not enough free disk space, but 123gb free - Storage

This is a discussion on not enough free disk space, but 123gb free - Storage ; Im trying to move a 4.22GB file to my external hard dive, and keep getting the error "can't copy file. There is not enough free disk space."When i check how much free space i have left on my external drive ...

  1. not enough free disk space, but 123gb free

    Im trying to move a 4.22GB file to my external hard dive, and keep getting
    the error
    "can't copy file. There is not enough free disk space."When i check how much
    free space i have left on my external drive it says 123GB free. How can I
    move the file?
    Im running XP and the external drive is an acomadata 250gb drive.

  2. Re: not enough free disk space, but 123gb free

    It's probably FAT32. Use NTFS unless other OSs need to write it.

    "mysecretsrmine" wrote in message news:7a6d4f900dfb2@uwe...
    > Im trying to move a 4.22GB file to my external hard dive, and keep getting
    > the error
    > "can't copy file. There is not enough free disk space."When i check how much
    > free space i have left on my external drive it says 123GB free. How can I
    > move the file?
    > Im running XP and the external drive is an acomadata 250gb drive.

  3. Re: not enough free disk space, but 123gb free

    mysecretsrmine wrote:
    > Im trying to move a 4.22GB file to my external hard dive, and keep
    > getting the error
    > "can't copy file. There is not enough free disk space."When i check
    > how much free space i have left on my external drive it says 123GB
    > free. How can I move the file?
    > Im running XP and the external drive is an acomadata 250gb drive.

    There's a variety of things that can produce that result.

    One is that you have too many entrys in the root directory
    where there is a limit to the total number allowed.

    Try moving some of the files in the root to a folder in the root
    and see if that allows that file to be copied to the drive.

  4. Re: not enough free disk space, but 123gb free

    On Oct 29, 9:14 pm, "Eric Gisin" wrote:
    > It's probably FAT32. Use NTFS unless other OSs need to write it.
    >

    > "mysecretsrmine" wrote in messagenews:7a6d4f900dfb2@uwe...
    > > Im trying to move a 4.22GB file to my external hard dive, and keep getting
    > > the error
    > > "can't copy file. There is not enough free disk space."When i check how much
    > > free space i have left on my external drive it says 123GB free. How can I
    > > move the file?
    > > Im running XP and the external drive is an acomadata 250gb drive.- Hide quoted text -

    I agree with Eric. Most external drives come preformatted as FAT32
    and FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit

    Michael
    www.cnwrecovery.com

+ Reply to Thread