external storage - Storage

This is a discussion on external storage - Storage ; My case has no more drive slots, the drives it has are already large, and I want another 500GB or more of storage. In the past I have used Samsung PATA drives in BYTECC USB2 external cases. I was going ...

  1. external storage

    My case has no more drive slots, the drives it has are already large,
    and I want another 500GB or more of storage.

    In the past I have used Samsung PATA drives in BYTECC USB2 external
    cases. I was going to do that again, but it looks like large (500GB)
    PATA drives are a scarce item and SATA is the way to go. So that got
    me thinking about what to do.

    The only spare PC box that I have has no monitor and no SATA and
    limited drive slots, so making my own server would probably mean just
    buying a new PC system. It seems like overkill, although I suppose it
    might have some advantages like good cooling and RAID mirroring.

    The PC I use has internal SATA but not external. In fact it has a SATA
    RAID controller. Maybe there is a reasonable way to get the SATA out
    of the box. I suppose there are simple external SATA boxes; does
    anyone have a particular recommendation?

    I suppose that if I could run the SATA out to external boxes I might
    be able to use the PC's RAID facility, but I am not at all sure how
    the system will respond to having the external drives not always
    available to the internal controller!

    Maybe there are external SATA RAID mirroring boxes that don't cost too
    much; Any specific recommendations?

    Or does anyone have recommendations on a good plain old SATA drive to
    UBS2 external box?

    Bob S

  2. Re: external storage

    Previously Bob S wrote:
    > My case has no more drive slots, the drives it has are already large,
    > and I want another 500GB or more of storage.

    > In the past I have used Samsung PATA drives in BYTECC USB2 external
    > cases. I was going to do that again, but it looks like large (500GB)
    > PATA drives are a scarce item and SATA is the way to go. So that got
    > me thinking about what to do.

    > The only spare PC box that I have has no monitor and no SATA and
    > limited drive slots, so making my own server would probably mean just
    > buying a new PC system. It seems like overkill, although I suppose it
    > might have some advantages like good cooling and RAID mirroring.

    > The PC I use has internal SATA but not external. In fact it has a SATA
    > RAID controller. Maybe there is a reasonable way to get the SATA out
    > of the box. I suppose there are simple external SATA boxes; does
    > anyone have a particular recommendation?

    > I suppose that if I could run the SATA out to external boxes I might
    > be able to use the PC's RAID facility, but I am not at all sure how
    > the system will respond to having the external drives not always
    > available to the internal controller!

    > Maybe there are external SATA RAID mirroring boxes that don't cost too
    > much; Any specific recommendations?

    > Or does anyone have recommendations on a good plain old SATA drive to
    > UBS2 external box?

    I use two Revoltec Alu Book 2 3.5" with Samsung 500GB SATA drives.

    See my brief review here: http://tinyurl.com/2vxcgc

    These things have eSATA and USB2 and are cooled well enough with
    Samsung drives.

    Arno

  3. Re: external storage

    good point from your review i never though of :-

    A definite advantage is the additional eSATA interface. If allows
    fast access and SMART monitoring and testing without removing
    the disk from the enclosure.

  4. Re: external storage

    Previously novmber wrote:

    > good point from your review i never though of :-

    > A definite advantage is the additional eSATA interface. If allows
    > fast access and SMART monitoring and testing without removing
    > the disk from the enclosure.

    Exactly. I think that periodically removinf the drives physically
    from a case is a pretty high risk and a lot of effort. Better
    to have eSATA in there, even if used ordinarily via USB.

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread