Start -> Run -> oobe/msoobe /a
    > - This modifies the two files wpa.dbl & wpa.bak (save them for future use)
    > - C:\windows\system32\wpa.dbl & c:\windows\system32\wpa.bak
    > - In the future, press F8 to boot to safe mode = minimal
    > - And just copy those files back onto the newly formatted hard disk
    >
    > When I run "Start -> Run -> oobe/msoobe /a" on my second laptop, it says:
    > "Windows is already activated. Click OK to exit"
    >
    > However, my kid's laptop with the spare hard drive in it, won't boot.
    > It's stuck at the "Activate Windows" screen with nothing to press or hit
    > except the red x to close the window.
    >
    > I don't mind calling Microsoft at 1-888-571-2048, but, where do I get my
    > Windows XP 50-digit installation ID?

    I thought you just needed 25 character string, on the CD or the
    holigraphic label on the laptop/PC case.

    It is normally asked for whem one does a complete initial install, or
    first start of Laptop

    Michael

    Michael

  3. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installationid?

    mscotgrove@aol.com wrote:
    > On Nov 4, 8:55 am, Erica Eshoo wrote:
    >> I don't mind calling Microsoft at 1-888-571-2048, but, where do I get my
    >> WIndows XP 50-digit installation ID?
    >>
    >> After my kid's hard disk crashed I put a spare disk, which was long lying
    >> around, in the computer. Up popped "Activate Windows" which hangs forever
    >> with the laptop on my desk not hooked to anything but power.
    >>
    >> Googling, I find this is the Windows XP activation process:
    >> - Start with a unique 25-character product key on the CDROM case
    >> - This creates a 20-digit product id
    >> - A hardware hash is created from 10 hardware items
    >> - The hardware hash + product key combine to a 50-digit installation ID
    >> - You give that 50-digit installation ID to Microsoft (1-888-571-2048)
    >> - Start -> Run -> oobe/msoobe /a
    >> - This modifies the two files wpa.dbl & wpa.bak (save them for future use)
    >> - C:\windows\system32\wpa.dbl & c:\windows\system32\wpa.bak
    >> - In the future, press F8 to boot to safe mode = minimal
    >> - And just copy those files back onto the newly formatted hard disk
    >>
    >> When I run "Start -> Run -> oobe/msoobe /a" on my second laptop, it says:
    >> "Windows is already activated. Click OK to exit"
    >>
    >> However, my kid's laptop with the spare hard drive in it, won't boot.
    >> It's stuck at the "Activate Windows" screen with nothing to press or hit
    >> except the red x to close the window.
    >>
    >> I don't mind calling Microsoft at 1-888-571-2048, but, where do I get my
    >> Windows XP 50-digit installation ID?

    > I thought you just needed 25 character string, on the CD or the
    > holigraphic label on the laptop/PC case.
    >
    > It is normally asked for whem one does a complete initial install, or
    > first start of Laptop
    >
    > Michael
    >
    > Michael

    It also asks if you change motherboard, hard drive or network card.
    Lee

  4. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

    On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 06:11:08 -0500, Lee wrote:
    >> I thought you just needed 25 character string, on the CD or the
    >> holigraphic label on the laptop/PC case.
    >> It is normally asked for whem one does a complete initial install, or
    >> first start of Laptop

    > It also asks if you change motherboard, hard drive or network card.

    My kid's laptop didn't come with a CD for Windows.
    It just came with Windows XP on it.Then the hard disk drive crashed.

    When I put a spare hard drive I had lying around in, up came this message
    about Windows Activation being needed before I could log in. OK. Fine.

    But, the Windows Activation window just came up blue and blank with no
    buttons, no action, no words, no nuthin'. I waited an hour and still
    nothing. I plugged into a live ethernet, and did a hardware reboot, and
    still nothing when it came up the same way.

    What's wrong with Windows Activation?

  5. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

    On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 06:11:08 -0500, Lee wrote:
    > It also asks if you change motherboard, hard drive or network card.

    Well, even though I didn't find it in the google record, it seems if you
    change EVERYTHING (all ten parameters), then Windows Activation just locks
    up.

    I'm surprised it does this - not because Microsoft wouldn't want you to
    swap C drives on computers - but because I haven't seen this in the
    googling I did.

    Anyway, be advised - Microsoft will NOT let you move a hard drive boot disk
    from one laptop to another as a boot disk - Microsoft won't even let you
    activate it - the activation screen will simply lock up on you.

    Your only choice is to reinstall the operating system (which is what I
    did).

    Be forwarned!

  6. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

    Erica Eshoo wrote...

    >Your only choice is to reinstall the operating system (which is what I
    >did).
    >
    >Be forwarned!

    or restore from backup's (which is what many of us did).

    Be prepared (for disasters)!

  7. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

    On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 21:52:31 GMT, Harry331 wrote:
    > or restore from backup's (which is what many of us did).

    Do you REALLY backup your ENTIRE operating system?

    And, when you restore it to a brand-new disk, are you SURE it really works?

    I've NEVER had success backing up programs.

    I've only had success backing up data.

    Do you really back up the entire operating system and all the programs and
    they work when you're done?

    I find that very hard to believe. You _must_ be a genius 'cuz I can never
    get that to work.

  8. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

    Erica Eshoo wrote:

    >On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 06:11:08 -0500, Lee wrote:
    >> It also asks if you change motherboard, hard drive or network card.

    >Well, even though I didn't find it in the google record, it seems if you
    >change EVERYTHING (all ten parameters), then Windows Activation just locks
    >up.
    >
    >I'm surprised it does this - not because Microsoft wouldn't want you to
    >swap C drives on computers - but because I haven't seen this in the
    >googling I did.
    >
    >Anyway, be advised - Microsoft will NOT let you move a hard drive boot disk
    >from one laptop to another as a boot disk - Microsoft won't even let you
    >activate it - the activation screen will simply lock up on you.
    >
    >Your only choice is to reinstall the operating system (which is what I
    >did).
    >
    >Be forwarned!

    Yeah, but you can do a "repair" install rather than a "fresh" install,
    then activate it. That way, you won't have to re-install all your
    applications and data.

    Larry

  9. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installationid?

    Erica Eshoo wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 06:11:08 -0500, Lee wrote:
    >> It also asks if you change motherboard, hard drive or network card.

    > Well, even though I didn't find it in the google record, it seems if you
    > change EVERYTHING (all ten parameters), then Windows Activation just locks
    > up.
    >
    > I'm surprised it does this - not because Microsoft wouldn't want you to
    > swap C drives on computers - but because I haven't seen this in the
    > googling I did.
    >
    > Anyway, be advised - Microsoft will NOT let you move a hard drive boot disk
    > from one laptop to another as a boot disk - Microsoft won't even let you
    > activate it - the activation screen will simply lock up on you.
    >
    > Your only choice is to reinstall the operating system (which is what I
    > did).
    >
    > Be forwarned!

    You might have tried phoning them. I've had cases of activation lockup
    before, and they've stepped me through safe-mode (where activation
    doesn't run) stuff that has allowed the current install to be used by
    resetting the activation. I had to bypass the voice prompts to get to a
    live person, who then referred me to licensing. This was on a retail
    version install.

    Cheers.

  10. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

    Erica Eshoo wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 06:11:08 -0500, Lee wrote:
    >> It also asks if you change motherboard, hard drive or network card.

    > Well, even though I didn't find it in the google record, it seems if
    > you change EVERYTHING (all ten parameters), then Windows Activation
    > just locks up.
    >
    > I'm surprised it does this - not because Microsoft wouldn't want you
    > to swap C drives on computers - but because I haven't seen this in the
    > googling I did.
    >
    > Anyway, be advised - Microsoft will NOT let you move a hard drive
    > boot disk from one laptop to another as a boot disk - Microsoft won't
    > even let you activate it - the activation screen will simply lock up on you.

    Wrong.

    > Your only choice is to reinstall the operating system

    Wrong.

    > (which is what I did).

    > Be forwarned!

    You're mangling the story completely.

  11. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

    Erica Eshoo wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 21:52:31 GMT, Harry331 wrote:

    >> or restore from backup's (which is what many of us did).

    > Do you REALLY backup your ENTIRE operating system?

    Yep, plenty with a clue do, particularly with a laptop.

    > And, when you restore it to a brand-new disk, are you SURE it really works?

    Yep, done it countless times when doing maintenance on systems and
    on the test system where I have a number of images of various OSs etc.

    > I've NEVER had success backing up programs.

    Then you arent using the right imaging software.

    > I've only had success backing up data.

    Then you are in no position to be giving any advice to anyone on anything at all, ever.

    > Do you really back up the entire operating system and
    > all the programs and they work when you're done?

    Yep, completely trivial.

    > I find that very hard to believe.

    Your problem.

    > You _must_ be a genius 'cuz I can never get that to work.

    Anyone with a clue can. You dont need to be anything like a genius.

  12. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installationid?

    Erica Eshoo wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 21:52:31 GMT, Harry331 wrote:
    >> or restore from backup's (which is what many of us did).

    > Do you REALLY backup your ENTIRE operating system?
    >
    > And, when you restore it to a brand-new disk, are you SURE it really works?
    >
    > I've NEVER had success backing up programs.
    >
    > I've only had success backing up data.
    >
    > Do you really back up the entire operating system and all the programs and
    > they work when you're done?
    >
    > I find that very hard to believe. You _must_ be a genius 'cuz I can never
    > get that to work.

    No IQ necessary, use a disk imaging software like DriveImage XML, and
    not a file-based backup like (uggh) NtBackup.

    Cheers.

  13. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

    Erica Eshoo wrote...

    >On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 21:52:31 GMT, Harry331 wrote:
    >> or restore from backup's (which is what many of us did).

    >Do you REALLY backup your ENTIRE operating system?
    >
    >And, when you restore it to a brand-new disk, are you SURE it really works?

    Yep. My hard drive crashed a few months ago. I bought a new one.
    Restored it. No problem.

    >I've NEVER had success backing up programs.
    >
    >I've only had success backing up data.
    >
    >Do you really back up the entire operating system and all the programs and
    >they work when you're done?

    Yep. Of course. What's the purpose of backup software if they can't
    backup the entire OS? I did backup every week. Restore from backup
    whenever my anti-virus program detected anything bad.

    >I find that very hard to believe. You _must_ be a genius 'cuz I can never
    >get that to work.

    Not really, just an original PC user, who had take sometime to do
    preventative measure. I'm sure you can do the same as well.

  14. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installationid?

    Erica Eshoo wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 21:52:31 GMT, Harry331 wrote:
    >> or restore from backup's (which is what many of us did).

    > Do you REALLY backup your ENTIRE operating system?
    >
    > And, when you restore it to a brand-new disk, are you SURE it really works?
    >
    > I've NEVER had success backing up programs.
    >
    > I've only had success backing up data.
    >
    > Do you really back up the entire operating system and all the programs and
    > they work when you're done?
    >
    > I find that very hard to believe. You _must_ be a genius 'cuz I can never
    > get that to work.

    If you think everyone smarter than you is a genius, there are *billions*
    of geniuses in the world.

  15. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

    Response from "Rod Speed" :

    >> You _must_ be a genius 'cuz I can never get that to work.

    > Anyone with a clue can. You dont need to be anything like a
    > genius.

    I have tried my best recently not to engage in what I find
    questionable behavior as to avoid the entire troll or flame
    controversies people like to hurl at each other, but...

    That is twice now that I have seen you reply purporting to have loads
    of answers yet not offer ANYTHING helpful.

    To that end, I'd be interested in hearing what recommendations you
    have for:

    1. Imaging software.

    2. Methods of restoring a disk and/or taking an existing disk to
    another computer.

    3. Deploying multiple images.

    And instead of spouting "wrong" say what it is exactly that is wrong
    about it. You stating that someone is "mangling the story" does not
    solve the enigma you are attempting to create.

    Thanks.

    --
    -Lost
    kidding. No I am not.

  16. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

    -Lost wrote:
    > Rod Speed wrote

    >>> You _must_ be a genius 'cuz I can never get that to work.

    >> Anyone with a clue can. You dont need to be anything like a genius.

    > I have tried my best recently not to engage in what I find
    > questionable behavior as to avoid the entire troll or flame
    > controversies people like to hurl at each other, but...

    But you will do so anyway...

    Your best is clearly nothing like good enough.

    > That is twice now that I have seen you reply purporting
    > to have loads of answers yet not offer ANYTHING helpful.

    Cant even manage a viable troll...

    > To that end, I'd be interested in hearing what recommendations you have for:

    > 1. Imaging software.

    I like Acronis' True Image. It does what she claims she cant do fine.

    > 2. Methods of restoring a disk

    See above. Any viable imaging software can do that.

    > and/or taking an existing disk to another computer.

    Too carelessly stated for it to be possible to make any recommendation on that.

    > 3. Deploying multiple images.

    Ditto.

    > And instead of spouting "wrong" say what it is exactly that is wrong about it.

    I clearly did just that above. In spades with what you carefully deleted from the quoting.

    > You stating that someone is "mangling the story" does
    > not solve the enigma you are attempting to create.

    Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed attempts at a troll, child.

    > Thanks.

    No thanks, **** off.

  17. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installationid?

    Erica Eshoo wrote:

    > Anyway, be advised - Microsoft will NOT let you move a hard drive boot disk
    > from one laptop to another as a boot disk - Microsoft won't even let you
    > activate it - the activation screen will simply lock up on you.

    And all this time you thought you'd *bought* something.

    --
    Mark Warner
    lose .inhibitions when replying

  18. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

    "Erica Eshoo" wrote in message
    news:vZpXi.2740$yV6.523@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net ...
    > On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 06:11:08 -0500, Lee wrote:
    >> It also asks if you change motherboard, hard drive or network card.

    > Well, even though I didn't find it in the google record, it seems if you
    > change EVERYTHING (all ten parameters), then Windows Activation just locks
    > up.
    >
    > I'm surprised it does this - not because Microsoft wouldn't want you to
    > swap C drives on computers - but because I haven't seen this in the
    > googling I did.
    >
    > Anyway, be advised - Microsoft will NOT let you move a hard drive boot
    > disk
    > from one laptop to another as a boot disk - Microsoft won't even let you
    > activate it - the activation screen will simply lock up on you.
    >
    > Your only choice is to reinstall the operating system (which is what I
    > did).
    >
    > Be forwarned!

    The problem here is that you can't just take an install that was designed
    for one machine and drop into another. Unless those laptops are 100%
    identical, it's not going to work. The install of XP was setup for certain
    hardware. If that hardware is not the same (100%) in the second laptop,
    it's not going to know how to control the hardware; it won't have the proper
    drivers to let XP interact with the hardware. From the was I see it, you
    should feel damn lucky that the install of XP even booted at all, let alone
    the minor problem of it locking up at the activation screen...

  19. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

    Most laptops use Intel chipsets, and moving XP between them works.

    "FeMaster" wrote in message news:SSQXi.506$ej3.25@newsfe06.lga...

    > The problem here is that you can't just take an install that was designed
    > for one machine and drop into another. Unless those laptops are 100%
    > identical, it's not going to work. The install of XP was setup for certain
    > hardware. If that hardware is not the same (100%) in the second laptop,
    > it's not going to know how to control the hardware; it won't have the proper
    > drivers to let XP interact with the hardware. From the was I see it, you
    > should feel damn lucky that the install of XP even booted at all, let alone
    > the minor problem of it locking up at the activation screen...

  20. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

    -Lost wrote...

    >1. Imaging software.

    Acronis True Image

    >2. Methods of restoring a disk and/or taking an existing disk to
    >another computer.

    - for restore: Acronis True Image
    - for transferring hard disk to another computer
    - identical PC'es
    (same motherborad, same disk controller, same video driver,
    same eveything)
    - alternatively, Sysprep the source OS first ;-)
    tranafer the hdd, and cross your fingers before reboot

    >3. Deploying multiple images.

    - Sysprep (google "sysprep")
    - Acronis Snap Depoy

+ Reply to Thread