Disk reporting SMART BAD - Storage

This is a discussion on Disk reporting SMART BAD - Storage ; I hit F4 to continue and it tries to boot into windows. Fails and reboots again. I assume this is bad!!!! Tried to get into BIOS but it asks for password and then goes straight back to SMART BAD screen.......

  1. Disk reporting SMART BAD

    I hit F4 to continue and it tries to boot into windows. Fails and
    reboots again.

    I assume this is bad!!!!

    Tried to get into BIOS but it asks for password and then goes straight
    back to SMART BAD screen....

  2. Re: Disk reporting SMART BAD

    Previously BertieBigBollox@gmail.com wrote:
    > I hit F4 to continue and it tries to boot into windows. Fails and
    > reboots again.

    > I assume this is bad!!!!

    > Tried to get into BIOS but it asks for password and then goes straight
    > back to SMART BAD screen....

    Very bad, considering the optimistic SMART thresholds set by most
    HDD vendors.

    If you have current backups, just scrap the disk. If not, this may
    get painful. Your bets bet is professional data recovery. It will
    be expensive, but may get your data back.

    As for doing some analysis yourself, you obviosly need a different
    boot-device for that. One possibility would be to mount the disk
    in a different computer. Another one is to get a knoppix CD Linux
    and use smartctl to dsplay the SMART attributes.

    Arno

  3. Re: Disk reporting SMART BAD

    On 19 Oct, 02:25, Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously BertieBigBol...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I hit F4 to continue and it tries to boot into windows. Fails and
    > > reboots again.
    > > I assume this is bad!!!!
    > > Tried to get into BIOS but it asks for password and then goes straight
    > > back to SMART BAD screen....

    > Very bad, considering the optimistic SMART thresholds set by most
    > HDD vendors.
    >
    > If you have current backups, just scrap the disk. If not, this may
    > get painful. Your bets bet is professional data recovery. It will
    > be expensive, but may get your data back.
    >
    > As for doing some analysis yourself, you obviosly need a different
    > boot-device for that. One possibility would be to mount the disk
    > in a different computer. Another one is to get a knoppix CD Linux
    > and use smartctl to dsplay the SMART attributes.
    >
    > Arno

    I was thinking of ultimate boot cd....

  4. Re: Disk reporting SMART BAD

    Previously BertieBigBollox@gmail.com wrote:
    > On 19 Oct, 02:25, Arno Wagner wrote:
    >> Previously BertieBigBol...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> > I hit F4 to continue and it tries to boot into windows. Fails and
    >> > reboots again.
    >> > I assume this is bad!!!!
    >> > Tried to get into BIOS but it asks for password and then goes straight
    >> > back to SMART BAD screen....

    >> Very bad, considering the optimistic SMART thresholds set by most
    >> HDD vendors.
    >>
    >> If you have current backups, just scrap the disk. If not, this may
    >> get painful. Your bets bet is professional data recovery. It will
    >> be expensive, but may get your data back.
    >>
    >> As for doing some analysis yourself, you obviosly need a different
    >> boot-device for that. One possibility would be to mount the disk
    >> in a different computer. Another one is to get a knoppix CD Linux
    >> and use smartctl to dsplay the SMART attributes.
    >>
    >> Arno

    > I was thinking of ultimate boot cd....

    If it allows MSRT access, then try it.

    Arno

  5. Re: Disk reporting SMART BAD

    On 19 Oct, 15:01, Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously BertieBigBol...@gmail.com wrote:

    > >> Very bad, considering the optimistic SMART thresholds set by most
    > >> HDD vendors.

    > >> If you have current backups, just scrap the disk. If not, this may
    > >> get painful. Your bets bet is professional data recovery. It will
    > >> be expensive, but may get your data back.

    > >> As for doing some analysis yourself, you obviosly need a different
    > >> boot-device for that. One possibility would be to mount the disk
    > >> in a different computer. Another one is to get a knoppix CD Linux
    > >> and use smartctl to dsplay the SMART attributes.

    > >> Arno

    > > I was thinking of ultimate boot cd....

    > If it allows MSRT access, then try it.
    >
    > Arno

    MSRT?

  6. Re: Disk reporting SMART BAD

    BertieBigBollox@gmail.com wrote in
    news:1192803253.294365.309920@v29g2000prd.googlegr oups.com
    > On 19 Oct, 15:01, Arno Wagner wrote:
    > > Previously BertieBigBol...@gmail.com wrote:

    > > > I was thinking of ultimate boot cd....

    > > If it allows MSRT access, then try it.
    > >
    > > Arno

    > MSRT?

    bets dsplay obviosly.

  7. Re: Disk reporting SMART BAD

    Previously BertieBigBollox@gmail.com wrote:
    > On 19 Oct, 15:01, Arno Wagner wrote:
    >> Previously BertieBigBol...@gmail.com wrote:

    >> > I was thinking of ultimate boot cd....

    >> If it allows MSRT access, then try it.
    >>
    >> Arno

    > MSRT?

    Opps, sorry. I meant SMART...

    Arno

  8. Re: Disk reporting SMART BAD

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously BertieBigBollox@gmail.com
    > wrote:
    >> On 19 Oct, 15:01, Arno Wagner wrote:
    >>> Previously BertieBigBol...@gmail.com

    >>> If it allows MSRT access, then try it.
    >>>
    >>> Arno

    >> MSRT?

    > Opps, sorry. I meant SMART...

    Fark, what drugs is this clown on ?

  9. Re: Disk reporting SMART BAD

    Strange...

    Booted from ultimate boot cd and ran a few disk diagnostics. All came
    up OK.

    Does this mean disk is OK ???

  10. Re: Disk reporting SMART BAD

    Previously BertieBigBollox@gmail.com wrote:
    > Strange...

    > Booted from ultimate boot cd and ran a few disk diagnostics. All came
    > up OK.

    > Does this mean disk is OK ???

    Depends very much on the type of diagnostics. Limited read tests can
    very well work, even if the disk is dying. Example: There may
    be massive surface damage, but localized to one area. If a test
    does not touch this area, it may not find any problems.

    In short: It may not mean anything. As I said, SMART failures are
    reported rather late into a disk problem by most disks in my
    experience.

    The only thing to be reasonably reliable is to run a long SMART
    selftest and to look at the SMART attributes before and after.
    If you have trouble interpreting the SMART attributes, post the
    results here.

    Arno

  11. Re: Disk reporting SMART BAD

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:5nte39FjlrajU1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously BertieBigBollox@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Strange...

    > > Booted from ultimate boot cd and ran a few disk diagnostics. All came
    > > up OK.

    > > Does this mean disk is OK ???

    > Depends very much on the type of diagnostics. Limited read tests can
    > very well work, even if the disk is dying.

    > Example: There may be massive surface damage, but localized to one
    > area. If a test does not touch this area, it may not find any problems.

    Babblebot the Idjut, as always.

    If there is massive damage to the surface then there is massive damage
    to the heads as well.

    > In short: It may not mean anything. As I said, SMART failures are re-
    > ported rather late into a disk problem by most disks in my experience.
    >
    > The only thing to be reasonably reliable is to run a long SMART
    > selftest and to look at the SMART attributes before and after.
    > If you have trouble interpreting the SMART attributes, post the
    > results here.
    >
    > Arno

+ Reply to Thread