W98SE on HD >40GB - Storage

This is a discussion on W98SE on HD >40GB - Storage ; On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 03:04:21 -0700, Andy wrote: >Windows 98SE installed without any problem on a Seagate ST3250823A >250GB drive connected to a BioStar K8NHA Grand motherboard. I used >fdisk ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263044 ) to create a single >250GB partition ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: W98SE on HD >40GB

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 03:04:21 -0700, Andy <1@2.3> wrote:

    >Windows 98SE installed without any problem on a Seagate ST3250823A
    >250GB drive connected to a BioStar K8NHA Grand motherboard. I used
    >fdisk (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263044) to create a single
    >250GB partition the disk, then formatted the partition, and finally
    >installed Windows.

    How much data do you have in that partition?
    --
    Svend Olaf

  2. Re: W98SE on HD >40GB

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 16:34:18 +0100, Alan Peake
    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    > I don't seem to be able to load W98SE on a 160GB Seagate except on
    >partitions less than about 8GB. I have W98SE on a 40GB Maxtor -
    >installed with no problems but no luck on the Seagate - installation
    >runs OK until tries to boot for the first time, then says "Error loading
    >user.exe"
    >Is there any way of overcoming this?
    >Thanks,
    >Alan

    The esdi_506 Driver in Win98SE cannot cope with the larger
    drive. If you could multi-partition it and successfully get
    W98 installed, it would have corruption problems as you
    approached the 137GB data size mark for the drive. My
    experience was that it would overwrite other partitions data
    and leave the folder names and contents looking like a Japanese
    newspaper.

    There are several remedies available out there. You can search
    for esdi_506.pdr and see what comes up. There were some
    interesting discussions. I do not remember the particulars
    regarding chipsets and the driver versions available. If you
    are out of luck there, I may be able to find what you need in
    some old archives. If I remember correctly, there is a driver
    and utilities including a new scandisk.
    Did this 2 yrs ago.

  3. Re: W98SE on HD >40GB

    >> Well, I don't know that. I didn't actually try and write 160GB to
    >> it. Explorer and ZTREE reckon there's 160GB

    > Which they got from the drive's partition bootrecord. Presumably the
    > partition was created in the DOS stage using your 48-bit LBA
    > compatible BIOS.
    >

    >> so I assumed I can use it. Will try it later and see.

    > That's a little risky. Writing to over 137GB may over- write the
    > start of your drive and kill the partition.

    I haven't committed the drive to any data yet so the only thing I'll
    lose is the time involved in trying these things out. Incidentally, the
    version of FDSIK that W98SE uses, wants to check the "integrity" of the
    drive every time I want to change the partitioning - takes ages

    >> I thought thought the 137GB limit was imposed by the older LBA
    >> thing.

    > Yes, there is no other limit associated with Win98SE. If you are
    > suffering from one, then that must be it. *

    I'm not sure if the MoBo (M7NCG) has LBA48 or not. The bios (Award,
    circa 2005) doesn't report the full size so that may be the problem.

    > Still, even with that I can't figure why this should affect
    > installing Win98 to a size restricted partition below 137 GB. Are you
    > sure it's not a one time fluke?

    Don't know - it's a brand new disk.

  4. Re: W98SE on HD >40GB

    Andy wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 16:34:18 +0100, Alan Peake
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hi all,
    >> I don't seem to be able to load W98SE on a 160GB Seagate except on
    >>partitions less than about 8GB. I have W98SE on a 40GB Maxtor -
    >>installed with no problems but no luck on the Seagate - installation
    >>runs OK until tries to boot for the first time, then says "Error loading
    >>user.exe"
    >>Is there any way of overcoming this?
    >>Thanks,
    >>Alan

    > Windows 98SE installed without any problem on a Seagate ST3250823A
    > 250GB drive connected to a BioStar K8NHA Grand motherboard. I used
    > fdisk (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263044) to create a single
    > 250GB partition the disk, then formatted the partition, and finally
    > installed Windows.

    Got that - thanks. Will try it later but it looks now like the problem
    is the MoBo - no LBA48 possibly.
    Alan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2