DAT or blue-ray? - Storage

This is a discussion on DAT or blue-ray? - Storage ; With Blue-Ray gaining in popularity, and prices dropping, is it going to replace DVDs as the preferred high capacity storage media? I havent seen new PCs with blue-ray drives installed yet. I have 4 options at this point: stick with ...

  1. DAT or blue-ray?

    With Blue-Ray gaining in popularity, and prices dropping, is it going
    to replace DVDs as the preferred high capacity storage media? I
    havent seen new PCs with blue-ray drives installed yet.
    I have 4 options at this point: stick with DVD's, buy external HDD, or
    tape storage(DDS/DAT). DDS-3 is 12gb & DDS-4 is 20gb, low tape price
    per gb and capacity good enough to back up entire HDD to 10
    tapes($30).
    I am planning to store the back-ups off-site, in a safe deposit box at
    the bank, or my uncle's garage; thus, whatever I choose it cant take
    up too much space.

  2. Re: DAT or blue-ray?

    Gomar wrote:

    > With Blue-Ray gaining in popularity, and prices dropping, is it going
    > to replace DVDs as the preferred high capacity storage media?

    That remains to be seen.

    > I havent seen new PCs with blue-ray drives installed yet.
    > I have 4 options at this point: stick with DVD's, buy external HDD,

    Thats what most do.

    > or tape storage(DDS/DAT).

    That stuff is WAY past its useby date for the backup of personal desktop systems.

    > DDS-3 is 12gb & DDS-4 is 20gb, low tape price per gb and
    > capacity good enough to back up entire HDD to 10 tapes($30).
    > I am planning to store the back-ups off-site, in a safe deposit
    > box at the bank, or my uncle's garage; thus, whatever I
    > choose it cant take up too much space.

    None of the alternative above take up too much space.

  3. Re: DAT or blue-ray?

    On Oct 24, 2:46 pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > > or tape storage(DDS/DAT).

    > That stuff is WAY past its useby date for the backup of personal desktop systems.

    I dont know why you say that considering TDK and Maxell came out with
    higher capacities DAT tapes.

  4. Re: DAT or blue-ray?

    Mr.Bolshoyhuy wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote:

    >>> or tape storage(DDS/DAT).

    >> That stuff is WAY past its useby date for the backup of personal desktop systems.

    > I dont know why you say that considering TDK and
    > Maxell came out with higher capacities DAT tapes.

    Basically lousy value on the cost of the drive, and
    lousy performance compare with a hard drive.

    Reliability in spades.

+ Reply to Thread