SCSI adapter for PCI-E with Ultra 160 and 50 pin external connector - Storage

This is a discussion on SCSI adapter for PCI-E with Ultra 160 and 50 pin external connector - Storage ; Anyone know a vendor or model number for a PCI-E SCSI adapter that's Ultra 160 with 50 pin external connector. We've got a Quantum Superloader 3 tape system and a Dell PowerEdge 1850 but upon opening the PowerEdge up, I've ...

  1. SCSI adapter for PCI-E with Ultra 160 and 50 pin external connector

    Anyone know a vendor or model number for a PCI-E SCSI adapter that's Ultra
    160 with 50 pin external connector. We've got a Quantum Superloader 3 tape
    system and a Dell PowerEdge 1850 but upon opening the PowerEdge up, I've
    discovered it's got PCI-E, not PCI-X as expected.

    PCI-E SCSI cards seem a little rare...

    Thanks, Rob.

  2. Re: SCSI adapter for PCI-E with Ultra 160 and 50 pin external connector

    > Anyone know a vendor or model number for a PCI-E SCSI adapter that's Ultra
    > 160 with 50 pin external connector. We've got a Quantum Superloader 3 tape
    > system and a Dell PowerEdge 1850 but upon opening the PowerEdge up, I've
    > discovered it's got PCI-E, not PCI-X as expected.
    >
    > PCI-E SCSI cards seem a little rare...

    Ohh and it needs to be LVD on the external connector I think.

    Cheers, Rob.

  3. Re: SCSI adapter for PCI-E with Ultra 160 and 50 pin external connector

    > Anyone know a vendor or model number for a PCI-E SCSI adapter that's Ultra
    > 160 with 50 pin external connector. We've got a Quantum Superloader 3 tape

    SCSI makes my head hurt! Am I right in saying that the 50 pin connector is
    also known as the VHDCI connector?

    Thanks, Rob.

  4. Re: SCSI adapter for PCI-E with Ultra 160 and 50 pin external connector

    > SCSI makes my head hurt! Am I right in saying that the 50 pin connector is
    > also known as the VHDCI connector?

    Forget me, I'm rambling - the lead we've got with the Quantum is actually a
    68 pin VHDCI connector so we need a PCI-E with 68-pin VHDCI which you can
    get, such as the Adaptec Ultra320 29320LPE. I assume it's going to be okay
    to use an Ultra 320 device with a the Quantum which says it needs an Ultra
    160 interface.

    Thanks, Rob.

  5. Re: SCSI adapter for PCI-E with Ultra 160 and 50 pin external connector

    On 2007-10-22 16:43, Rob Nicholson wrote:
    > Anyone know a vendor or model number for a PCI-E SCSI adapter that's Ultra
    > 160 with 50 pin external connector. We've got a Quantum Superloader 3 tape
    > system and a Dell PowerEdge 1850 but upon opening the PowerEdge up, I've
    > discovered it's got PCI-E, not PCI-X as expected.
    >
    > PCI-E SCSI cards seem a little rare...
    >
    > Thanks, Rob.

    I don't know of any such interface, but looking at the Dell supplier
    webpage, they seem to offer a PCI-X riser card for the 1850; it might
    allow you to use your pci hba. Dell part no. 330-10032:

    http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna...&sku=330-10032

    /Rolf

  6. Re: SCSI adapter for PCI-E with Ultra 160 and 50 pin external connector

    Hi!

    Rob Nicholson wrote:
    >> SCSI makes my head hurt! Am I right in saying that the 50 pin connector is
    >> also known as the VHDCI connector?

    > Forget me, I'm rambling - the lead we've got with the Quantum is actually a
    > 68 pin VHDCI connector so we need a PCI-E with 68-pin VHDCI which you can
    > get, such as the Adaptec Ultra320 29320LPE. I assume it's going to be okay
    > to use an Ultra 320 device with a the Quantum which says it needs an Ultra
    > 160 interface.

    Yes, I'm using 29320 LPE for connecting external SCSI (primary tape)
    devices on Dell server systems, cause all new servers are coming with
    PCI express by default. Unfortunately, Dell does not have PCI express
    controller in product portfolio.

    I would not suggest to change riser (to PCI-X).

    best regards,

    Iggy

  7. Re: SCSI adapter for PCI-E with Ultra 160 and 50 pin external connector

    > Yes, I'm using 29320 LPE for connecting external SCSI (primary tape)
    > devices on Dell server systems, cause all new servers are coming with

    29320 LPE it is then...

    Thanks, Rob.

  8. Re: SCSI adapter for PCI-E with Ultra 160 and 50 pin external connector

    On Oct 23, 3:59 am, "Rob Nicholson" direct.com> wrote:
    > > Yes, I'm using 29320 LPE for connecting external SCSI (primary tape)
    > > devices on Dell server systems, cause all new servers are coming with

    > 29320 LPE it is then...
    >
    > Thanks, Rob.

    Another good choice would be the LSI Logic LSI20320IE which is a 4-
    lane (PCIe X 4) card. It give you higher throughput than the Adaptec,
    wich is only 1-lane (PCIe X1) and can easily sustain the throughput
    required for Ultra 320 deives such as hard drives.

    http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/prod...0ie/index.html

  9. Re: SCSI adapter for PCI-E with Ultra 160 and 50 pin external connector

    RonnieJP wrote in news:1193164197.527403.229930@z24g2000prh.googlegr oups.com
    > On Oct 23, 3:59 am, "Rob Nicholson" > direct.com> wrote:
    > > > Yes, I'm using 29320 LPE for connecting external SCSI (primary tape)
    > > > devices on Dell server systems, cause all new servers are coming with

    > > 29320 LPE it is then...
    > >
    > > Thanks, Rob.

    > Another good choice would be the LSI Logic LSI20320IE which is a 4-
    > lane (PCIe X 4) card.

    > It give you higher throughput than the Adaptec,

    No it won't.

    > wich is only 1-lane (PCIe X1) and can easily sustain the throughput
    > required for Ultra 320 deives such as hard drives.
    >
    > http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/prod...0ie/index.html

  10. Re: SCSI adapter for PCI-E with Ultra 160 and 50 pin external connector

    Rolf Blom wrote in news:ffihfs$hdi$1@news.al.sw.ericsson.se
    > On 2007-10-22 16:43, Rob Nicholson wrote:
    > > Anyone know a vendor or model number for a PCI-E SCSI adapter that's Ultra
    > > 160 with 50 pin external connector. We've got a Quantum Superloader 3 tape
    > > system and a Dell PowerEdge 1850 but upon opening the PowerEdge up, I've
    > > discovered it's got PCI-E, not PCI-X as expected.

    > > PCI-E SCSI cards seem a little rare...

    Maybe because they are called *PCIe*, not PCI-E?

    > > Thanks, Rob.
    > >

    > I don't know of any such interface, but looking at the Dell supplier
    > webpage, they seem to offer a PCI-X riser card for the 1850; it might
    > allow you to use your pci hba. Dell part no. 330-10032:
    >
    > http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna...&sku=330-10032
    >

    > /Rolf

  11. Re: SCSI adapter for PCI-E with Ultra 160 and 50 pin external connector

    Rob Nicholson wrote in news:7cOdnYMRMI6bJIHanZ2dnUVZ8tqinZ2d@bt.com
    > > Anyone know a vendor or model number for a PCI-E SCSI adapter that's Ultra
    > > 160 with 50 pin external connector. We've got a Quantum Superloader 3 tape

    > SCSI makes my head hurt! Am I right in saying that the 50 pin connector is
    > also known as the VHDCI connector?

    Nope.

    > Thanks, Rob.

+ Reply to Thread