Is it safe to return a hard drive to the manufacturer? - Storage

This is a discussion on Is it safe to return a hard drive to the manufacturer? - Storage ; Today I ran HUTIL on a Samsung drive that my RAID controller said had problems. I got a ton of ecc errors during the surface scan (so many that it caused HUTIL to crash). I tried a low level format, ...

  1. Is it safe to return a hard drive to the manufacturer?

    Today I ran HUTIL on a Samsung drive that my RAID controller said had
    problems. I got a ton of ecc errors during the surface scan (so many
    that it caused HUTIL to crash). I tried a low level format, and that
    also failed with an ecc error.

    Now I wonder what will happen when I send it back to Samsung. Will
    they fix it and give it to someone else as a "refurbished drive"? And
    will that person be able to read all of the data that I had on it?

  2. Re: Is it safe to return a hard drive to the manufacturer?

    void.no.spam.com@gmail.com wrote:

    > Today I ran HUTIL on a Samsung drive that my RAID controller
    > said had problems. I got a ton of ecc errors during the surface
    > scan (so many that it caused HUTIL to crash). I tried a low
    > level format, and that also failed with an ecc error.

    > Now I wonder what will happen when I send it back to Samsung.
    > Will they fix it and give it to someone else as a "refurbished drive"?

    Maybe, depending on what fault its got.

    > And will that person be able to read all of the data that I had on it?

    Nope. They'll erase the drive before they give it to anyone else.

    If its got something flagrantly illegal on it like child
    porn etc, it would be safer to just destroy the drive.

  3. Re: Is it safe to return a hard drive to the manufacturer?

    Previously void.no.spam.com@gmail.com wrote:
    > Today I ran HUTIL on a Samsung drive that my RAID controller said had
    > problems. I got a ton of ecc errors during the surface scan (so many
    > that it caused HUTIL to crash). I tried a low level format, and that
    > also failed with an ecc error.

    You cannot low-level format modern disks. It is just another surface
    scan.

    > Now I wonder what will happen when I send it back to Samsung. Will
    > they fix it and give it to someone else as a "refurbished drive"? And
    > will that person be able to read all of the data that I had on it?

    Well, typically refubished drives are not actually fixed, but
    non-defective drives sent in for warranty replacement. Depending
    on the problem, your drive might be just blanked and given
    to somebody else or disposed of. Disposal can mean shredering,
    landfill, or sold of to somebody.

    If in doubt, pass on the warranty replacement adn physically
    destroy the drive. Opening it and bending the platters is
    quite enough. Even only opening and destroying the heads leaves
    very low residual risk.

    Arno

  4. Re: Is it safe to return a hard drive to the manufacturer?

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:5oik80Fmog8vU1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously void.no.spam.com@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Today I ran HUTIL on a Samsung drive that my RAID controller said had
    > > problems. I got a ton of ecc errors during the surface scan (so many
    > > that it caused HUTIL to crash). I tried a low level format, and that
    > > also failed with an ecc error.

    > You cannot low-level format modern disks.

    Yes you can.

    > It is just another surface scan.

    Babblebot, clueless as always.

    > > Now I wonder what will happen when I send it back to Samsung. Will
    > > they fix it and give it to someone else as a "refurbished drive"? And
    > > will that person be able to read all of the data that I had on it?

    > Well, typically refubished drives are not actually fixed, but
    > non-defective drives sent in for warranty replacement. Depending
    > on the problem, your drive might be just blanked and given
    > to somebody else or disposed of. Disposal can mean shredering,
    > landfill, or sold of to somebody.
    >
    > If in doubt, pass on the warranty replacement adn physically
    > destroy the drive. Opening it and bending the platters is
    > quite enough. Even only opening and destroying the heads leaves
    > very low residual risk.
    >
    > Arno

+ Reply to Thread