What HD should I look at for my DAW PC? - Storage

This is a discussion on What HD should I look at for my DAW PC? - Storage ; Looking for a new hard drive dedicated exclusively to Cakewalk Sonar's audio folder (where all the audio swapping will go down during playback). It will be the 3rd HD on the system (WinXP x64, although I am running 32-bit Sonar ...

  1. What HD should I look at for my DAW PC?

    Looking for a new hard drive dedicated exclusively to Cakewalk Sonar's audio
    folder (where all the audio swapping will go down during playback).

    It will be the 3rd HD on the system (WinXP x64, although I am running 32-bit
    Sonar on it for plugin compatibility reasons), huge in size (500gb minimum)
    and probably SATA (I've 2 SATA slots remaining).

    What do you recommend I get? Raptor? Barracuda? Something else? Fastest seek
    time should probably be #1 priority, right?

    Again, this will be almost ONLY for real-time audio file reading/swapping.

  2. Re: What HD should I look at for my DAW PC?

    On Oct 22, 7:42 pm, "M.J.S." wrote:
    > Looking for a new hard drive dedicated exclusively to Cakewalk Sonar's audio
    > folder (where all the audio swapping will go down during playback).
    >
    > It will be the 3rd HD on the system (WinXP x64, although I am running 32-bit
    > Sonar on it for plugin compatibility reasons), huge in size (500gb minimum)
    > and probably SATA (I've 2 SATA slots remaining).
    >
    > What do you recommend I get? Raptor? Barracuda? Something else? Fastest seek
    > time should probably be #1 priority, right?
    >
    > Again, this will be almost ONLY for real-time audio file reading/swapping.

    Unless you're doing massive file sizes and lots of them, just about
    anything will work these days. I've had great luck with Maxtor drives
    and they are cheap.

  3. Re: What HD should I look at for my DAW PC?

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 22:42:57 -0400, "M.J.S." wrote:

    >Looking for a new hard drive dedicated exclusively to Cakewalk Sonar's audio
    >folder (where all the audio swapping will go down during playback).
    >
    >It will be the 3rd HD on the system (WinXP x64, although I am running 32-bit
    >Sonar on it for plugin compatibility reasons), huge in size (500gb minimum)
    >and probably SATA (I've 2 SATA slots remaining).
    >
    >What do you recommend I get? Raptor? Barracuda? Something else? Fastest seek
    >time should probably be #1 priority, right?
    >
    >Again, this will be almost ONLY for real-time audio file reading/swapping.

    What's audio "swapping"?

    Get the quietest one. Any current drive is well up to the job. If
    you use software synths, put their sample data on a different physical
    drive. But, most important of all, install maximum usable RAM so disk
    accesses can be minimised.

  4. Re: What HD should I look at for my DAW PC?

    On Oct 22, 10:42 pm, "M.J.S." wrote:

    > What do you recommend I get? Raptor? Barracuda? Something else? Fastest seek
    > time should probably be #1 priority, right?

    Actually, unless your computer is in another room, or is already so
    noisy that you won't hear the disk drive, the highest priority is
    something that you won't find in a spec sheet and rarely will find any
    anecdotal reports, and that's mechanical noise. The good news,
    however, is that with today's disk drives, they're all very quiet,
    substantially quieter than drives of ten, or even five years ago. I've
    been buying a new drive for my Mackie hard disk drive every few
    months, and it seems that each one is quieter than the previous one.

    Disk drives are pretty much a commodity item today and there doesn't
    seem to be any particular standouts as to speed, noise, compatibility,
    or reliability. I don't even think the duration of the warranty is an
    indication of how reliable a drive is. No warranty is going to pay you
    to re-record everything that was on the drive when it died. Worst
    case, if you actually have an opportunity to take advantage of the
    warranty, they'll send you a replacement drive.

    Just buy something and don't worry.

  5. Re: What HD should I look at for my DAW PC?

    Gotcha. Thanks Mike (and Danny & Laurence)

    "Mike Rivers" wrote in message
    news:1193138414.825214.15130@z24g2000prh.googlegro ups.com...
    > On Oct 22, 10:42 pm, "M.J.S." wrote:
    >
    >> What do you recommend I get? Raptor? Barracuda? Something else? Fastest
    >> seek
    >> time should probably be #1 priority, right?

    > Disk drives are pretty much a commodity item today and there doesn't
    > seem to be any particular standouts as to speed, noise, compatibility,
    > or reliability. Just buy something and don't worry.

  6. Re: What HD should I look at for my DAW PC?

    "Laurence Payne" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 22:42:57 -0400, "M.J.S." wrote:
    >
    >>Looking for a new hard drive dedicated exclusively to Cakewalk Sonar's
    >>audio
    >>folder (where all the audio swapping will go down during playback).
    >>
    >>It will be the 3rd HD on the system (WinXP x64, although I am running
    >>32-bit
    >>Sonar on it for plugin compatibility reasons), huge in size (500gb
    >>minimum)
    >>and probably SATA (I've 2 SATA slots remaining).
    >>
    >>What do you recommend I get? Raptor? Barracuda? Something else? Fastest
    >>seek
    >>time should probably be #1 priority, right?
    >>
    >>Again, this will be almost ONLY for real-time audio file reading/swapping.

    > What's audio "swapping"?
    >
    > Get the quietest one.

    And if that's the choice, the quiet-pc parts reviews indicate that Sanyo
    makes the quietest drives. Seagate used to, but no longer makes this a
    priority. It should be noted that all 7200 rpm drives are pretty quiet
    these days, but the residual noise may still be audible if a silent pc or
    suitable laptop is used in close proximity to the mikes. I do this, so I
    had to look at the issue.

    Sound Devices uses Sanyo drives in their recorders. They have tested various
    makes for shock resistance, and found that Sanyo drives are the leaders in
    this also. Inspired by the utter quiet of the drives in my SD recorders, I
    re-equipped my laptops with Sanyo 160 gb vertical recording drives. The
    lack of noise is quite gratifying.

    Bob Morein
    (310) 237-6511

  7. Re: What HD should I look at for my DAW PC?

    "Mike Rivers" wrote in message
    news:1193138414.825214.15130@z24g2000prh.googlegro ups.com...
    [snip]
    > Disk drives are pretty much a commodity item today and there doesn't
    > seem to be any particular standouts as to speed, noise, compatibility,
    > or reliability.

    Actually, there are. Sound Devices bought another company's shaker table.
    Their tests indicated that the specced shock resistance had nothing to do
    with the actual experimentally determined values. Samsung topped the list.

    Bob Morein
    (310) 237-6511

  8. Re: What HD should I look at for my DAW PC?

    "Soundhaspriority" wrote in message
    news:OcadnZS2b_iqsYPanZ2dnUVZ_o6knZ2d@giganews.com ...

    > Sound Devices uses Sanyo drives in their recorders. They have tested
    > various makes for shock resistance, and found that Sanyo drives are the
    > leaders in this also. Inspired by the utter quiet of the drives in my SD
    > recorders, I re-equipped my laptops with Sanyo 160 gb vertical recording
    > drives. The lack of noise is quite gratifying.

    Forgive my obstuseness, but what exactly is a vertical recording drive?

  9. Re: What HD should I look at for my DAW PC?

    "M.J.S." wrote in message
    news:471e91e9$0$47115$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readf reenews.net...
    > "Soundhaspriority" wrote in message
    > news:OcadnZS2b_iqsYPanZ2dnUVZ_o6knZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > >
    > > Sound Devices uses Sanyo drives in their recorders. They have tested
    > > various makes for shock resistance, and found that Sanyo drives are the
    > > leaders in this also. Inspired by the utter quiet of the drives in my

    SD
    > > recorders, I re-equipped my laptops with Sanyo 160 gb vertical recording
    > > drives. The lack of noise is quite gratifying.

    > Forgive my obstuseness, but what exactly is a vertical recording drive?

    Don't even think about obtuseness No one should have to apologize for any
    question.

    It refers to a transition in hard disk technology that's covered in the
    trade rags. It's perfectly transparent to you, the user. All 3.5 inch drives
    over 500 gb in capacity use vertical recording, and all 5400 rpm 2.5 inch
    drives over 120 gb of capacity use it. Technically, it means that the
    magnetic flux lines are oriented perpendicular to the platter surface, which
    makes a smaller "domain size" possible, which increases data density.

    Bob Morein
    (310) 237-6511

  10. Re: What HD should I look at for my DAW PC?

    Soundhaspriority wrote:

    > And if that's the choice, the quiet-pc parts reviews indicate that Sanyo
    > makes the quietest drives. Seagate used to, but no longer makes this a
    > priority.

    Are you sure you don't mean Samsung?

    (Silent PC review is a mine of information on keeping PCs quiet, BTW.)

    I've installed a number of Samsung Spinpoint drives and they have
    remained very quiet after a couple of years continous use.

    > It should be noted that all 7200 rpm drives are pretty quiet
    > these days

    True - all drives made in the last few years use a type of bearing that
    is intrinsically quiet and long lasting. Mounting the drives on an
    elastic suspension drmatically reduces seek noise, and the drive noise
    from almost any new HD is less than other noise sources such as the PSU
    and case fans.

    Anahata

  11. Re: What HD should I look at for my DAW PC?

    "Anahata" wrote in message
    > Soundhaspriority wrote:
    > >
    > > And if that's the choice, the quiet-pc parts reviews indicate that

    Sanyo
    > > makes the quietest drives. Seagate used to, but no longer makes this a
    > > priority.

    > Are you sure you don't mean Samsung?
    > http://www.silentpcreview.com/article657-page1.html
    >
    > (Silent PC review is a mine of information on keeping PCs quiet, BTW.)

    Yes, by God! Thanks for the correction.

    Bob Morein
    (310) 237-6511

  12. RE: What HD should I look at for my DAW PC?

    1.) If its SATA Raid make sure the drives are spec'd for RAIS, as they have
    different error correction timing than standard drives

    2.) Obviously look for STATII 3.0GTbits/s

    3.) Heat, look for drives that run cooler (WD, Samsung)

    4.) Cost per MB and performance WD750GB is one of the fastest and best
    values out there the 1TB are still too pricey

    5.) Go to www.tomshardware.com and review their HD Charts for some
    comparisons and reviews.

    --
    Donald C. Burr
    Chief Technology Officer

    "M.J.S." wrote:

    > Looking for a new hard drive dedicated exclusively to Cakewalk Sonar's audio
    > folder (where all the audio swapping will go down during playback).
    >
    > It will be the 3rd HD on the system (WinXP x64, although I am running 32-bit
    > Sonar on it for plugin compatibility reasons), huge in size (500gb minimum)
    > and probably SATA (I've 2 SATA slots remaining).
    >
    > What do you recommend I get? Raptor? Barracuda? Something else? Fastest seek
    > time should probably be #1 priority, right?
    >
    > Again, this will be almost ONLY for real-time audio file reading/swapping.

+ Reply to Thread