electrical storm - Storage

This is a discussion on electrical storm - Storage ; I received a 300GB Western Digital SATA hard disk drive with the report that it had been subject to an electrical event (lightning strike nearby?). It was a XP boot and data drive. There is no recent backup. The hdd ...

  1. electrical storm

    I received a 300GB Western Digital SATA hard disk drive with the
    report that it had been subject to an electrical event (lightning
    strike nearby?). It was a XP boot and data drive. There is no recent
    backup.

    The hdd detects as a second behind the operating system. The hp
    recovery partition is evident and properties
    indicates that partition is probably ok. The o/s, application, data
    partition indicates 0 bytes.

    As this is one physical drive why would the HP recovery partition be
    ok and the o/s, app, data partition be destroyed?

    So far I have tried 3 software tools, R-Studio reports the defective
    partition "disk is locked".
    Casper recognizes the failed partition but cannot clone due to the hdd
    format.
    A 3rd software that boots from a floppy fails to recognize the hdd
    that is failed.

    At this time I am running Acronis in an attempt to clone.

    Any other software tools I should try - especially ones that have been
    successful under these circumstances.

    btw re professional Data Recovery the owner has indicated he does not
    intend to proceed in that manner ($'s).

  2. Re: electrical storm

    hdtv? wrote:

    > I received a 300GB Western Digital SATA hard disk drive with the
    > report that it had been subject to an electrical event (lightning strike
    > nearby?). It was a XP boot and data drive. There is no recent backup.

    > The hdd detects as a second behind the operating system.
    > The hp recovery partition is evident and properties indicates
    > that partition is probably ok. The o/s, application, data
    > partition indicates 0 bytes.

    > As this is one physical drive why would the HP recovery
    > partition be ok and the o/s, app, data partition be destroyed?

    Because that partition was in use when the electrical event
    happened and so the data structures of it got damaged.

    > So far I have tried 3 software tools, R-Studio
    > reports the defective partition "disk is locked".

    > Casper recognizes the failed partition
    > but cannot clone due to the hdd format.

    > A 3rd software that boots from a floppy
    > fails to recognize the hdd that is failed.

    Then that partition is likely rather comprehensively screwed.

    > At this time I am running Acronis in an attempt to clone.

    > Any other software tools I should try - especially ones
    > that have been successful under these circumstances.

    I like Easy Recovery Pro myself.

    > btw re professional Data Recovery the owner has indicated
    > he does not intend to proceed in that manner ($'s).

  3. Re: electrical storm

    You can try out Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery Software a file
    and partition recovery utility which recover data lost due to
    accidental format, virus problems, software malfunction, file/
    directory deletion, unexpected shutdown, or even sabotage.
    Stellar Phoenix also provides 'Raw File Recovery' that recognizes &
    recovers more than 300 file types including documents, spreadsheets,
    web content & images.
    Product Information: http://www.stellarinfo.com/partition-recovery.htm
    Download the demo: http://www.stellarinfo.com/spwdr.exe

+ Reply to Thread