eBay: LaCie D2 1TB external drive - Storage

This is a discussion on eBay: LaCie D2 1TB external drive - Storage ; http://snipr.com/LaCieD2...

  1. eBay: LaCie D2 1TB external drive

  2. Re: eBay: LaCie D2 1TB external drive

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Mr X. wrote:
    > http://snipr.com/LaCieD2

    Ah, the famous disk-failure increaser, where RAID 0 or append mode
    is used for "reliable" storage....

    Arno

  3. Re: LaCie D2 1TB external drive

    "Mr X." wrote in message
    news:7a07fec14263c798537fdb267e29d592@hermetix.org ...
    > http: // snipr . com / LaCieD2

    Spammer using a mail2news redirect to post a URL that uses a redirect
    service.
    http: // snipr . com / LaCieD2 takes users to an eBay auction. 1 day
    left for eBay to kill the auction and kill the spammer's account. Odd
    that a PowerSeller at eBay with with 53198 transactions would risk
    their standing there by spamming newsgroups and getting reported for
    it.

  4. Re: LaCie D2 1TB external drive

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage VanguardLH wrote:
    > "Mr X." wrote in message
    > news:7a07fec14263c798537fdb267e29d592@hermetix.org ...
    >> http: // snipr . com / LaCieD2

    > Spammer using a mail2news redirect to post a URL that uses a redirect
    > service.
    > http: // snipr . com / LaCieD2 takes users to an eBay auction. 1 day
    > left for eBay to kill the auction and kill the spammer's account. Odd
    > that a PowerSeller at eBay with with 53198 transactions would risk
    > their standing there by spamming newsgroups and getting reported for
    > it.

    May be a competitior that tries to sabotage him.

    Arno

  5. Re: eBay: LaCie D2 1TB external drive

    "Arno Wagner" wrote in message
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Mr X. wrote:
    >> http://snipr.com/LaCieD2

    > Ah, the famous disk-failure increaser, where RAID 0 or append mode
    > is used for "reliable" storage....
    >
    > Arno

    So you're thinking they shoved in 2 500GB drives inside the 10.6" long
    case because it mentions built-in RAID-0 support?
    (http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10922)

    Case width: 1.7" (so a 1.028" 3-1/2 drive would fit)
    Case height: 6.8" (so a 5.787" 3-1/2 drive would fit, including cable
    to it)
    Case depth: 10.6" (so two 4" wide 3-1/2 drives would fit)

    So, yeah, it looks like the case could fit in two 3-1/2" drives but it
    would be tight to also include the PCB, PSU, and fan. The 1/4" on
    each side would be needed to get any air to move past the hard drives
    for cooling so the PCB, PSU, and fan wouldn't be on the sides. The 1"
    extra in the height would need that space for the cable header, cable,
    and space for airflow for cooling. So the only place the PCB, PSU,
    and fan could be is in the back in that 2.6" space (since that is also
    where are all the connectors). I suppose it's doable. You sure there
    are 2 drives in there preconfigured for RAID?

  6. Re: eBay: LaCie D2 1TB external drive

    VanguardLH wrote in news:RNOdnbeoMdis7LfanZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@comcast.com
    > "Arno Wagner" wrote in message news:5oue98FomiquU1@mid.individual.net...
    > > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Mr X. wrote:
    > > > http://snipr.com/LaCieD2

    > > Ah, the famous disk-failure increaser, where RAID 0 or append mode
    > > is used for "reliable" storage....
    > >
    > > Arno

    > So you're thinking they shoved in 2 500GB drives inside the 10.6" long
    > case because it mentions built-in RAID-0 support?

    Yeah, that's obviously quite a 'stretch'.

    > (http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10922)
    >
    > Case width: 1.7" (so a 1.028" 3-1/2 drive would fit)
    > Case height: 6.8" (so a 5.787" 3-1/2 drive would fit, including cable
    > to it)
    > Case depth: 10.6" (so two 4" wide 3-1/2 drives would fit)
    >
    > So, yeah, it looks like the case could fit in two 3-1/2" drives but it
    > would be tight to also include the PCB, PSU, and fan. The 1/4" on
    > each side would be needed to get any air to move past the hard drives
    > for cooling so the PCB, PSU, and fan wouldn't be on the sides. The 1"
    > extra in the height would need that space for the cable header, cable,
    > and space for airflow for cooling. So the only place the PCB, PSU,
    > and fan could be is in the back in that 2.6" space (since that is also
    > where are all the connectors). I suppose it's doable.

    > You sure there
    > are 2 drives in there preconfigured for RAID?

    No, of course not. They obviously just lie about the RAID0.

  7. Re: eBay: LaCie D2 1TB external drive

    Folkert Rienstra wrote:
    > VanguardLH wrote in news:RNOdnbeoMdis7LfanZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@comcast.com
    >>> Ah, the famous disk-failure increaser, where RAID 0 or append mode
    >>> is used for "reliable" storage....
    >>>
    >>> Arno

    >> So you're thinking they shoved in 2 500GB drives inside the 10.6" long
    >> case because it mentions built-in RAID-0 support?

    > Yeah, that's obviously quite a 'stretch'.
    >
    >> (http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10922)
    >>
    >> Case width: 1.7" (so a 1.028" 3-1/2 drive would fit)
    >> Case height: 6.8" (so a 5.787" 3-1/2 drive would fit, including cable
    >> to it)
    >> Case depth: 10.6" (so two 4" wide 3-1/2 drives would fit)
    >>
    >> So, yeah, it looks like the case could fit in two 3-1/2" drives but it
    >> would be tight to also include the PCB, PSU, and fan. The 1/4" on
    >> each side would be needed to get any air to move past the hard drives
    >> for cooling so the PCB, PSU, and fan wouldn't be on the sides. The 1"
    >> extra in the height would need that space for the cable header, cable,
    >> and space for airflow for cooling. So the only place the PCB, PSU,
    >> and fan could be is in the back in that 2.6" space (since that is also
    >> where are all the connectors). I suppose it's doable.

    >> You sure there
    >> are 2 drives in there preconfigured for RAID?

    > No, of course not. They obviously just lie about the RAID0.

    This chip claims to support stripe or span (OXFW912), but the third
    link down shows there is only one IDE cable interface. So the stripe
    is using the same cable.

    STO_OXFW912_PB.pdf "OXFW912 1394B-to-ATA7/ATAPI Bridge with integrated hardware striping"
    http://www.oxsemi.com/docstore/doc.p...4a79fbadb08600

    STO_OXUF911_OXUF912_WP.pdf "Real world performance"
    http://www.oxsemi.com/docstore/doc.p...61199f09c3a300

    Rather than buy from Lacie, you can get a bridge board for $60 and build
    one yourself.

    http://www.cooldrives.com/firewire-b...2-400-800.html

    Paul

  8. Re: eBay: LaCie D2 1TB external drive

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage VanguardLH wrote:
    > "Arno Wagner" wrote in message
    >> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Mr X. wrote:
    >>> http://snipr.com/LaCieD2

    >> Ah, the famous disk-failure increaser, where RAID 0 or append mode
    >> is used for "reliable" storage....
    >>
    >> Arno

    > So you're thinking they shoved in 2 500GB drives inside the 10.6" long
    > case because it mentions built-in RAID-0 support?
    > (http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10922)

    > Case width: 1.7" (so a 1.028" 3-1/2 drive would fit)
    > Case height: 6.8" (so a 5.787" 3-1/2 drive would fit, including cable
    > to it)
    > Case depth: 10.6" (so two 4" wide 3-1/2 drives would fit)

    > So, yeah, it looks like the case could fit in two 3-1/2" drives but it
    > would be tight to also include the PCB, PSU, and fan. The 1/4" on
    > each side would be needed to get any air to move past the hard drives
    > for cooling so the PCB, PSU, and fan wouldn't be on the sides. The 1"
    > extra in the height would need that space for the cable header, cable,
    > and space for airflow for cooling. So the only place the PCB, PSU,
    > and fan could be is in the back in that 2.6" space (since that is also
    > where are all the connectors). I suppose it's doable. You sure there
    > are 2 drives in there preconfigured for RAID?

    Not absolutely, now. But I knmow that some LaChie 1TB have RAID0/Append
    config. Also they started selling these before 1TB drives were available.
    As far as I know thay also put in whichever disks are cheapest. One of
    thos that do not compete by quality, but by image.

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread