? Restoring backupn partition on larger drive - Storage

This is a discussion on ? Restoring backupn partition on larger drive - Storage ; I just received a replacement drive which is larger than my previous drive. Because I ran out of space to save the .tib file, I had to backup the drive using backup partitions. I am using Acronis 8. I wish ...

  1. ? Restoring backupn partition on larger drive

    I just received a replacement drive which is larger than my previous
    drive. Because I ran out of space to save the .tib file, I had to backup
    the drive using backup partitions. I am using Acronis 8. I wish to
    restore the (two) tib files onto the new drive using the restore
    partition command.

    What would happen to the extra space, if I restore the partitions on a
    larger drive? Would Acronis automatically create another partition or
    would the remaining space be unusable?

  2. Re: ? Restoring backupn partition on larger drive

    Sam wrote:
    > I just received a replacement drive which is larger than my previous
    > drive. Because I ran out of space to save the .tib file, I had to
    > backup the drive using backup partitions. I am using Acronis 8. I
    > wish to restore the (two) tib files onto the new drive using the
    > restore partition command.
    >
    > What would happen to the extra space, if I restore the partitions on a
    > larger drive? Would Acronis automatically create another partition or
    > would the remaining space be unusable?

    You get to specify what to do, expand the partition to use the space or not.

  3. Re: ? Restoring backupn partition on larger drive

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    : Sam wrote:
    : > I just received a replacement drive which is larger than my previous
    : > drive. Because I ran out of space to save the .tib file, I had to
    : > backup the drive using backup partitions. I am using Acronis 8. I
    : > wish to restore the (two) tib files onto the new drive using the
    : > restore partition command.
    : >
    :
    : You get to specify what to do, expand the partition to use the space
    or not.

    Thanks, will give it a try.

  4. Re: ? Restoring backupn partition on larger drive

    : Sam wrote:
    : > I just received a replacement drive which is larger than my previous
    : > drive. Because I ran out of space to save the .tib file, I had to
    : > backup the drive using backup partitions. I am using Acronis 8. I
    : > wish to restore the (two) tib files onto the new drive using the
    : > restore partition command.
    : >
    : > What would happen to the extra space, if I restore the partitions on
    : > larger drive? Would Acronis automatically create another partition
    or
    : > would the remaining space be unusable?
    :
    : You get to specify what to do, expand the partition to use the space
    or not.

    After copying it, (I did a drive clone from my USB drive). I ran
    Partition magic to check the drive, error: init failed, partition table
    is bad. Now what?

  5. Re: ? Restoring backupn partition on larger drive

    Sam wrote:
    > "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    >> Sam wrote:
    >>> I just received a replacement drive which is larger than my previous
    >>> drive. Because I ran out of space to save the .tib file, I had to
    >>> backup the drive using backup partitions. I am using Acronis 8. I
    >>> wish to restore the (two) tib files onto the new drive using the
    >>> restore partition command.
    >>>
    >>> What would happen to the extra space, if I restore the partitions
    >>> on a larger drive? Would Acronis automatically create another
    >>> partition or would the remaining space be unusable?

    >> You get to specify what to do, expand the partition to use the space
    >> or not.

    > After copying it, (I did a drive clone from my USB drive). I ran
    > Partition magic to check the drive, error: init failed, partition
    > table is bad. Now what?

    Toss PM in the bin, its WAY past its useby date.

+ Reply to Thread