dirt cheap drives website? - Storage

This is a discussion on dirt cheap drives website? - Storage ; I remember a company a few years ago that sold only hard drives at decent prices which I thought was called dirtcheapdrives.com. But now that address links to another company's name, they are selling much more than drives, and the ...

  1. dirt cheap drives website?

    I remember a company a few years ago that sold only hard drives at
    decent prices which I thought was called dirtcheapdrives.com. But now
    that address links to another company's name, they are selling much more
    than drives, and the prices don't look so great. Am I remembering the
    wrong address or is the old company out of business?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: dirt cheap drives website?

    In article ,
    TH O wrote:
    >I remember a company a few years ago that sold only hard drives at
    >decent prices which I thought was called dirtcheapdrives.com. But now
    >that address links to another company's name, they are selling much more
    >than drives, and the prices don't look so great. Am I remembering the
    >wrong address or is the old company out of business?
    >
    >Thanks.

    That's a name out of the past. I used to give the lots of business and
    they were good people. The URL looks right.

    At some point they merged with Megahaus but that now also redirects to
    the same place. Even if they were still doing business as DCD, there
    is little chance that they would still be the low cost providers they
    were.

    Things change. Welcome to the 21st century.

    pricewatch.com and www.resellerratings.com are what I use today if I
    want to make sure that my regular source is giving me a good price. I
    don't buy from an a source that is unknown to be just to save a couple
    bucks.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

  3. Re: dirt cheap drives website?

    TH O wrote:

    > I remember a company a few years ago that sold only hard drives
    > at decent prices which I thought was called dirtcheapdrives.com.
    > But now that address links to another company's name, they are
    > selling much more than drives, and the prices don't look so great.
    > Am I remembering the wrong address

    Nope, you're remembering it correctly.

    > or is the old company out of business?

    Yep, it wasnt a viable 'model'