DVD writer has stopped reading/writing CD's - Storage

This is a discussion on DVD writer has stopped reading/writing CD's - Storage ; One of my systems has a couple of DVD writers, and one of them has stopped functioning on CD's completely. It can't read them, it can't write them. I've tried it under both XP 32-bit, and Linux 64-bit, and it's ...

  1. DVD writer has stopped reading/writing CD's

    One of my systems has a couple of DVD writers, and one of them has
    stopped functioning on CD's completely. It can't read them, it can't
    write them. I've tried it under both XP 32-bit, and Linux 64-bit, and
    it's the same in both cases: so it's a hardware issue. The drive
    continues to operate on DVD's with no problem. The other drive is
    unaffected. The one with the problem is a Lite-On SOHW-1633S. What could
    be causing this odd behaviour?

  2. Re: DVD writer has stopped reading/writing CD's

    On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 12:05:41 -0400, Yousuf Khan
    wrote:

    >One of my systems has a couple of DVD writers, and one of them has
    >stopped functioning on CD's completely. It can't read them, it can't
    >write them. I've tried it under both XP 32-bit, and Linux 64-bit, and
    >it's the same in both cases: so it's a hardware issue. The drive
    >continues to operate on DVD's with no problem. The other drive is
    >unaffected. The one with the problem is a Lite-On SOHW-1633S. What could
    >be causing this odd behaviour?

    Different frequencies of light are needed to read/write CDs and DVDs.
    Your drive probably uses two different lasers to to produce the two
    different frequencies and the one used for CDs has died.

    If your drive uses only one laser, then the associated circuit
    that changes the light frequency has broken.

    DVD writers are fairly cheap nowadays, so it's likely not worth
    the time to try and fix.

  3. Re: DVD writer has stopped reading/writing CD's

    "Mike Paff" wrote in message news:vv7fh35b7lanbeo9l9vot16s34tdpm1s5m@4ax.com...

    > Different frequencies of light are needed to read/write CDs and DVDs.
    > Your drive probably uses two different lasers to to produce the two
    > different frequencies and the one used for CDs has died.

    Nonsense. CD was IR, DVD is red. Red works fine for both.

  4. Re: DVD writer has stopped reading/writing CD's

    The head cannot move the 0.5mm towards the top where CD's pits are.

    "Yousuf Khan" wrote in message news:FcqdnaShmJ3KGYra4p2dnAA@giganews.com...
    > One of my systems has a couple of DVD writers, and one of them has
    > stopped functioning on CD's completely. It can't read them, it can't
    > write them. I've tried it under both XP 32-bit, and Linux 64-bit, and
    > it's the same in both cases: so it's a hardware issue. The drive
    > continues to operate on DVD's with no problem. The other drive is
    > unaffected. The one with the problem is a Lite-On SOHW-1633S. What could
    > be causing this odd behaviour?

  5. Re: DVD writer has stopped reading/writing CD's

    Eric Gisin wrote:
    > The head cannot move the 0.5mm towards the top where CD's pits are.

    Are you saying CD's are offset everywhere by this 0.5mm or just at the
    top? And where is the top, towards the centre of the disk or the outside?

  6. Re: DVD writer has stopped reading/writing CD's

    Mike Paff wrote:
    > Different frequencies of light are needed to read/write CDs and DVDs.
    > Your drive probably uses two different lasers to to produce the two
    > different frequencies and the one used for CDs has died.
    >
    > If your drive uses only one laser, then the associated circuit
    > that changes the light frequency has broken.
    >
    > DVD writers are fairly cheap nowadays, so it's likely not worth
    > the time to try and fix.

    To fill in some additional detail, I recall that this kind of thing
    happened to me once before, and I'm not sure if it happened on this same
    drive or the other one. The solution turned out to be a complete Windows
    XP reinstall from scratch. Have no idea why this would help, but I
    didn't have Linux running previously so I don't know if it was exactly
    the same problem.

    Do you think perhaps the proximity of these two drives (one is sitting
    right over top of the other) might affect this? Perhaps one drive starts
    to overheat due to the activity of the other?

  7. Re: DVD writer has stopped reading/writing CD's

    "Yousuf Khan" wrote in message news:LLWdnbUzxJh0WIra4p2dnAA@giganews.com...
    > Eric Gisin wrote:
    >> The head cannot move the 0.5mm towards the top where CD's pits are.

    > Are you saying CD's are offset everywhere by this 0.5mm or just at the
    > top? And where is the top, towards the centre of the disk or the outside?

    The pits on CDs are just below the top label, and DVDs are right in the middle.
    Both are 1.2mm thick. Why don't you remove the drive a give it a whack?

  8. Re: DVD writer has stopped reading/writing CD's

    Previously Yousuf Khan wrote:
    > One of my systems has a couple of DVD writers, and one of them has
    > stopped functioning on CD's completely. It can't read them, it can't
    > write them. I've tried it under both XP 32-bit, and Linux 64-bit, and
    > it's the same in both cases: so it's a hardware issue. The drive
    > continues to operate on DVD's with no problem. The other drive is
    > unaffected. The one with the problem is a Lite-On SOHW-1633S. What could
    > be causing this odd behaviour?

    CD and DVD use separate systems, possibly even separate lenses.
    You can try a CD drive cleaner disk. If that does mot work, best
    to replace the drive.

    Arno

  9. Re: DVD writer has stopped reading/writing CD's

    Yousuf Khan wrote in news:FcqdnaShmJ3KGYra4p2dnAA@giganews.com
    > One of my systems has a couple of DVD writers, and one of them has
    > stopped functioning on CD's completely. It can't read them, it can't
    > write them. I've tried it under both XP 32-bit, and Linux 64-bit, and
    > it's the same in both cases: so it's a hardware issue. The drive
    > continues to operate on DVD's with no problem. The other drive is
    > unaffected. The one with the problem is a Lite-On SOHW-1633S.

    I have the same drive.
    On mine though the DVD R/W capability has gone and CD is fine.

    I also have a Samsung Combo that reads only DVDs

    > What could be causing this odd behaviour?

    Yep, that I wouldn't mind knowing too. Sofar, I'm with Paff.

  10. Re: DVD writer has stopped reading/writing CD's

    On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 12:05:41 -0400, Yousuf Khan put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >One of my systems has a couple of DVD writers, and one of them has
    >stopped functioning on CD's completely. It can't read them, it can't
    >write them. I've tried it under both XP 32-bit, and Linux 64-bit, and
    >it's the same in both cases: so it's a hardware issue. The drive
    >continues to operate on DVD's with no problem. The other drive is
    >unaffected. The one with the problem is a Lite-On SOHW-1633S. What could
    >be causing this odd behaviour?

    All you needed to do to confirm whether the drive could read CDs was
    to load an audio CD and listen for music at the headphone socket.

    - Franc Zabkar

  11. Re: DVD writer has stopped reading/writing CD's

    On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 12:43:40 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >"Mike Paff" wrote in message news:vv7fh35b7lanbeo9l9vot16s34tdpm1s5m@4ax.com...
    >>
    >> Different frequencies of light are needed to read/write CDs and DVDs.
    >> Your drive probably uses two different lasers to to produce the two
    >> different frequencies and the one used for CDs has died.
    >>

    >Nonsense. CD was IR, DVD is red. Red works fine for both.

    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20030147331.html

    "... a DVD optical pickup using 650 nm laser can read both the CD disc
    and the DVD disc. However, for historical reasons, the CD-Recordable
    (CD-R) discs contain a dye, which can only be detected by 780 nm
    lasers. As a result, most DVD optical pickups today contain two
    lasers: one with 780 nm wavelength for reading the CD discs including
    the CD-R and CD-RW discs and one with 650 nm wavelength for reading
    DVD discs."

    - Franc Zabkar