network backup service providers - Storage

This is a discussion on network backup service providers - Storage ; We currently have tapeback-up solution for backing up 10 workstations and two file servers in small sized shop. Files consists of documents files and small mssql database, small mysql database. We want to explore the ways to back-up via online ...

  1. network backup service providers

    We currently have tapeback-up solution for backing up 10 workstations
    and two file servers in small sized shop.
    Files consists of documents files and small mssql database, small
    mysql database.
    We want to explore the ways to back-up via online at night. Our full
    backup is about 50GB in size. We have raid5 local backup server for
    daily backup on site.

    The plan is to upload Friday's full snapshot onto network backup
    service over the weekend.

    We'll be using a cable modem with 10Mbit down / 3Mbits up.
    10 Windows XP Pro clients and 2 Windows 2003 Servers.

    Can someone recommand any good network backup service provider?

    I am currently evaluating following service providers.

    1. Intronis technologies
    http://www.intronis.com

    2. evalut
    http://www.evault.com/small-business/

    3. ironmountain
    http://backup.ironmountain.com/

    Paul

  2. Re: network backup service providers

    Previously oktokie wrote:
    > We currently have tapeback-up solution for backing up 10 workstations
    > and two file servers in small sized shop.
    > Files consists of documents files and small mssql database, small
    > mysql database.
    > We want to explore the ways to back-up via online at night. Our full
    > backup is about 50GB in size. We have raid5 local backup server for
    > daily backup on site.

    > The plan is to upload Friday's full snapshot onto network backup
    > service over the weekend.

    > We'll be using a cable modem with 10Mbit down / 3Mbits up.
    > 10 Windows XP Pro clients and 2 Windows 2003 Servers.

    > Can someone recommand any good network backup service provider?

    > I am currently evaluating following service providers.

    > 1. Intronis technologies
    > http://www.intronis.com

    > 2. evalut
    > http://www.evault.com/small-business/

    > 3. ironmountain
    > http://backup.ironmountain.com/

    > Paul

    Looking recently I found that there were no reasonably priced offers.
    That may have changed. My solution was to rent a vserver with ehoung
    space, which turned out to be cheaper. But I have significnatly
    lower requirements that you do.

    For your data-sitze, your upload will take soemthing like 50 hours,
    iv everything works smoothly. I would say that such an installation
    is only borderline functional. If your backup fails, you cannot halt
    everything and restart it. You might have to run for a full week
    without backup even to diagnose the problem.

    A better option is to invest into a professional tape drive,
    do your backup Thursday->Friday night and have an emplyee
    take the tape home. Much cheaper and much more resilient.
    Also there is considerable headroom, for example if you get
    a 200GB drive. With your internet connection, even 20GB more could
    mean that the backup cannot finish until Monday morning.

    Arno

  3. Re: network backup service providers

    The livevault service is great. www.livevault.com

    But I use them for small remote offices which do not have databases, tape
    drives and people to manage both. We do not use them for exchange or
    databases because you really can't restore individual items, at least not
    yet. But I do like that their agents backup in real time as a snapshot so if
    a user deletes a file he just created today, we can restore it in just a
    couple minutes, and do so over the web from any internet connected computer.

    We have been a customer for a long time so we get a pretty good deal at
    $11.00 per GB per month by paying for the year in advance. Every year we
    renew and ask them to lower the price. We have only a 35GB plan but it's
    spread over three locations and six servers. We get an unlimited number of
    servers, by the way.

    LiveVault is now owned by Iron Mountain and if you call them direct they
    will probably want to charge a lot more. We use a reseller who helps us get
    a better price. A Google search should turn up some resellers, such as
    http://isc-support.com.

    "oktokie" wrote in message
    news:1192728671.900146.142450@v29g2000prd.googlegr oups.com...
    > We currently have tapeback-up solution for backing up 10 workstations
    > and two file servers in small sized shop.
    > Files consists of documents files and small mssql database, small
    > mysql database.
    > We want to explore the ways to back-up via online at night. Our full
    > backup is about 50GB in size. We have raid5 local backup server for
    > daily backup on site.
    >
    > The plan is to upload Friday's full snapshot onto network backup
    > service over the weekend.
    >
    > We'll be using a cable modem with 10Mbit down / 3Mbits up.
    > 10 Windows XP Pro clients and 2 Windows 2003 Servers.
    >
    > Can someone recommand any good network backup service provider?
    >
    > I am currently evaluating following service providers.
    >
    > 1. Intronis technologies
    > http://www.intronis.com
    >
    > 2. evalut
    > http://www.evault.com/small-business/