What's required to connect WD SATA to motherboard - Storage

This is a discussion on What's required to connect WD SATA to motherboard - Storage ; On my Asus P5PE VM motherboard I have what seems to be an SATA1 connector but I wish to buy a WD SATA2 drive (Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM). I read something about ...

  1. What's required to connect WD SATA to motherboard

    On my Asus P5PE VM motherboard I have what seems to be an SATA1
    connector but I wish to buy a WD SATA2 drive (Western Digital Caviar
    SE16 500GB Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM). I read something
    about legacy power support. I have no idea if my system has it. I am
    not sure if any connector comes with an OEM either.

    I read this FAQ which confused the heck out of me:

    " You'll need two cables. A 7 pin data cable, and a 15 pin power cable.
    The data cable should come with your motherboard, or you can pick them
    up at a local PC shop for next to nothing. Most SATA drives can take
    either 4 pin legacy power or 15 pin SATA power. NEVER use both power
    connectors. I speak from first hand experience in saying that you can
    ruin a SATA hard drive this way. Some newer power supplies come with
    SATA power leads. They are nice to have, but not necessary. If you want
    to use a SATA power connector, but don't have a SATA power capable power
    supply, you can buy a 4 pin legacy power to 15 pin SATA power adapter.
    If you buy a Western Digital SATA drive, they come with a cable called
    "Secure Connect". One end plugs in to your motherboard, the other
    connects to the hard drive, covering both the data and power connections
    on the drive. This does not provide power for your Western Digital
    drive, it's for data transfer only. This serves two purposes: It covers
    the SATA power connection on the drive, so you have to use a 4 pin
    legacy connector. Secondly, it keeps the connection secure - early SATA
    drives were notorious for loose connectors. "

    What do I need to do to ensure this drive works fine either as a slave
    or as the main drive?

    Thanks

  2. Re: What's required to connect WD SATA to motherboard

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 07:48:05 GMT, "Why Not" wrote:

    >What do I need to do to ensure this drive works fine either as a slave
    >or as the main drive?

    I was under the impression that SATA drives don't need to be
    configured as master or slave.
    --
    "Those of us whose brains did not die in college are
    actually stunned by just how stupid academic ideas

  3. Re: What's required to connect WD SATA to motherboard

    Why Not wrote

    > On my Asus P5PE VM motherboard I have what seems to be an SATA1
    > connector but I wish to buy a WD SATA2 drive (Western Digital Caviar
    > SE16 500GB Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM). I read
    > something about legacy power support. I have no idea if my system has it.

    Yes it does, thats the flat 4 pin power connector used for the optical drives.

    > I am not sure if any connector comes with an OEM either.

    Usually not.

    > I read this FAQ which confused the heck out of me:

    > " You'll need two cables. A 7 pin data cable, and a 15 pin power
    > cable. The data cable should come with your motherboard, or you can
    > pick them up at a local PC shop for next to nothing. Most SATA drives
    > can take either 4 pin legacy power or 15 pin SATA power. NEVER use
    > both power connectors. I speak from first hand experience in saying
    > that you can ruin a SATA hard drive this way. Some newer power
    > supplies come with SATA power leads. They are nice to have, but not
    > necessary. If you want to use a SATA power connector, but don't have
    > a SATA power capable power supply, you can buy a 4 pin legacy power
    > to 15 pin SATA power adapter. If you buy a Western Digital SATA
    > drive, they come with a cable called "Secure Connect". One end plugs
    > in to your motherboard, the other connects to the hard drive,
    > covering both the data and power connections on the drive. This does
    > not provide power for your Western Digital drive, it's for data
    > transfer only. This serves two purposes: It covers the SATA power
    > connection on the drive, so you have to use a 4 pin legacy connector.
    > Secondly, it keeps the connection secure - early SATA drives were
    > notorious for loose connectors. "

    > What do I need to do to ensure this drive works
    > fine either as a slave or as the main drive?

    Nothing special, and sata drives dont have master and slave either.

+ Reply to Thread