WD750 on SATA 150 ?? - Storage

This is a discussion on WD750 on SATA 150 ?? - Storage ; Western Digital had a problem with their sata300 drives not being compatible with old VIA chipset SATA150 ports. Has the new 750 Gig SATA300 model fixed this problem to be backwards compatible with a jumper or autodetect ? Oddly enough ...

  1. WD750 on SATA 150 ??

    Western Digital had a problem with their sata300 drives not being
    compatible with old VIA chipset SATA150 ports.

    Has the new 750 Gig SATA300 model fixed this problem to be backwards
    compatible with a jumper or autodetect ?

    Oddly enough the reviewers never seem to cover this issue.

  2. Re: WD750 on SATA 150 ??

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 01:25:02 -0700, jj@nospam.com wrote:

    >Western Digital had a problem with their sata300 drives not being
    >compatible with old VIA chipset SATA150 ports.
    >
    >Has the new 750 Gig SATA300 model fixed this problem to be backwards
    >compatible with a jumper or autodetect ?
    >
    >Oddly enough the reviewers never seem to cover this issue.

    So... Nobody knows huh ?
    I've noticed most people are losing interest in computers as they
    turn into approved media delivery systems. Even geeks have better
    things to do with their time than buck the bull**** marketing
    system.

  3. Re: WD750 on SATA 150 ??

    Previously jj@nospam.com wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 01:25:02 -0700, jj@nospam.com wrote:

    >>Western Digital had a problem with their sata300 drives not being
    >>compatible with old VIA chipset SATA150 ports.
    >>
    >>Has the new 750 Gig SATA300 model fixed this problem to be backwards
    >>compatible with a jumper or autodetect ?
    >>
    >>Oddly enough the reviewers never seem to cover this issue.
    >>

    > So... Nobody knows huh ?
    > I've noticed most people are losing interest in computers as they
    > turn into approved media delivery systems. Even geeks have better
    > things to do with their time than buck the bull**** marketing
    > system.

    I just tend to stay away from WD, since their infamous RAID-Edition
    drives gave me the strong impression that they have a problem
    with defect recovery. Now that Seagate manufactures very bad
    drives in China, I am considering them again, but the last
    thing I found was some people that found them to be very loud,
    compared with Samsung. Currenly I am planning to get a P7K500
    250GB single platter drive (announced low-energy consumprion
    Hitachi) when they become available.

    Arno

  4. Re: WD750 on SATA 150 ??

    ..-jj@nospam.com wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 01:25:02 -0700, jj@nospam.com wrote:
    >

    >> Western Digital had a problem with their sata300 drives not being
    >> compatible with old VIA chipset SATA150 ports.
    >>
    >> Has the new 750 Gig SATA300 model fixed this problem to be backwards
    >> compatible with a jumper or autodetect ?
    >>
    >> Oddly enough the reviewers never seem to cover this issue.
    >>

    > So... Nobody knows huh ?

    Hardly surprising that none of the small number of people
    that read here have tried that particular combination with
    that drive so new and that chipset held in such poor regard.

    > I've noticed most people are losing interest in computers
    > as they turn into approved media delivery systems.

    Doesnt apply to those who post here.

    > Even geeks have better things to do with their
    > time than buck the bull**** marketing system.

    Corse there is never any bull**** marketing with 'approved media delivery systems', eh ?

  5. Re: WD750 on SATA 150 ??

    Rod Speed wrote in news:5oujnoFoeilaU1@mid.individual.net
    > .-jj@nospam.com wrote:
    > > On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 01:25:02 -0700, jj@nospam.com wrote:
    > >

    > > > Western Digital had a problem with their sata300 drives not being
    > > > compatible with old VIA chipset SATA150 ports.
    > > >
    > > > Has the new 750 Gig SATA300 model fixed this problem to be backwards
    > > > compatible with a jumper or autodetect ?
    > > >
    > > > Oddly enough the reviewers never seem to cover this issue.
    > > >

    > > So... Nobody knows huh ?

    > Hardly surprising that none of the small number of people

    A surprising big number of 2(!) babblebots.

    > that read here have tried that particular combination with
    > that drive so new and that chipset held in such poor regard.
    >
    > > I've noticed most people are losing interest in computers
    > > as they turn into approved media delivery systems.

    > Doesnt apply to those who post here.

    A surprising big number of 2(!) babblebots.

    > > Even geeks have better things to do with their
    > > time than buck the bull**** marketing system.

    > Corse there is never any bull**** marketing with 'approved media delivery
    > systems', eh ?

+ Reply to Thread