What's This 1024 Boundry & I Don't Care If it Won't Boot - Storage

This is a discussion on What's This 1024 Boundry & I Don't Care If it Won't Boot - Storage ; I use the D: drive for backup. It's a 160gig drive and for some reason it got partitioned to about 130gig. I'm running out of space so I tried to increase it to the maximum (155??) using Partition Magic v8. ...

  1. What's This 1024 Boundry & I Don't Care If it Won't Boot

    I use the D: drive for backup. It's a 160gig drive and for some
    reason it got partitioned to about 130gig. I'm running out of space
    so I tried to increase it to the maximum (155??) using Partition Magic
    v8. PM took the instruction and seemed to be proceeding fine. It had
    to reboot so I left the machine to do chores. When I came back PM had
    thrown up some kind of error message I didn't understand and when I
    pressed return to complete the reboot, I saw it had not increased the
    size. So I went back into PM. Now when I try to resize the partition
    I get this screen
    http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/1535/nonameif3.gif

    I have no idea what the little double arrows above and below the left
    end of the bar mean and it won't do anything. When I click OK it
    simply quits the resize screen and returns to the main/ready screen.

    The main screen still shows the full potential drive size but now the
    partition resize screen seems not to know it's a 160gig drive. And,
    as I said above refuses to do anything.

    What't the h@# is wrong?

    Also, what's this 1024 boundary stuff and why should I care since this
    drive doesn't boot anyway?
    ___
    XP Pro SP2, ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard, 1GB memory.

  2. Re: What's This 1024 Boundry & I Don't Care If it Won't Boot

    Okay, I finally got it to resize the partition by deleting a second
    partition of this drive. But, when it resized it apparently corrupted
    the drive and now XP does not see anything on the drive. I'm now
    trying to reformat the drive, but the only format option it presents
    me is NTFS and I need to use FAT32.

    What's the deal with this?

  3. Re: What's This 1024 Boundry & I Don't Care If it Won't Boot

    To clarify.

    I'm trying to format using XP not Partition Magic. Since PM seems to
    have corrupted the drive and lost everything on it I decided it would
    be safer to format using the operating system utility.

  4. Re: What's This 1024 Boundry & I Don't Care If it Won't Boot

    Delete the partition, reboot, and recreate it.
    If you get 128GB, you should figure out the cause.

    You can use fat32format, but you have to find it yourself.

    "jim evans" wrote in message
    > To clarify.
    >
    > I'm trying to format using XP not Partition Magic. Since PM seems to
    > have corrupted the drive and lost everything on it I decided it would
    > be safer to format using the operating system utility.

  5. Re: What's This 1024 Boundry & I Don't Care If it Won't Boot

    jim evans wrote:

    > To clarify.

    > I'm trying to format using XP not Partition Magic. Since PM
    > seems to have corrupted the drive and lost everything on it I
    > decided it would be safer to format using the operating system utility.

    Just format it with anything you like except XP itself.

    XP wont format a drive that big FAT32 but is happy
    to use that format if you format it with something else.

  6. Re: What's This 1024 Boundry & I Don't Care If it Won't Boot

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 08:18:51 +1100, "Rod Speed"
    wrote:

    >jim evans wrote:
    >
    >> To clarify.

    >> I'm trying to format using XP not Partition Magic. Since PM
    >> seems to have corrupted the drive and lost everything on it I
    >> decided it would be safer to format using the operating system utility.

    >Just format it with anything you like except XP itself.
    >
    >XP wont format a drive that big FAT32 but is happy
    >to use that format if you format it with something else.

    Thanks. It worked using Partition Magic. Strange.

+ Reply to Thread