Buffalo DriveStation - PCI SATA? - Storage

This is a discussion on Buffalo DriveStation - PCI SATA? - Storage ; I'm looking at one of these: http://www.buffalo-technology.com/pr...ation-quattro/ It comes with a PCI eSATA host adapter. Is PCI enough for SATA drives? Most of the other eSATA multi-port host adapters I've seen are PCI-X or PCI-Express for better throughout. Cheers, Rob....

  1. Buffalo DriveStation - PCI SATA?

    I'm looking at one of these:

    http://www.buffalo-technology.com/pr...ation-quattro/

    It comes with a PCI eSATA host adapter. Is PCI enough for SATA drives? Most
    of the other eSATA multi-port host adapters I've seen are PCI-X or
    PCI-Express for better throughout.

    Cheers, Rob.

  2. Re: Buffalo DriveStation - PCI SATA?

    Previously Rob Nicholson wrote:
    > I'm looking at one of these:

    > http://www.buffalo-technology.com/pr...ation-quattro/

    > It comes with a PCI eSATA host adapter. Is PCI enough for SATA drives? Most
    > of the other eSATA multi-port host adapters I've seen are PCI-X or
    > PCI-Express for better throughout.

    > Cheers, Rob.

    What do you mean by "enough"?

    Arno

  3. Re: Buffalo DriveStation - PCI SATA?

    Rob Nicholson wrote in news:jOidnUHkx4pdZLTanZ2dnUVZ8v6dnZ2d@bt.com
    > I'm looking at one of these:
    >
    > http://www.buffalo-technology.com/pr...ation-quattro/
    >

    > It comes with a PCI eSATA host adapter.

    > Is PCI enough for SATA drives?

    What PCI would that be:
    32-bit 33MHz, 32-bit 66MHz, 64-bit 33MHz or 64-bit 66MHz?

    > Most of the other eSATA multi-port host adapters I've seen are PCI-X
    > or PCI-Express for better throughout.

    Which you don't actually know, so you made that up.

    > Cheers, Rob.

  4. Re: Buffalo DriveStation - PCI SATA?

    > What do you mean by "enough"?

    Fast enough, e.g. PCI-32 bit versus PCI-X (64 bit) versus PCI-E (serial).

    Cheers, Rob.

    PS. Moot anyway as we've ended up with a Dell XPS which is HUGE but has lots
    of SATA bays inside.

  5. Re: Buffalo DriveStation - PCI SATA?

    Rob Nicholson wrote in news:je6dnQoCaKOmurbaRVnyiwA@bt.com
    > > What do you mean by "enough"?

    > Fast enough, e.g. PCI-32 bit versus

    > PCI-X

    > (64 bit)

    Nonsense.

    > versus PCI-E (serial).
    >
    > Cheers, Rob.

    > PS. Moot anyway as we've ended up with a Dell XPS which is HUGE but has lots
    > of SATA bays inside.

    Once again proving how most questions here are often exercises in trolling.

  6. Re: Buffalo DriveStation - PCI SATA?

    Previously Rob Nicholson wrote:
    >> What do you mean by "enough"?

    > Fast enough, e.g. PCI-32 bit versus PCI-X (64 bit) versus PCI-E (serial).

    Still unclear.

    > Cheers, Rob.

    > PS. Moot anyway as we've ended up with a Dell XPS which is HUGE but
    > has lots of SATA bays inside.

    Ok.

  7. Re: Buffalo DriveStation - PCI SATA?

    >> Fast enough, e.g. PCI-32 bit versus PCI-X (64 bit) versus PCI-E (serial).
    >
    > Still unclear.

    Err, why?? Is the PCI-32 bit fast enough (I'll swap the words around) for
    four drive eSATA systems...

  8. Re: Buffalo DriveStation - PCI SATA?

    Previously Rob Nicholson wrote:
    >>> Fast enough, e.g. PCI-32 bit versus PCI-X (64 bit) versus PCI-E (serial).

    >> Still unclear.

    > Err, why?? Is the PCI-32 bit fast enough (I'll swap the words around) for
    > four drive eSATA systems...

    Yes, but fast enough for what? Fast enough to work? Yes. Fast enough
    to saturate the SATA bus? No. Fast enough to run application XYZ?
    Depends on the application. ....

    Arno

  9. Re: Buffalo DriveStation - PCI SATA?

    Previously Arno Wagner wrote:

    >>> Still unclear.

    >> Err, why?? Is the PCI-32 bit fast enough (I'll swap the words around) for
    >> four drive eSATA systems...

    > Yes, but fast enough for what? Fast enough to work? Yes. Fast enough
    > to saturate the SATA bus? No. Fast enough to run application XYZ?

    ^^^ That should be a "depends"

    Arno

  10. Re: Buffalo DriveStation - PCI SATA?

    "Rob Nicholson" wrote in message
    news4ydnc0iE62AjrLanZ2dnUVZ8ternZ2d@bt.com...
    >>> Fast enough, e.g. PCI-32 bit versus PCI-X (64 bit) versus PCI-E (serial).

    >> Still unclear.

    > Err, why?? Is the PCI-32 bit fast enough (I'll swap the words around) for four drive eSATA
    > systems...

    Fast enough for any activity on one drive, or random I/O on all.
    You will notice slowdown if you copy large files between drives.

  11. Re: Buffalo DriveStation - PCI SATA?

    > Fast enough for any activity on one drive, or random I/O on all.
    > You will notice slowdown if you copy large files between drives.

    I guess this depends how port multipliers work in eSata environments which
    will tend to be RAID at some level, possibly just stripped. It's possible
    that a file could be stripped across four drives so four read operations
    could be running at once thus attempting to feed 4x data down the single
    eSATA port multiplier lead to the controller card.

    The main reason I asked is that most eSata port multiplier cards are NOT
    just PCI-32, they are PCI-X or PCIe.

    Cheers, Rob.

  12. Re: Buffalo DriveStation - PCI SATA?

    Stop trolling, Troll.

    Rob Nicholson wrote in news:FOOdnbP7fseFrK3anZ2dnUVZ8smgnZ2d@bt.com
    > > Fast enough for any activity on one drive, or random I/O on all.
    > > You will notice slowdown if you copy large files between drives.

    > I guess this depends how port multipliers work in eSata environments which
    > will tend to be RAID at some level, possibly just stripped. It's possible
    > that a file could be stripped across four drives so four read operations
    > could be running at once thus attempting to feed 4x data down the single
    > eSATA port multiplier lead to the controller card.
    >
    > The main reason I asked is that most eSata port multiplier cards are NOT
    > just PCI-32, they are PCI-X or PCIe.
    >
    > Cheers, Rob.

+ Reply to Thread