Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id? - Storage

This is a discussion on Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id? - Storage ; FeMaster wrote: > "Erica Eshoo" wrote in message > news:vZpXi.2740$yV6.523@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net ... >> On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 06:11:08 -0500, Lee wrote: >>> It also asks if you change motherboard, hard drive or network card. >> >> Well, even though I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

  1. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

    FeMaster wrote:
    > "Erica Eshoo" wrote in message
    > news:vZpXi.2740$yV6.523@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net ...
    >> On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 06:11:08 -0500, Lee wrote:
    >>> It also asks if you change motherboard, hard drive or network card.

    >> Well, even though I didn't find it in the google record, it seems if
    >> you change EVERYTHING (all ten parameters), then Windows Activation
    >> just locks up.
    >>
    >> I'm surprised it does this - not because Microsoft wouldn't want you
    >> to swap C drives on computers - but because I haven't seen this in
    >> the googling I did.
    >>
    >> Anyway, be advised - Microsoft will NOT let you move a hard drive
    >> boot disk
    >> from one laptop to another as a boot disk - Microsoft won't even let
    >> you activate it - the activation screen will simply lock up on you.
    >>
    >> Your only choice is to reinstall the operating system (which is what
    >> I did).
    >>
    >> Be forwarned!
    >>

    > The problem here is that you can't just take an install that was
    > designed for one machine and drop into another. Unless those laptops
    > are 100% identical, it's not going to work. The install of XP was
    > setup for certain hardware. If that hardware is not the same (100%)
    > in the second laptop, it's not going to know how to control the hardware; it won't have the proper drivers to let XP
    > interact with the hardware.

    That 100% claim is just plain wrong.

    > From the was I see it, you should feel damn lucky that the install of XP even booted at all, let alone the minor
    > problem of it locking up at the activation screen...

  2. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    > FeMaster wrote:
    >> "Erica Eshoo" wrote in message
    >> news:vZpXi.2740$yV6.523@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net ...
    >>>
    >>> Well, even though I didn't find it in the google record, it seems if
    >>> you change EVERYTHING (all ten parameters), then Windows Activation
    >>> just locks up.
    >>>
    >>> I'm surprised it does this - not because Microsoft wouldn't want you
    >>> to swap C drives on computers - but because I haven't seen this in
    >>> the googling I did.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, be advised - Microsoft will NOT let you move a hard drive
    >>> boot disk
    >>> from one laptop to another as a boot disk - Microsoft won't even let
    >>> you activate it - the activation screen will simply lock up on you.
    >>>
    >>> Your only choice is to reinstall the operating system (which is what
    >>> I did).
    >>>
    >>> Be forwarned!
    >>>

    >> The problem here is that you can't just take an install that was
    >> designed for one machine and drop into another. Unless those laptops
    >> are 100% identical, it's not going to work. The install of XP was
    >> setup for certain hardware. If that hardware is not the same (100%)
    >> in the second laptop, it's not going to know how to control the hardware;
    >> it won't have the proper drivers to let XP interact with the hardware.

    > That 100% claim is just plain wrong.

    And your replies are 100% worthless. But thanks for your comments anyway.

    >> From the was I see it, you should feel damn lucky that the install of XP
    >> even booted at all, let alone the minor problem of it locking up at the
    >> activation screen...

  3. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

    Apparently luck has been on your side.

    "Eric Gisin" wrote in message
    > Most laptops use Intel chipsets, and moving XP between them works.
    >
    > "FeMaster" wrote in message
    >>
    >> The problem here is that you can't just take an install that was designed
    >> for one machine and drop into another. Unless those laptops are 100%
    >> identical, it's not going to work. The install of XP was setup for
    >> certain hardware. If that hardware is not the same (100%) in the second
    >> laptop, it's not going to know how to control the hardware; it won't have
    >> the proper drivers to let XP interact with the hardware. From the was I
    >> see it, you should feel damn lucky that the install of XP even booted at
    >> all, let alone the minor problem of it locking up at the activation
    >> screen...

  4. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

    On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 20:19:58 -0600, Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:
    On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 20:19:58 -0600, Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:
    > If you think everyone smarter than you is a genius, there are *billions*
    > of geniuses in the world.

    I doubt many of them back up programs successfully.

    Did you ever look at where programs scatter files?

    Take a snapshot of your entire disk and then install, for example,
    Microsoft Office.

    Then look at the THOUSANDS (not tens, not hundreds, but thousands) of files
    and registry settings that are set.

    After doing that, tell me that you successfully back up your programs and
    reinstall them and they actually work as before.

  5. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

    On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 21:07:54 -0600, FeMaster wrote:

    > The problem here is that you can't just take an install that was designed
    > for one machine and drop into another. Unless those laptops are 100%
    > identical, it's not going to work.

    This appears to be what happened. The hard disks I had lying around were
    from Dell laptops and Toshiba laptops mostly - and I tried to put them in
    an IBM laptop.

  6. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

    On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 23:20:34 -0600, FeMaster wrote:
    > And your replies are 100% worthless.

    One thing that I learned that might be worthwhile to all of us is the fact
    we can save these two files & copy them back after reimaging.
    C:\windows\system32\wpa.dbl & c:\windows\system32\wpa.bak

    Apparently these files copied back will prevent the Windows Activation from
    locking up as they allow Windows Activation to proceed without interaction
    or something like that.

    Has anyone ever successfully tried this trick?

  7. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

    Erica Eshoo wrote:

    >On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 21:07:54 -0600, FeMaster wrote:
    >
    >> The problem here is that you can't just take an install that was designed
    >> for one machine and drop into another. Unless those laptops are 100%
    >> identical, it's not going to work.

    >This appears to be what happened. The hard disks I had lying around were
    >from Dell laptops and Toshiba laptops mostly - and I tried to put them in
    >an IBM laptop.

    Did you try a repair install after booting from the CD containing the
    Windows for the IBM?

    Larry

  8. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

    On Tue 06 Nov 2007 05:49:20, Erica Eshoo
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 20:19:58 -0600, Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 20:19:58 -0600, Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:
    >> If you think everyone smarter than you is a genius, there are
    >> *billions* of geniuses in the world.

    > I doubt many of them back up programs successfully.
    >
    > Did you ever look at where programs scatter files?
    >
    > Take a snapshot of your entire disk and then install, for example,
    > Microsoft Office.
    >
    > Then look at the THOUSANDS (not tens, not hundreds, but thousands)
    > of files and registry settings that are set.
    >
    > After doing that, tell me that you successfully back up your
    > programs and reinstall them and they actually work as before.

    Thousands of files set for one large application means te hard drive
    can't be backed up?

    Next you'll mention that a cpu can't possibly be running at 2GHz
    because it's 20 times faster than the 100MHz tuning on your FM radio
    and everyone knows that nothiung travels faster than radio waves.

    Are you trolling?

    Or did you sleep through your physics lessons?

  9. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

    Harry331 wrote
    > -Lost wrote...

    >> 1. Imaging software.

    > Acronis True Image

    >> 2. Methods of restoring a disk and/or taking an existing disk to another computer.

    > - for restore: Acronis True Image
    > - for transferring hard disk to another computer
    > - identical PC'es
    > (same motherborad, same disk controller, same video driver, same eveything)

    Doesnt need to be same everything. And a repair install will fix even radical differences in the hardware.

    > - alternatively, Sysprep the source OS first ;-)
    > tranafer the hdd, and cross your fingers before reboot

    And do a repair install if it doesnt work.

    >> 3. Deploying multiple images.

    > - Sysprep (google "sysprep")
    > - Acronis Snap Depoy

  10. Re: Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

    Erica Eshoo wrote
    > Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote

    >> If you think everyone smarter than you is a genius,
    >> there are *billions* of geniuses in the world.

    > I doubt many of them back up programs successfully.

    Your doubts are completely irrelevant, hordes do that successfully anyway.

    > Did you ever look at where programs scatter files?

    Irrelevant. And image of a hard drive IMAGES the hard drive so
    that replacing the hard drive works fine. Thats why its called an image.

    And file by file backup works fine too.

    > Take a snapshot of your entire disk and then install, for example, Microsoft Office.

    > Then look at the THOUSANDS (not tens, not hundreds,
    > but thousands) of files and registry settings that are set.

    And an IMAGE of the hard drive backs up them all.

    So does a complete file by file backup too.

    > After doing that, tell me that you successfully back up your
    > programs and reinstall them and they actually work as before.

    As easy as falling off a log with working imager. Thats why they are called imagers.

    FeMaster wrote:
    > "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    >> FeMaster wrote:
    >>> "Erica Eshoo" wrote in message
    >>> news:vZpXi.2740$yV6.523@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net ...

    >>> The problem here is that you can't just take an install that was
    >>> designed for one machine and drop into another. Unless those
    >>> laptops are 100% identical, it's not going to work. The install of
    >>> XP was setup for certain hardware. If that hardware is not the same (100%)
    >>> in the second laptop, it's not going to know how to control the
    >>> hardware; it won't have the proper drivers to let XP interact with
    >>> the hardware.

    >> That 100% claim is just plain wrong.

    > And your replies are 100% worthless. But thanks for your comments anyway.

    Never ever could bull**** its way out of a wet paper bag.

    There's plenty of hardware differences that wont prevent a move of
    an XP boot drive between systems and which will handle the hardware
    differences fine on the first boot of the drive in the new system.

    >>> From the was I see it, you should feel damn lucky that the install
    >>> of XP even booted at all, let alone the minor problem of it locking
    >>> up at the activation screen...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2